FORUMS

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

[Q] Couple of questions about storage on this device prior to purchase

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 11
 
By Crispy3000, Member on 2nd September 2014, 03:52 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi all,


I've been waiting for a 10inch OLED device for a long long time now so very happy when T800 came out.

I live in UK however and they only offer 16GB internal storage. I've been patient waiting for 32GB version but that's wearing thin now.
Some reviews state you can use external microsd card for apps I thought I ask those that have already bought one.

I don't plan on initially rooting it until I've broken it in for few months.

So my question does this tablet allow you to use external sd for apps and apps data without hassle? I've not really used kitkat but Jelly bean made sdcard use such a pain. I know I can use link2SD etc if I root (do they still work on this tab without issue?)

If I install galaxy on fire and a bards tale my internal storage is already full so this issue is really important.

Thanks

Chris
 
 
2nd September 2014, 04:24 PM |#2  
boeser's Avatar
Member
Flag Mijnsheerenland
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Look at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...issue-t2863936
2nd September 2014, 05:43 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeser

Look at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...issue-t2863936

I saw that already thx.

I more asking if stock build allows moving apps to sdcard without any jiggereypokery
2nd September 2014, 05:45 PM |#4  
LoVeRice's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 109
 
More
it only moves kb's
2nd September 2014, 06:08 PM |#5  
boeser's Avatar
Member
Flag Mijnsheerenland
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy3000

I saw that already thx.

I more asking if stock build allows moving apps to sdcard without any jiggereypokery

Don't think so, although I didn't try when I wasn't rooted.
3rd September 2014, 12:13 PM |#6  
kenkiller's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 492
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy3000

I saw that already thx.

I more asking if stock build allows moving apps to sdcard without any jiggereypokery

Nope, you will need root.
3rd September 2014, 01:52 PM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkiller

Nope, you will need root.

Thanks. I will try to be patient I think and hold out for the 32GB ver sounds like a lot less hassle.

Is there any model number difference between 16GB/32GB models? So many webshops are not even listing what the internal storage is on a model they are selling.
3rd September 2014, 02:07 PM |#8  
flhthemi's Avatar
Senior Member
Statesville, NC
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy3000

Thanks. I will try to be patient I think and hold out for the 32GB ver sounds like a lot less hassle.

Is there any model number difference between 16GB/32GB models? So many webshops are not even listing what the internal storage is on a model they are selling.


Ok, went to Samsung's site and looked up the 16GB Titanium "S". They list the model as "SM-T800NTSAXAR". I Have The 32gb Titanium. The model number on the box is "SM-T800NTSEXAR". So SEX is good. E may be what designates 32GB in the model number. But, as I understand things, Best Buy has an exclusive deal right now as being the only place that sells the 32GB version???
Last edited by flhthemi; 3rd September 2014 at 02:10 PM.
3rd September 2014, 02:19 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 394
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy3000

Hi all,


I've been waiting for a 10inch OLED device for a long long time now so very happy when T800 came out.

I live in UK however and they only offer 16GB internal storage. I've been patient waiting for 32GB version but that's wearing thin now.
Some reviews state you can use external microsd card for apps I thought I ask those that have already bought one.

I don't plan on initially rooting it until I've broken it in for few months.

So my question does this tablet allow you to use external sd for apps and apps data without hassle? I've not really used kitkat but Jelly bean made sdcard use such a pain. I know I can use link2SD etc if I root (do they still work on this tab without issue?)

If I install galaxy on fire and a bards tale my internal storage is already full so this issue is really important.

Thanks
E restricted to th
Chris

Chris, the Samsung included My Folders app can read/write to a micro SD card without rooting. There is also a built in function that allows you to move apps to external storage (micro SD card). Plus when you take pictures and you have micro SD card inserted the Tab S will automatically save the pictures to the external storage except for rapid picture mode which needs the fastest storage possible. I've not tried moving an app to external storage but have seen the picture saving work. The only "stock" limitation with external storage is that read/write privileges are restricted to the My Folders app. Alternate file managers (e.g ES File Manager) can read/copy but not write.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
3rd September 2014, 05:11 PM |#10  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Other than media Its mostly for large game data files. I would not have more than 1 or 2 of these at same time but the available 10GB of internal would not cut it.

Samsung own webshop is awful http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SM-T805NZWABTU


I almost bought one straight away but notice no where on the spec does it mention the size of the internal memory. Almost criminal.

Thanks for the model number just wish the stores listed half of them samsung themselves certainly don't
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps externalsd
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes