Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 41,947 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The tab s is a beast!

Tip us?

kingofthebraves
Old
(Last edited by kingofthebraves; 6th July 2014 at 02:18 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default The tab s is a beast!

My old tablet was a note 10.1 2014 which was heavy, somewhat slow and had a washed out screen when viewed on the sides. The tab s on the other hand is extremely light weight, fluid and virtually lag free (if you use Nova launcher)!! I can't believe Samsung did such a poor job of updating their previous flagship. These two tablets have virtually the same specs but the experience on the note was just painful because you always knew it could do more. Even opening the keyboard and typing on it was kinda slow.

I have no idea what Samsung is doing releasing these many tables to flood the market and I guess they're borrowing a page or two from apples playback regarding planned obsolescence for their hardware.

This is the best tablet experience I have ever had on Android and I have used both the nexus 7s, note 10.1 2014 and the nexus 10. Speed is on per with the note 3 which is a beast of an android.
Hero / Nexus One/ Desire / Galaxy S / Desire Z / Nexus S / Galaxy S2 / Galaxy Nexus / Galaxy Note / One X / Galaxy Note2 / BB Z10 / Galaxy s4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingofthebraves For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

avenging
Old
Thanks Meter 45
yeah ive seen the 2014 edition as well as the tab pro tablets ive always noticed the screens are kinda washed out or im just used to super amoled on my notes lol

toyanucci
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthebraves View Post
My old tablet was a note 10.1 2014 which was heavy, somewhat slow and had a washed out screen when viewed on the sides. The tab s on the other hand is extremely light weight, fluid and virtually lag free (if you use Nova launcher)!! I can't believe Samsung did such a poor job of updating their previous flagship. These two tablets have virtually the same specs but the experience on the note was just painful because you always knew it could do more. Even opening the keyboard and typing on it was kinda slow.

I have no idea what Samsung is doing releasing these many tables to flood the market and I guess they're borrowing a page or two from apples playback regarding planned obsolescence for their hardware.

This is the best tablet experience I have ever had on Android and I have used both the nexus 7s, note 10.1 2014 and the nexus 10. Speed is on per with the note 3 which is a beast of an android.
I agree completely. I will also add that there was a hardware bluetooth issue, because the same bluetooth keyboard that would constantly disconnect on the Note 2014 now works without issue on the Tab S. I had made modifications to my Note and it ran great and battery life was good, but the Tab S is just better, in every way. The ONLY thing I miss is the S Pen and I wish they would just release all their products with an S Pen, because with their track record, I'm preparing myself to be pissed when in a couple months they announce the Note S (I assume around the time they release the Note 4) [emoji35]

12MaNy
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyanucci View Post
I agree completely. I will also add that there was a hardware bluetooth issue, because the same bluetooth keyboard that would constantly disconnect on the Note 2014 now works without issue on the Tab S. I had made modifications to my Note and it ran great and battery life was good, but the Tab S is just better, in every way. The ONLY thing I miss is the S Pen and I wish they would just release all their products with an S Pen, because with their track record, I'm preparing myself to be pissed when in a couple months they announce the Note S (I assume around the time they release the Note 4) [emoji35]
You know you can just buy an s-pen....right?

Some older work and ports...

Green Machine - HERE

Dark Fire X - HERE

Dark Fire Blue X - HERE

Android soldier and supporter of a world that's rid of Apple!

toyanucci
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12MaNy View Post
You know you can just buy an s-pen....right?
It doesn't work like that. The S Pen works with the wacom digitizer which is built into the screen of Note devices. The Tab S doesn't have th3 wacom digitizer so no, the S Pen won't work with it (the one from my Note 3 doesn't work with it for example).

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4145
The N10.1-14, Pro's, and Tab S' are the same devices repackaged. They're all using the same SoC's, core UI (TW 4.4 with or w/o M-UX), and h/w components. Exceptions being form factor, LCD vs. AMOLED, USB 3.0 on 12" tablets, finger print reader on the S'. Therefore saying "OMG! What a difference!", either positive or negative, doesn't really jive with reality. I've always been kind of LCD vs. AMOLED agnostic. AMOLED colors tend to be more blown out (which I actually like), blacks and contrast speak for themselves, but white's are always blueish. LCD displays tend to be brighter, colors are less vivid and separated, blacks and contrast weaker, with truer whites. Counting Apple's devices LCD still outsells AMOLED 4:1.

AMOLED sucks battery on whites and kicks butt on darker colors. Most productivity apps have white backgrounds which is definitely going to be a problem for productivity users. As will browsing and using the Tab S as a reader.

As for Samsung's LCD QHD tablet displays, they are the best LCD displays currently available and by no means deficient. To each their own...

toyanucci
Old
(Last edited by toyanucci; 6th July 2014 at 07:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
The N10.1-14, Pro's, and Tab S' are the same devices repackaged. They're all using the same SoC's, core UI (TW 4.4 with or w/o M-UX), and h/w components. Exceptions being form factor, LCD vs. AMOLED, USB 3.0 on 12" tablets, finger print reader on the S'. Therefore saying "OMG! What a difference!", either positive or negative, doesn't really jive with reality. I've always been kind of LCD vs. AMOLED agnostic. AMOLED colors tend to be more blown out (which I actually like), blacks and contrast speak for themselves, but white's are always blueish. LCD displays tend to be brighter, colors are less vivid and separated, blacks and contrast weaker, with truer whites. Counting Apple's devices LCD still outsells AMOLED 4:1.

