Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

A few questions from an overwhelmed geek girl

OP graphixgurl747

2nd September 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Hi everyone,
I just bought my new Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and now I'm on to buying accessories. I'm a bit sleep deprived from going down the internet rabbit hole reading reviews and such on the accessories I'm considering (among job stress - woot). I'm not trying to be a schmuck (I swear) by posting this I'm just trying to consolidate my thoughts and get quick input from you awesome people. If the post is deemed inappropriate please nicely message me and I'll delete it. I did try searching for keywords for brands/products before writing but I realize this product is newer so there aren't a million in depth reviews of a million products.

Mainly I bought this tablet because I'm going on a trip out of town and I need to be able to show off my portfolio (I'm a graphic designer) on a few agency interviews in 3 weeks in addition to entertaining myself at the airport and on mass transit on my trip. Otherwise I would have waited until it went on sale or xmas to be honest.

On a day to day basis I would like to do the following with this tablet:
- surf the web
- watch movies
- read
- do light word processing/office/email stuff
- sketch

What I plan on buying I tried to post links to everything but apparently I'm too new a user and had to remove them:
- a case
- screen protector
- bluetooth keyboard
- stylus
- micro sd card

Case:
For a case I'd love to have something very similar to what I currently use on my old Nook Tablet and love Speck FitFolio (speckproducts.com/tablets/nook/fitfolio-for-nook-hd.html) since it has some protection along the edges and closes shut. At the least I want to add some kind of decent edge protection along with a cover that stays close (with magnets, a band, etc). I don't want something as bulky as an otterbox (which doesn't make a case yet for this anyway) and I do want something that covers the front and back.

As far as cases go I've read a ton of reviews on here about the Samsung Book Cover and it seems that most people like it. My main concern is that there is no edge protection and the cost. I've also read about the Poetic Slimbook and that is more mixed but that at least offers some edge protection. Another one that I saw on Amazon and looked interesting is the RooCase Origami case. I'd love some thoughts from you all considering the specific goals for the case.

Screen protector:
I've always been afraid of wet application screen protectors but from the reviews I've read they seem pretty straight forward and perhaps a bit more awesome than the static cling types I've been using. I'm not dead set either way. The Zagg is the one I'm most familiar with but they aren't making one yet for this tablet it seems. The ones I've seen for the tablet are the ArmorSuit Military Shield and the SkinomiŪ TechSkin . A few others I read about on the XDA forum are the AmFilm and the iLLumiShield.

Bluetooth Keyboard:
Don't need anything fancy but I like that the 2 I've seen and like so far have a cover/case that can be manipulated into a stand.
- Logitech Tablet Keyboard
- Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard

Stylus:
It seems the S Pen won't work on this tablet since it's not a Note series so I want something that's better than the chubby typical stylus I already have. I haven't messed around with these in a long time so it seems I need a capacitive stylus. I will have a screen protector on this so it needs to play nice with it.

I would like to do some drawing and the best app I've seen is the AutoDesk SketchBook app (yes I realize the iPad has so many more awesome drawing apps than Android but I felt for the amount of time I would be spending drawing vs the trade-offs of getting an iPad it wasn't worth it).

The Adonit Jot Pro seems to be popular but will it scratch my screen?

Then there are the other stylus with a thinner, more pen like point that I think I like, such as the Dart Precision Touch but I don't think I can shell out that much for something that isn't mandatory for me to function day to day and the Samsun C Pen but it seems that is getting mixed reviews.

Ok, that's my seriously long post. If you've read this much I salute you and will consider it a mitzvah so thank you!!

Dawn aka GraphixGurl
2nd September 2014, 09:26 PM   |  #2  
gcappa's Avatar
Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3
 
99 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
I have the Logitech BT keyboard. Although it works perfectly, you have to install batteries. And I always forget to turn it off when I finish, and the batteries are always drained next time I use it. The device needs to turn itself off after awhile. Maybe there is a way I'll have to look into it.

I also heard the Samsung pen for the galaxy S3 works perfectly.

And there's tons of cases and screen protectors on ebay. I'll be ordering the glass one soon from Asia.

Best tablet ever.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I mean the stand alone BT keyboard, not the attached case/keyboard that Logitech sells. Unfortunately they don't sell it for 8.4 inch tab.
2nd September 2014, 09:49 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcappa

I have the Logitech BT keyboard. Although it works perfectly, you have to install batteries. And I always forget to turn it off when I finish, and the batteries are always drained next time I use it. The device needs to turn itself off after awhile. Maybe there is a way I'll have to look into it.

I also heard the Samsung pen for the galaxy S3 works perfectly.

And there's tons of cases and screen protectors on ebay. I'll be ordering the glass one soon from Asia.

Best tablet ever.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I mean the stand alone BT keyboard, not the attached case/keyboard that Logitech sells. Unfortunately they don't sell it for 8.4 inch tab.


