Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Couple of questions about storage on this device prior to purchase

OP Crispy3000

2nd September 2014, 04:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11

52 posts
Hi all,

I've been waiting for a 10inch OLED device for a long long time now so very happy when T800 came out.

I live in UK however and they only offer 16GB internal storage. I've been patient waiting for 32GB version but that's wearing thin now.
Some reviews state you can use external microsd card for apps I thought I ask those that have already bought one.

I don't plan on initially rooting it until I've broken it in for few months.

So my question does this tablet allow you to use external sd for apps and apps data without hassle? I've not really used kitkat but Jelly bean made sdcard use such a pain. I know I can use link2SD etc if I root (do they still work on this tab without issue?)

If I install galaxy on fire and a bards tale my internal storage is already full so this issue is really important.

Thanks

Chris
2nd September 2014, 05:24 PM   |  #2  
Flag Mijnsheerenland
Thanks Meter: 20

89 posts
More
Look at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...issue-t2863936
2nd September 2014, 06:43 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeser

Look at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...issue-t2863936

I saw that already thx.

I more asking if stock build allows moving apps to sdcard without any jiggereypokery
2nd September 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #4  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 105

661 posts
More
it only moves kb's
2nd September 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #5  
Flag Mijnsheerenland
Thanks Meter: 20

89 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy3000

I saw that already thx.

I more asking if stock build allows moving apps to sdcard without any jiggereypokery

Don't think so, although I didn't try when I wasn't rooted.
3rd September 2014, 01:13 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 458

3,020 posts
Quote:

I saw that already thx.

Nope, you will need root.
3rd September 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkiller

Nope, you will need root.

Thanks. I will try to be patient I think and hold out for the 32GB ver sounds like a lot less hassle.

Is there any model number difference between 16GB/32GB models? So many webshops are not even listing what the internal storage is on a model they are selling.
3rd September 2014, 03:07 PM   |  #8  
Statesville, NC
Thanks Meter: 26

189 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks. I will try to be patient I think and hold out for the 32GB ver sounds like a lot less hassle.

Is there any model number difference between 16GB/32GB models? So many webshops are not even listing what the internal storage is on a model they are selling.

Ok, went to Samsung's site and looked up the 16GB Titanium "S". They list the model as "SM-T800NTSAXAR". I Have The 32gb Titanium. The model number on the box is "SM-T800NTSEXAR". So SEX is good. E may be what designates 32GB in the model number. But, as I understand things, Best Buy has an exclusive deal right now as being the only place that sells the 32GB version???
Last edited by flhthemi; 3rd September 2014 at 03:10 PM.
3rd September 2014, 03:19 PM   |  #9  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 341

753 posts
More
Quote:

Hi all,

I've been waiting for a 10inch OLED device for a long long time now so very happy when T800 came out.

I live in UK however and they only offer 16GB internal storage. I've been patient waiting for 32GB version but that's wearing thin now.
Some reviews state you can use external microsd card for apps I thought I ask those that have already bought one.

I don't plan on initially rooting it until I've broken it in for few months.

So my question does this tablet allow you to use external sd for apps and apps data without hassle? I've not really used kitkat but Jelly bean made sdcard use such a pain. I know I can use link2SD etc if I root (do they still work on this tab without issue?)

If I install galaxy on fire and a bards tale my internal storage is already full so this issue is really important.

Thanks
E restricted to th
Chris

Chris, the Samsung included My Folders app can read/write to a micro SD card without rooting. There is also a built in function that allows you to move apps to external storage (micro SD card). Plus when you take pictures and you have micro SD card inserted the Tab S will automatically save the pictures to the external storage except for rapid picture mode which needs the fastest storage possible. I've not tried moving an app to external storage but have seen the picture saving work. The only "stock" limitation with external storage is that read/write privileges are restricted to the My Folders app. Alternate file managers (e.g ES File Manager) can read/copy but not write.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
3rd September 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

52 posts
Other than media Its mostly for large game data files. I would not have more than 1 or 2 of these at same time but the available 10GB of internal would not cut it.

Samsung own webshop is awful http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SM-T805NZWABTU

I almost bought one straight away but notice no where on the spec does it mention the size of the internal memory. Almost criminal.

Thanks for the model number just wish the stores listed half of them samsung themselves certainly don't

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps externalsd
Previous Thread Next Thread