Open War for Open Android: Antitrust for Cyanogen?

Android and openness is something we talk about all the time, but the recent … more

What Do You Do with All of Your Old Photos?

Smartphone cameras have advanced so tremendously over the past few years that they have … more

Diving into the April 2015 Material Design Update

Before the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the Holo Design guidelines served as the … more

New Cyanogen Partnerships Bring Privacy Concerns

New Privacy concerns have emerged regarding Cyanogen’s latest announcements, … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] MHL to HDMI adapter

18th December 2014, 07:24 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch33

i dont think you will find something to fully charge and video out. you will find charge at 1amp but that will just prolong your use but eventually run the battery out and you need to find video out with 2amp charge combined with Tab ability to recognize it which i do not believe you will find.

Does the genuine Samsung adapter charge at all?

22nd December 2014, 05:15 AM |#22  
Flag little rock arkansas
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
More
Thumbs up mhl to hdmi adapter
This is a official samsung adapter & it will work
i am a newbie so i cant post outside links
Go to
.amazon.com/MHL-Micro-USB-conversion-official-chipset/dp/1060697343[/url]
21st January 2015, 09:11 PM |#23  

5 posts
I found this thread while looking for information on how to get my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 to connect to a TV and charge at the same time. I have tried two different MHL/USB adapters which neither worked. They would push the video out but would not charge. I am using a Sharp Aquos 39LE551U TV which has an MHL adapter on it. No matter what I did, it wouldn't work. I just got off a live chat with Samsung Support and I am happy to provide my transcript. Long story short, the new line of Galaxy Tabs have MHL built into them but Samsung has purposely disabled the charging feature on them. Here is the transcript for anyone who is interested. I just pulled the names out of the transcript.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Rep'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Rep: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?
Me: I have a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 that I am trying to connect to a TV. I am using the MHL connector to the TV and I can get picture but I can't get it to charge the tablet at the same time. The TV has an MHL port that I am connecting to and I have tried with power from the TV and from the wall but no go.
Me: How do I get this to connect to the TV, display a picture and charge the tablet at the same time?
Rep: I see that you are able to screen mirror the tablet with the television and you are not able to charge the tablet at the same time. Am I correct?
Me: correct
Me: I have tried two different MHL connecting cables and neither worked.
Me: Is there a way to test the port on the tablet for MHL functionality?
Rep: What is the model number of the tablet which is located on the rear panel?
Me: SM-T700
Rep: Let me check my resources to provide you with the information.
Me: Thank you
Me: Also, the TV I am connecting to is a Sharp Aquos 39LE551U. 39" 1080p LCD TV
Rep: Just to confirm, did you purchase the adapter from Samsung?
Me: No I did not. I purchased it when I purchased the tablet from Amazon
Me: Here is a link to the MHL cable I purchased: .amazon.com/gp/product/106069736X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Me: And, assuming that the adapter itself was bad, I just picked up an off brand cable by a different OEM to test and that didn't work either but I just took that one as it was an off brand one but it was recommended to me on many different forum boards as one that would work.
Rep: Thank you for the link.
Me: no problem
Rep: I checked my resources and I'm afraid that it is not possible to charge the tablet with the adapter connecting it to a television.
Me: That doesn't make sense, the tablet is MHL compatible so that means it should be able to charge while connected
Me: is the adapter specific a wrong one or is that functionality just not built into the tablet itself?
Rep: However, the Samsung adapters manufactured to the tablet will not have the feature to charge the tablet.
Rep: It might effect the battery life of the tablet when you connect the tablet to charge for a longer time connecting it to a television.
Me: I do understand the battery life scenario but this isn't a constant connection. This is for when I am doing longer work on it as I use this tablet instead of an actual computer.
Me: So, I do need some explanation on this. The tablet is MHL compatible and I am connecting it to an MHL compatible TV, using the appropriate adapter so how does it not have the ability to charge while connected? Isn't that the opposite of what MHL was designed for?
Rep: I do understand your concern however, it is not possible to charge the tablet using the adapter(connected to a television), and it is manufactured as per the device compatibility by Samsung.
Me: um, ok, still doesn't make sense. Are any of the Samsung Galaxy tablets able to do use this feature?
Me: Also, if the device can't do this, why is it sold as MHL compatible? If you look up what MHL means online, it tells you that you can connect a device to an external source and charge it at the same time using the same port. Almost looks like false advertising on Samsungs part
Rep: The tablets which are manufactured in earlier 2012 and 2013 have the feature to charge the tablet connecting it a adapter.
Rep: Samsung discontinued the feature to the latest models.
Me: But this tablet is the most recent one you guys put out and manufactured in 2014. Shouldn't this be better than the older ones?
Me: Then why have MHL compatibility as a selling point of the device?
Rep: Yes, Samsung devices comes with the MHL compatibility however, the accessories manufactured to the latest tablets do not charge the tablets connecting it to a computer.
Me: Then the accessories shouldn't be sold with that stated as a feature of them.
Rep: If you want I can provide you the accessories contact information, you may contact them regarding the issue.
Me: Please as this doesn't make sense.
Rep: I have surely helped you if there is any such possibility however, it is not possible to charge the tablet using the adapter.
21st January 2015, 11:09 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 5

15 posts
This is the one I use. I have no problem charging and watching videos at the same time. I use the charger and cable that came with the TAB S.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
23rd January 2015, 03:49 PM |#25  

5 posts
Thanks for the option. I have ordered that one and will test it out when it comes in. Sux that Samsung couldn't have been nice enough to give me that.
24th January 2015, 01:00 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 193

747 posts
Not being funny, but why would any one want to pay such a price for a device when you can buy a chromecast for less which solves all these problems and is far more versatile and works with any device?
The only use i can see for it is when wifi and internet are not available. I never use my htc mhl adaptor which only cost a few pounds.
Last edited by ashyx; 24th January 2015 at 01:02 PM.
2nd March 2015, 10:44 PM |#27  

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx

Not being funny, but why would any one want to pay such a price for a device when you can buy a chromecast for less which solves all these problems and is far more versatile and works with any device?
The only use i can see for it is when wifi and internet are not available. I never use my htc mhl adaptor which only cost a few pounds.

From what I've been reading it seems Chromecast doesn't seem to work with screen mirroring and can experience lag with video. Any experience of this? I'm looking to find a good TV streaming experience.
3rd March 2015, 03:04 AM |#28  
Lafayette
Thanks Meter: 11

84 posts
More
I use the official MHL 3.0 adapter by Samsung and it charges my tab s T800 while mirroring my tab. It also works with my note edge sm-n915a. My tablet is rooted running iron rom, my phone is not. I hope this helps here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RLP...pf_rd_i=mobile
Last edited by AndroiderM; 3rd March 2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Typo
3rd March 2015, 09:48 AM |#29  

35 posts
Thank you, that's great. I will check it out.

Has anyone had experience with Chromecast? The Samsung adapter seems a solid option but it would be better to go for Chromecast as I can use that with other things.
3rd April 2015, 10:31 AM |#30  

15 posts
Hi
I bought t800 for mhl connection to my lcd monitor. I suppose I can use teamviewer app as a remote desktop. I bought two different cables but the result is same.
except video screen resolution is not acceptable. I mean bluryy.
There some app in google apps like scereen settings which allow you to define hdmi screen resolution but require root.
On the other hand I Think may be mhl connection is made for only video watch not like normal other hdmi port ((
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hdmi, mhl
Previous Thread Next Thread