AMOLED sucks battery on whites and kicks butt on darker colors. Most productivity apps have white backgrounds which is definitely going to be a problem for productivity users. As will browsing and using the Tab S as a reader.

As for Samsung's LCD QHD tablet displays, they are the best LCD displays currently available and by no means deficient. To each their own...

I've had both, and the difference in battery life is more than a couple hours doing the same tasks. I didn't comment on the snappiness because your right, it's all the same internals however the software is tweaked differently which makes a difference as well.

My tablets are for web browsing and media consumption and for that I usually get by without any lags or jerkiness WITH power saving on. I posted in the battery life thread and you'll notice my even shots have power saving on as I don't really game anymore much less on my tablet. Either way, I've seen real world improvements but I understand your core point.

I also disagree that amoled whites are blueish, my note 3 and tab s have the truest whites of all my devices including my macbook pro to the point where I use them at about 20% brightness indoors, often times even less because over that the whites hurt my eyes. And this also has me thinking if the battery life test you posted was with brightness at 100% as with my tab s I get about 1 hour and 15 minutes per 10% battery while browsing so I'm not sure what they did to get those results.

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4145
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyanucci View Post
I've had both, and the difference in battery life is more than a couple hours doing the same tasks. I didn't comment on the snappiness because your right, it's all the same internals however the software is tweaked differently which makes a difference as well.

My tablets are for web browsing and media consumption and for that I usually get by without any lags or jerkiness WITH power saving on. I posted in the battery life thread and you'll notice my even shots have power saving on as I don't really game anymore much less on my tablet. Either way, I've seen real world improvements but I understand your core point.

I also disagree that amoled whites are blueish, my note 3 and tab s have the truest whites of all my devices including my macbook pro to the point where I use them at about 20% brightness indoors, often times even less because over that the whites hurt my eyes. And this also has me thinking if the battery life test you posted was with brightness at 100% as with my tab s I get about 1 hour and 15 minutes per 10% battery while browsing so I'm not sure what they did to get those results.
I didn't post to make anyone with a Tab S like it less. I really like the design, accessories, and larger display on the 10.5. But people can get "deals" on the Pro's and N10.1-14 that makes them worth considering (for some). I'm a 10" fan so have no interest in the 8.4 but a Pro 8.4 can be had at Best Buy for $229 which makes it pretty compelling; especially since it's S-800. Point being there's lots to like about the S' but their release didn't instantly make the Note/Pro's cow dung.

The white point average (closest to 6,500K is better) for the devices we're talking about is:
  • Note 3 - 7,126
  • Note 10.1 - 2014 - 6,821
  • Tab S 10.5 - 6,516
  • Tab S 8.4 - 6,295
  • IPad Air - 7,377
So the N10.1-14 does better on whites than all but the 10.5 Tab S and with a much smaller margin the S 8.4.

If you're interested, here are the links showing the detailed results for the Tab S and N10.1-14. There's no question the S' results are better (with the exception of brightness) but, for an LCD display, Samsung did a good job with their QHD panels. But let's face it, people judge displays based on what looks best to them and that's more important than statistics.

N10.1-14 - http://www.anandtech.com/show/7378/s...ition-review/3
Tab S' - http://www.anandtech.com/show/8197/s...w-105-84inch/2

kingofthebraves
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:

Same device indeed but the performance on responsive was on the software is staggering. My note was running a custom room with everything tweaked and it still cannot open a keyboard without a split second lag or two. Everything was always one step behind and never instantaneous. The tab s is the only Android device that made me feel it was on par with the iPad in fluidity and that's high praise.
Hero / Nexus One/ Desire / Galaxy S / Desire Z / Nexus S / Galaxy S2 / Galaxy Nexus / Galaxy Note / One X / Galaxy Note2 / BB Z10 / Galaxy s4

toyanucci
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
I didn't post to make anyone with a Tab S like it less. I really like the design, accessories, and larger display on the 10.5. But people can get "deals" on the Pro's and N10.1-14 that makes them worth considering (for some). I'm a 10" fan so have no interest in the 8.4 but a Pro 8.4 can be had at Best Buy for $229 which makes it pretty compelling; especially since it's S-800. Point being there's lots to like about the S' but their release didn't instantly make the Note/Pro's cow dung.

The white point average (closest to 6,500K is better) for the devices we're talking about is:
  • Note 3 - 7,126
  • Note 10.1 - 2014 - 6,821
  • Tab S 10.5 - 6,516
  • Tab S 8.4 - 6,295
  • IPad Air - 7,377
So the N10.1-14 does better on whites than all but the 10.5 Tab S and with a much smaller margin the S 8.4.

If you're interested, here are the links showing the detailed results for the Tab S and N10.1-14. There's no question the S' results are better (with the exception of brightness) but, for an LCD display, Samsung did a good job with their QHD panels. But let's face it, people judge displays based on what looks best to them and that's more important than statistics.

N10.1-14 - http://www.anandtech.com/show/7378/s...ition-review/3
Tab S' - http://www.anandtech.com/show/8197/s...w-105-84inch/2
Hey, theres 1 thing I don't like about the Tab S display. In movies human skin has an orange tint which I can't get used to, I'm awaiting a custom kernel that allows synapse color editing as it's the only one that allows for negative values, all other screen editing apps only allow you to add, not minus.