Quick tip if you feel Chrome is running choppy or laggy

Search This thread

tiguanito

Jul 1, 2014
Santa Clara
I'm using the beta and is awesomely smooth

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Tested the 10.5" at Bestbuy during the week-end and found Chrome was quite laggy. I installed the Beta (that i usually use on my phone), it was not really better. Scrolling on web sites like dpreview.com wasn't smooth at all.
I have to test again I guess. That prevented me from buying the tablet. For me web browsing experience has to be great a on new tablet.

toyanucci

May 28, 2010
OnePlus 9
Tested the 10.5" at Bestbuy during the week-end and found Chrome was quite laggy. I installed the Beta (that i usually use on my phone), it was not really better. Scrolling on web sites like dpreview.com wasn't smooth at all.
I have to test again I guess. That prevented me from buying the tablet. For me web browsing experience has to be great a on new tablet.
You have to remember to close all the open apps on those display units at best buy, sometimes almost every app is open lol. The demo unit I tried everything lagged till I closed all those running apps.

That said, my unit at home is smooth on all fronts.

Sythrix

Jun 23, 2012
One of my few frustrations with the tablet has been a laggy feel while browsing in Chrome. So after a bit of research, try this tweak and see if it feels faster for you:

1. In a new tab, surf to chrome://flags/#max-tiles-for-interest-area

2. Change value from "default" to "512"

3. Click button on bottom that says "relaunch now"

Enjoy!

This trick helped immensely. Thank you for posting it. Now I just need to wait for root for the 8.4 and I'll be able to get rid of some crap to speed it up even more.

Reactions: budeone

Sythrix

Jun 23, 2012
Which one do I change there are loads of options

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Free mobile app

The particular item: "#max-tiles-for-interest-area" will be highlighted at the very top of the page in yellow as soon as you enter the address. It's the only thing that will be highlighted. It will say: "Maximum tiles for interest area Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android". Change the option below it.

shadow78

Oct 16, 2008
john o groats
Thanks it did improve the browsing speed on chrome. I was a bit worried because of the lags. The browsing was faster on my sony tab z then on tab s.. not any more ;).

tiguanito

Jul 1, 2014
Santa Clara
I have tried Chrome browser (with max-tiles-for-interest-area = 512) on several 10.5" and always find it quite laggy.
I have closed all apps, etc.
The scrolling on web sites with lot of pictures like dpreview , theverge.com, etc. is definitely not smooth. An iPad air for example is lot more fluid.
I like the 10.5" but not sure to buy it until I see a good web browsing demo on it.

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
I have tried Chrome browser (with max-tiles-for-interest-area = 512) on several 10.5" and always find it quite laggy.
I have closed all apps, etc.
The scrolling on web sites with lot of pictures like dpreview , theverge.com, etc. is definitely not smooth. An iPad air for example is lot more fluid.
I like the 10.5" but not sure to buy it until I see a good web browsing demo on it.

The verge website runs smoothly on samsung stock browser on my 8.4

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008

My iPad lags bad and even freezes sometimes viewing live blogs. Was about to throw it in the trash but will take advantage of Best Buy $100 trade in offer.

http://youtu.be/rGTQAYHfc8U

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One of my few frustrations with the tablet has been a laggy feel while browsing in Chrome. So after a bit of research, try this tweak and see if it feels faster for you:

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

This trick helped immensely. Thank you for posting it. Now I just need to wait for root for the 8.4 and I'll be able to get rid of some crap to speed it up even more.