Good point about the keyboard battery. The Microsoft one can shut off when you replace the cover but from quick googling it appears the Logitech one has to be shut off.

Do you mean the Samsung C-Pen? The reviews look mixed online so I was curious how other people liked it.
3rd September 2014, 11:30 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple_nut

Honestly, the C-Pen is terrible!!!!!!!

I picked up theDart Stylus by Precision Touch a few weeks ago and I have not stopped using this stylus. It has to be the best money I spent on an accessory in a while. Not only is the Dart cool to look at (People are always asking me about it in class) but it writes just like a regular pen and it really looks like my own handwriting.

Finally my notes are readable.

I think you will be really happy with the Dart stylus if you try it out. BTW, it's on sale for $59 right now too in case that helps.

you can pick it up at precisiontouch. com

Are you an advertiser? All three of your posts are about that stylus and where people can go to buy it.
4th September 2014, 03:47 AM   |  #5  
skeeterpro's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Iowa
Thanks Meter: 135
 
918 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Tempered Glass screen protector....a must in my opinion. Bit more costly but well worth it. Such as this.

As far as a case....I have this one for my 8.4 and love it. YMMV.


HTH
5th September 2014, 01:38 AM   |  #6  
Roocase's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Chino
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
436
Regarding the cases between the Origami and Poetic slimline LifeHacker did a pretty unbiased review of a few including a few others that might help. Although they are for the Nexus 7, they should be relatively comparable on the features & specs for your Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tablet.

On some of the others I've checked out.

Screen protector you'll definitely want to go a 9H Tempered Glass for the protector. Checking specs for AmFilm and the iLLumiShield, I don't see a hardness level listed, so I can't really say if if it has max level scratch and abrasion resistance, nor for the SkinomiŪ TechSkin or ArmorSuit Military Shield. Of course the touch screen sensitivity definitely matters too. Even though through checking reviews, the iLLumiShield seems to be the most popular, so with that many happy people, it might be a good one to go with!

Bluetooth keyboard, the AnkerŪ Bluetooth Ultra-Slim Keyboard for Galaxy Tabs seems to be a really decent seller, low in price and high in reviews, so this may also be something to check out.

Not really too familiar with stylus, so perhaps some others could chime in =)
Last edited by Roocase; 5th September 2014 at 01:44 AM.
5th September 2014, 03:46 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterpro

Tempered Glass screen protector....a must in my opinion. Bit more costly but well worth it. Such as this.

As far as a case....I have this one for my 8.4 and love it. YMMV.


HTH

I ended up going with the Skinomi Tech Glass - I've never dealt with these so hopefully I won't screw it up. A few people mentioned building a hinge with tape to help put it on (along with being in a steamy bathroom). If anyone else has any hints about applying this I'm all ears. I've put on screen protector films before but it is stressful. A few of the companies mentioned by you guys don't have protectors for the tab s yet since it's so new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roocase

Regarding the cases between the Origami and Poetic slimline LifeHacker did a pretty unbiased review of a few including a few others that might help. Although they are for the Nexus 7, they should be relatively comparable on the features & specs for your Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tablet.

On some of the others I've checked out.

Screen protector you'll definitely want to go a 9H Tempered Glass for the protector. Checking specs for AmFilm and the iLLumiShield, I don't see a hardness level listed, so I can't really say if if it has max level scratch and abrasion resistance, nor for the SkinomiŪ TechSkin or ArmorSuit Military Shield. Of course the touch screen sensitivity definitely matters too. Even though through checking reviews, the iLLumiShield seems to be the most popular, so with that many happy people, it might be a good one to go with!

Bluetooth keyboard, the AnkerŪ Bluetooth Ultra-Slim Keyboard for Galaxy Tabs seems to be a really decent seller, low in price and high in reviews, so this may also be something to check out.

Not really too familiar with stylus, so perhaps some others could chime in =)

I ended up going with the Poetic Slimbook and the Logitech keyboard. Hopefully they'll hit the mark.

I appreciate all the help! Mitzvahs all around.
5th September 2014, 06:05 PM   |  #8  
linkhunter's Avatar
Member
Flag copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 4
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
i got this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 from UK i got cover. Screen Protector and a Pen for it. i like it but Screen Protector got damage by shipping so i email them and they send me 3x new one to me lucky me hehe
6th September 2014, 09:39 AM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
I have rapoo e6100 keyboard which works just great. Pairing is easy and there is no problem with reconnecting. Despite the fact it's mini keyboard, keys are large enough so typing is comfortable. I didin't want samsung case keyboard or logitech type-s keyboard, because i love samsung book cover and i use keyboard only when prepairing longer pieces of text. As for me set of samsung book cover and rapoo e6100 keyboard works great. I dont't want to change tab s into a bulky laptop...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes