Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Charger issue.

OP reef88

29th August 2014, 04:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

36 posts
I bought a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 when I was in Europe but now that I'm back home I can't use the charger cause they're different than what we use here. Do I have to buy a new one or is there any chance I can use my Galaxy S4's charger? I understand the chargers have some sort of voltage information I don't know if my phone's charger will work since the batteries are not the same. Thanks for your time.

Here's a picture with both chargers. Left is the Galaxy Tab S's. Right is my phone's. They appear to have the same values, I still ask because I noticed its taking a long time for the tab to charge.

http://i.imgur.com/rqxBFHH.jpg
Last edited by reef88; 29th August 2014 at 04:12 AM.
29th August 2014, 07:04 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

45 posts
More
Maybe not the exact answer your waiting for but anyhow.
There is a lot of talk about cables and chargers not working properly. So I installed Galaxy Charging Current (Play store) and checked all my chargers and cables.
First off all my cables worked fine, but thats not what your asking.
Install the app on your tab and check with what value its charging.
Then you know for sure if you can use the charger on the right. (Or buy a europe tot US adapter for your 5.3 volt charger)
(I charge my phone wit the tab charger and have no problem)
29th August 2014, 01:38 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 47

133 posts
I bought this little usb amp/volt meter and checked all my chargers and cords. Maybe 10% of them were junk. Some actually put out 5.3 volts like the stock charger. They all put out different amps. Some below 1.
29th August 2014, 04:30 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 113

832 posts
Hans,

I downloaded that app. I dont know what I'm looking for. Here is a screenshot. Can you tell me what the readings mean and if I'm within the norms? Thank you!

Here is another reading a few minutes later as it warmed up..

and lastly, ten minutes later, as the charger is now fully hot..

Last edited by xRevilatioNx; 29th August 2014 at 04:38 PM.
29th August 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 19

215 posts
This app is useless. Its readings have nothing to do with real current from charger. I have PortaPow USB Power Monitor and it clearly shows that Tab S 10.5 takes 1.75A from oem charger and this app shows values between 1 and 1.2A.
29th August 2014, 10:42 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

45 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SotYPL

This app is useless. Its readings have nothing to do with real current from charger. I have PortaPow USB Power Monitor and it clearly shows that Tab S 10.5 takes 1.75A from oem charger and this app shows values between 1 and 1.2A.

I dont know if its useless but when T700 is connected to my pc it show 476 mA , connected to my original charger it shows 1800 mA and connected to my 1 amp phone charger it shows 745 mA.
The values that I expected.
From the makers site I learned only Maximum value is important.
30th August 2014, 05:11 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 113

832 posts
Where the USB plugs into the tablet to charge. Is it suppose to get really warm?
2nd September 2014, 03:41 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 19

215 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANSB57

I dont know if its useless but when T700 is connected to my pc it show 476 mA , connected to my original charger it shows 1800 mA and connected to my 1 amp phone charger it shows 745 mA.
The values that I expected.
From the makers site I learned only Maximum value is important.

It shows what your tablet should take from the charger not what it is actually taking. So if you connect it to 2A charger it will show 1.8A because that's maximum value Samsung designed Tab S to be charging at. I did lot o testing and this app will always show 1800mA maximum when tablet is actually taking much less current for example when connected with long cable (15ft). My testing shows that longest cable I can use is 10ft 28/24AWG from Monoprice and oem charger. 15ft cable is only charging at 1.2A and any cable longer than 3ft is unusable with Anker 40W IQ charger. OEM Samsung charger gives 5.45V not ~5V as any other USB charger.
Last edited by SotYPL; 2nd September 2014 at 03:44 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread