Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,273 Members 44,562 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I'm losing it. Can't decide.

Tip us?

ibill1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] I'm losing it. Can't decide.

I've been a flight crew member for 35 yrs. so obviously I am a decisive kind of guy. This decision has stumped me. Do I acquire the 8.4 or 10.5.?Seems pretty simple, right, WRONG. I have ordered then cancelled both models numerous times. I commute to work. If not on a jump seat, I may end up in a middle seat if I can't get into business class. I use my note 3 now and it's perfect so I think the 8.4 would be the perfect size for confined spaces. However, I want that big screen but concerned I won't use it and reach for my note when in a confined space.

I went to best buy and played with both but to no avail. I assume maybe some on here have had both and may be able to offer their enlightenment. I have read about the 10.5 being sharper do to the difference in the pixals in the screens. I have to admit I did notice this when playing with them and did find the 10.5 screen just seemed brighter and clearer. This was before I even read that some saw a difference. I'm new here as I just found this site and would like to thank all those who take the time to offer their opinions on these tabs. It has been a great help to me and I am sure others as well. Bill

mitchellvii
Old
(Last edited by mitchellvii; 5th August 2014 at 10:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,203
Get the 10.5. In a confined space you will want to read in portrait and the 8.4 is too small for that. Also 10.5 seems to be having a better amoled screen experience than the 8.4. I owned the 8.4 Pro model and after a while I started to have a "big phone" experience. You want a tablet? Get a proper tablet, not a big phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to mitchellvii For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ibill1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellvii View Post
Get the 10.5. In a confined space you will want to read in portrait and the 8.4 is too small for that. Also 10.5 seems to be having a better amoled screen experience than the 8.4. I owned the 8.4 Pro model and after a while I started to have a "big phone" experience. You want a tablet? Get a proper tablet, not a big phone.
Great point Mitch, I actually never thought of that. I do read quite alot on my current tab and phone, finding the phone too small so rarely do so any longer. I read another post of yours where you mentioned the"big phone" experience and I can see that happening to me especially since the note 3 already as an over 5" screen.

mitchellvii
Old
Thanks Meter 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibill1 View Post
Great point Mitch, I actually never thought of that. I do read quite alot on my current tab and phone, finding the phone too small so rarely do so any longer. I read another post of yours where you mentioned the"big phone" experience and I can see that happening to me especially since the note 3 already as an over 5" screen.
If you are looking for the best possible media experience, get the 10.5. The 8.4 will feel redundant with your Note 3.

campbellc1052
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I just got the 8.4 and for me it is the perfect size. Reading even in portrait is not a problem at all, text seems plenty big. I really love that I can hold it in one hand easily, it's the perfect size to grip securely with your thumb on one side and your fingers on the other. Honestly it's all up to your personal preference, and budget. Personally I lean on the smaller screen size, my phone is the Galaxy S3 and the 4.8" screen on it is about as big as I want on a phone. A big screen is nice and all but you also have to think about convenience and how your going to be using it. I really expected the 8.4" screen to be smaller than it is, I was looking at the nexus 7 and even the Note 8.0 and thought those screens are a little small for a tablet(the big phone effect), but when I got the Tab S 8.4 and started using it I was like this screen is nice, seems really big especially since I'm used to the S3.
The Following User Says Thank You to campbellc1052 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kenkiller
Old
Thanks Meter 444
Loving the 8.4 since its more suitable for outdoor usage. Bigger sized is for home use.