Tablet [Q] Root now or wait? Tab S

OP DUHAsianSKILLZ

11th August 2014, 09:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 10

84 posts
More
I really new to android and switch from apple to android But I saw the risks of flashing to get root vs with apple Ive never seen a hard brick happened. I was wondering if I should wait till theres an app/application to root my samsung galaxy tab S 10.5 or flash a rooted rom to get root? I also heard that Android L is gonna be out soon so.. should i wait till Android L is out to root also? Im scared to flash because I dont want to turn my tab s a brick D: Like some how i seem to mess the easy stuff up.

Thanks!

p.s Im not sure if im posting this in the right place or... yeah. Pretty new to android.
11th August 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHAsianSKILLZ

I really new to android and switch from apple to android But I saw the risks of flashing to get root vs with apple Ive never seen a hard brick happened. I was wondering if I should wait till theres an app/application to root my samsung galaxy tab S 10.5 or flash a rooted rom to get root? I also heard that Android L is gonna be out soon so.. should i wait till Android L is out to root also? Im scared to flash because I dont want to turn my tab s a brick D: Like some how i seem to mess the easy stuff up.

Thanks!

p.s Im not sure if im posting this in the right place or... yeah. Pretty new to android.

I would wait if you are new to the scene. It seems that depending on your current OS version, 4.3 (open) vs 4.4.x (locked), we have a looked bootloader. So flashing sth might leave you with a bootloader that denies loading the images because of failed hashes.

As to really bricking it, I don't think it is that easy as long as you know your way with software and IT. But DON'T flash sth or toggle some switch you don't know about. simple. I tried flashing TWRP to the recovery partition and rooting from there with SU as suggested in a thread here, BUT it wouldn't accept TWRP because of a lock...still tripped the KNOX though
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeRifle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th August 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 10

84 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRifle

I would wait if you are new to the scene. It seems that depending on your current OS version, 4.3 (open) vs 4.4.x (locked), we have a looked bootloader. So flashing sth might leave you with a bootloader that denies loading the images because of failed hashes.

As to really bricking it, I don't think it is that easy as long as you know your way with software and IT. But DON'T flash sth or toggle some switch you don't know about. simple. I tried flashing TWRP to the recovery partition and rooting from there with SU as suggested in a thread here, BUT it wouldn't accept TWRP because of a lock...still tripped the KNOX though

Oh Didnt know all that stuff until now All this is very different from jailbreaking which I know alot of. Thanks for the help! I only plan on getting root and not any of the custom roms yet since im trying to not get knox tripped and the fact that i cant return my tab s for any reason because of walmarts 15-day return. I guess ill stay unrooted for now thanks again
11th August 2014, 11:23 PM   |  #4  

12 posts
It sucks that they try so hard to cage us in:P but just wait a bit, people will find out how to root even the new OS 4.4.x. Although I am not sure whether it will ever be possible to do it without KNOX tripping. Maybe you can somehow restore a tripped KNOX to 0 though...but that is over my head If you are @4.3 Android though, you might just try going ahead and flashing TWRP with Odin, and then install appropriate SuperUser .zip. Your call
Last edited by JoeRifle; 11th August 2014 at 11:40 PM.
12th August 2014, 01:55 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 446

2,983 posts
Quote:

Are you sure you know what you're talking about? All our Tablet S came with Android 4.4.2, and they are rooted just fine.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHAsianSKILLZ

Oh Didnt know all that stuff until now All this is very different from jailbreaking which I know alot of. Thanks for the help! I only plan on getting root and not any of the custom roms yet since im trying to not get knox tripped and the fact that i cant return my tab s for any reason because of walmarts 15-day return. I guess ill stay unrooted for now thanks again

You're being given wrong info. Rooting is easy, as is installing a custom recovery. But yes, if you don't wish to trip knox then there is currently no way to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenkiller For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #6  

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkiller

Are you sure you know what you're talking about? All our Tablet S came with Android 4.4.2, and they are rooted just fine.[COLOR="Silver"]

Well, I thought I was sure, wouldn't have said it else. My Tab S did not come with 4.4.2, as it installed some OTA when first connected.

Quote:

You're being given wrong info. Rooting is easy, as is installing a custom recovery. But yes, if you don't wish to trip knox then there is currently no way to do so.

Please share your info on how to root it or install custom recovery. If I was babbling away, being mostly PC/new tab user, please correct my mistakes. No harm intended.

EDIT: Thinking about it. Do you by chance mean flashing the CF Auto t800 image from the development thread? That is not a t805 image so it did not really appeal to me, and it said in the same thread that it is not needed...since you can odin TWRP...which did not work for me. Mean that?
Last edited by JoeRifle; 12th August 2014 at 03:16 AM.
12th August 2014, 03:25 AM   |  #7  

2,983 posts
Quote:

Well, I thought I was sure, wouldn't have said it else. My Tab S did not come with 4.4.2, as it installed some OTA when first connected.

Please share your info on how to root it or install custom recovery. If I was babbling away, being mostly PC/new tab user, please correct my mistakes. No harm intended.

EDIT: Thinking about it. Do you by chance mean flashing the CF Auto t800 image from the development thread? That is not a t805 image so it did not really appeal to me, and it said in the same thread that it is not needed...since you can odin TWRP...which did not work for me. Mean that?

Read through the thread again.....many reports from users who got T805 rooted using the T800 cf-auto files without any problems.
12th August 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #8  

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkiller

Read through the thread again.....many reports from users who got T805 rooted using the T800 cf-auto files without any problems.

you are right. I did not find the image "elegible" as it was not based of a t805, and I tried the "other", "slicker" method which did not work. The only reason I could see as to why it did no accept the flash, INet research confirmed suspicion too btw, was that 4.4.x has a hash check at boot up. This would make it extremely hard to root/install TWRP by flashing w/out overcoming this check first.

My comments were based on these assumptions. So sry for the confusion @DUHAsianSKILLZ
12th August 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #9  

2,983 posts
Quote:

you are right. I did not find the image "elegible" as it was not based of a t805, and I tried the "other", "slicker" method which did not work. The only reason I could see as to why it did no accept the flash, INet research confirmed suspicion too btw, was that 4.4.x has a hash check at boot up. This would make it extremely hard to root/install TWRP by flashing w/out overcoming this check first.

My comments were based on these assumptions. So sry for the confusion @DUHAsianSKILLZ

If 4.4.2 has this so called hash check at boot up, why would it not matter in using cf-root for T800 then using Flashify to install TWRP? Think about it.
12th August 2014, 04:28 AM   |  #10  

12 posts
@DUHAsianSKILLZ

flashing the CF Auto for the t800 from the dev thread did the trick for me too. Rooted and can't seem to find problems. Knox tripped oc. Check this thread for more info if you like http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...7#post54769521

@kenkiller

I don't know. It should detect changes to system partition...at least.
Last edited by JoeRifle; 12th August 2014 at 06:25 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to JoeRifle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread