Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,959 Members 44,668 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Toy vs. Tool?

Tip us?

mitchellvii
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1057
Default Toy vs. Tool?

I so did not "need" a $500 tablet. I have a desktop computer, an ultra book with pen capability and a Note 3. My access to all the Internet has to offer was not limited. And yet I walked into BestBuy of my own free will and handed them a pile of hard earned cash for this tablet. Why?

1) Tech lust. It was shiny and new and oh that screen. Face it, that screen isn't fighting fair.
2) I like viewing the Web in portrait. Why? I guess because I always had this fantasy of a future where I could sit and read an electronic newspaper. In portrait the Web feels like that. None of my other tech allowed me to do that like this 10.5 does.
3) Unboxing. Silly but I love the experience of Unboxing a new tech toy. I can see why people actually post videos of this on YouTube even though everyone knows how the story ends.
4) For me, this tablet is pure toy. I suppose I could do work on it but I doubt I will. I wanted a consumption device. I wanted eye candy. I wanted Netflix and YouTube in HD+.
5) I can sit back on my sofa with my cup of coffee and read on it like a book. Again the portrait thing.
6) I wanted clean clear deep black fonts with no fuzzies. I HATE fuzzy fonts. I guess because it blows my fantasies of the electronic newspaper.

5 years ago I almost died of cancer. As I lay in my hospital bed after hearing the bad news one of the things I thought of was how disappointed I was that I would not live to see the technology I had always imagined. Dumb right? Here I lay dying and I'm worried about never owning a Tab S. Lol, I'm ridiculous.

My next tech fantasy? Perfect robot girlfriend of course, but I think that one will take a while

So, is your new Tab S (boring name for the fulfillment of a long term dream) a toy or a tool or both?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mitchellvii For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

carlitos66
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I hear you, exactly same here. I just bought brand new 17" gaming laptop for over 2k, I have Note 3, I have iPad air, 2 weeks ago i bought Note Pro 12.2 just because it was on sale at Costco, but I had to have the new 8.4 S Watching ESPN games on this amoled screen is unbelievable... definitely a toy for me.

Mr Dasher
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos66 View Post
I hear you, exactly same here. I just bought brand new 17" gaming laptop for over 2k, I have Note 3, I have iPad air, 2 weeks ago i bought Note Pro 12.2 just because it was on sale at Costco, but I had to have the new 8.4 S Watching ESPN games on this amoled screen is unbelievable... definitely a toy for me.

Wow - you guys definitely got it it bad...lol

robertc88
Old
(Last edited by robertc88; 2nd July 2014 at 04:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20
I browse the web and read in portrait mode always, even the 8.4" suffices nicely. Videos always in landscape and I'm liking this tablet for that as well.

Unboxing doesn't do anything for me to tell the truth, but a nice new shiny device with these specs and performance does and with the BB discounted deal it was a no brainer for me personally.

A definite toy for me personally as well by the way.

Zennmaster
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellvii View Post
I so did not "need" a $500 tablet.
So, is your new Tab S (boring name for the fulfillment of a long term dream) a toy or a tool or both?
Great question for a thread!

My answer: YES! (Because I'm THAT guy! )

I live out of a suitcase for days at a time, and having all my books and magazines, as well as a whole bunch of TV, movies and games all in one little slab really keeps me sane and grounded.

I carry a GS5, which is great for getting updates on things, but when I want to get serious about really enjoying what I'm reading or watching, there's no substitute for a nice tablet!

Oh, and I'm REALLY glad you beat the Big 'C'!!!
Geekery on parade: http://www.zennmaster.com

Sudbury78
Old
Thanks Meter 31
OP.. First of all glad to hear your alive and hopefully we'll after the scare 5 years ago. As I was reading your list before the cancer part I was going to say I wish I had the finances to buy this tablet as a toy. But reading that part I am glad you are enjoying this tablet on the couch with a cup of coffee.

I'm as tech crazy as you all. I am known at my local bestbuy as the rental guy. In the last 4 months I have 'rented' note 10.1 , tab pro 8.4, tab pro 10.1, note pro 12.2 iPad Air. I have not kept any of them. Have to love elite and their 45 day return policy.

I have not purchased the new tab s because I'm holding out for a new nexus refresh. The news today if the leaked 8.9 specs are epic while I think false considering the 5gb of ram. I'm typing on my iPad 3 which I still works and have a note 3.

I am now going to find a 2nd job to keep up with you all. .

mitchellvii
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1057
Here's how bad it is. I actually find myself disappointed once I've caught up on all my emails, Web pages and blogs. I start looking for new apps to install or delete or maybe just start a silly thread like this one just to have SOMETHING to do on my shiny new toy.

Oh well, hey its fun. No more no less. I have to be responsible all day. I can fart around and waste a little time with my tablet if I want to.

SysAdmNj
Old
Thanks Meter 182
I was just tired of carrying my heavy laptop to bed when I really wanted to relax and watch all my media content...with this thing its a no brainer and I do like that you can read in portrait mode. I'll be doing alot of that tonight

jrk190
Old
Thanks Meter 69
I'm sitting here with a dying RAZR M, dead GNex, old Nexus 7, and a Chromebook running elementary OS... I wish I could splurge!

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Free mobile app
I've owned a lot of phones. Too many, probably.
So I'm just holding out for a new phone, hanging in there with my Galaxy Nexus (Toro) and Nexus 7 (Grouper).
Feel free to buy a poor college student a new phone... Like, any phone...
Please?

avenging
Old
Thanks Meter 40
to the op wishing you good health always.

now im eagerly waiting for demo units of the tab s to arrive here, i just bought the gear fit and i think my wallet will cry a river if i buy a tablet for the first time then the note 4 in a few months