Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Hard bricked, but...

OP dancress

17th December 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

45 posts
Hi there, I hard bricked my Tab S 8.4. No reaction to anything I did (key combinations, let it charge for hours, stuff like that). Don't know how it happened but it just crashed to death shortly after installing an inofficial Lolloipop build from here. I don't think a ROM can make a device not turn on at all. My money is on hardware failure.

Anyway, brought it in for repairs (willing to pay since I knowingly voided the warranty). Got the call yesterday. They said the software had been tampered with and they can't repair it. I objected that the software won't break the hardware but no dice. They won't even do it for cold hard cash.

BUT: To see the 'illegal' software they HAD to get the thing to turn on . And if they got it to turn on somehow, so can I. Or... am I completely wrong there and they have some magic fairy dust?

Any ideas on how I could accomplish what the repair guys could obviously do? There is no important data or anything on it so I'd be happy with Odin mode, CWM or whatever.
17th December 2014, 02:49 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

12 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancress

Hi there, I hard bricked my Tab S 8.4. No reaction to anything I did (key combinations, let it charge for hours, stuff like that). Don't know how it happened but it just crashed to death shortly after installing an inofficial Lolloipop build from here. I don't think a ROM can make a device not turn on at all. My money is on hardware failure.

Anyway, brought it in for repairs (willing to pay since I knowingly voided the warranty). Got the call yesterday. They said the software had been tampered with and they can't repair it. I objected that the software won't break the hardware but no dice. They won't even do it for cold hard cash.

BUT: To see the 'illegal' software they HAD to get the thing to turn on . And if they got it to turn on somehow, so can I. Or... am I completely wrong there and they have some magic fairy dust?

Any ideas on how I could accomplish what the repair guys could obviously do? There is no important data or anything on it so I'd be happy with Odin mode, CWM or whatever.

I kindof had the same problem, but got mine repaired.
May I ask where you send it to for repairs? Was it Samsung or a local repair shop that told you they could not fix it?
And did they send it back to you? Kindof weird they won't fix your device after you say you are willing to pay for it.
Depending on where you live, Samsung covers a lot of 'problems' in the first year of the standaard warranty.

As for turning on the device..
What options have you tried yet?
If you connect the tablet with usb to your pc and turn it on, does it get recognized?
And if so, as what?
But if your screen doesn't turn on, you're probably going to need repairs anyway.
17th December 2014, 03:01 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter7

I kindof had the same problem, but got mine repaired.
May I ask where you send it to for repairs? Was it Samsung or a local repair shop that told you they could not fix it?
And did they send it back to you? Kindof weird they won't fix your device after you say you are willing to pay for it.
Depending on where you live, Samsung covers a lot of 'problems' in the first year of the standaard warranty.

As for turning on the device..
What options have you tried yet?
If you connect the tablet with usb to your pc and turn it on, does it get recognized?
And if so, as what?
But if your screen doesn't turn on, you're probably going to need repairs anyway.

Over here you bring it back to the shop where you bought it. They will try the simplest solutions in house but usually send it back to the manufacturer. I think the information came from Samsung directly. Another theory I have is a simple lie. They tried it in house, nothing came up, some clever guy screamed 'CYANOGEN!' and they all high fived (I have a vivid imagination )

As for turning it on: tried everything. It's not only the screen, it did nothing at all. No signs of life whatsoever. Of course the PC wouldn't recognize it since it was turned off.

I'll pick it up tonight. Maybe whatever they did to see the software tampering stuck and it will at least go into Odin mode. I can work from there.
17th December 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

12 posts
More
Quote:

Over here you bring it back to the shop where you bought it. They will try the simplest solutions in house but usually send it back to the manufacturer. I think the information came from Samsung directly. Another theory I have is a simple lie. They tried it in house, nothing came up, some clever guy screamed 'CYANOGEN!' and they all high fived (I have a vivid imagination )

I lolled
But it you think it came from Samsung directly, then I would advise you to contact Samsung.
Here is a link from an article where it states that Samsung covers bricked devices, but only the first time. (Dutch article, GTranslated english)
I have no idea if this also counts for where you live though.
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Quote:

As for turning it on: tried everything. It's not only the screen, it did nothing at all. No signs of life whatsoever. Of course the PC wouldn't recognize it since it was turned off.

I'll pick it up tonight. Maybe whatever they did to see the software tampering stuck and it will at least go into Odin mode. I can work from there.

Okay.. well.. that sucks.
Don't forget to ask for some of that magic dust they used
17th December 2014, 05:24 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter7

I lolled
But it you think it came from Samsung directly, then I would advise you to contact Samsung.
Here is a link from an article where it states that Samsung covers bricked devices, but only the first time. (Dutch article, GTranslated english)
I have no idea if this also counts for where you live though.
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Okay.. well.. that sucks.
Don't forget to ask for some of that magic dust they used

Magic dust it was. Got it back, dead. Came home a minute ago, put it on the charger. Lo and behold, the battery appears. Device turns on too, boots Lollipop goodness. 0 per cent battery but hey. Whatever they did, they obviously did NOT realize they solved the whole problem with just their diagnostic

Thread can be locked if the PTB deem it necessary.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread