[Q] Miracast on Tab S 8.4

Search This thread

DaveRR

Nov 6, 2012
Bromley, kent
Ive seen so many mixed report regarding Miracast. I really like the idea but am cautious. From what i understand Netgears Push 2 TV PTV3000 is considered one of the better dongles. Anyone got any recommendations or are currently using Miracast on thier Tab S? Not entirely sure if it is even compatible. Would appreciate any feedback on your experiences and any recommendations.

SteveYorks

Dec 9, 2009
Barnsley
I've got it. I use it. It works.

I got it when I had my Surface 2, I've continued using it with this Tab. Connects perfectly. Only thing I've noticed is that after watching a few HD YouTube videos, the sound goes out of sync with the video. I've yet to fully investigate this phenomenon, whether it be the YouTube app, the Tab, background apps etc. but can't see it been anything to do with the Netgear. I'm off on holiday now so won't be able to look into that for another week.

P.S. not sure if you could use Chromecast in the same way, but if so it would be a cheaper option.

Reactions: DaveRR

DaveRR

Nov 6, 2012
Bromley, kent

I got it when I had my Surface 2, I've continued using it with this Tab. Connects perfectly. Only thing I've noticed is that after watching a few HD YouTube videos, the sound goes out of sync with the video. I've yet to fully investigate this phenomenon, whether it be the YouTube app, the Tab, background apps etc. but can't see it been anything to do with the Netgear. I'm off on holiday now so won't be able to look into that for another week.

P.S. not sure if you could use Chromecast in the same way, but if so it would be a cheaper option.

Many thanks for your reply, did you root your Tab S?

geoux

My DLink Miracast adapter works perfect with the Tab S 8.4. Remember to update the firmware after you get the adapter home. Else it'll lag like hell. After the update it works like a charm.

And Tab isn't rooted.

Update:

After the recent Tab S firmware update, it simply stopped working. Samsung, what did you do?

Update:
After a firmware update of the Miracast dongle, it started working again. Darn.

Last edited:

SteveYorks

Dec 9, 2009
Barnsley
Ah, glad it's not just me then. I tried casting to the tv the other day (I'd just rooted the day before that) and I got an incompatible hardware issue or something, thought I'd broken something. I might have had an update in the background and it's ****ed it.
I'm using the Netgear PTV3000.

THEDEVIOUS1

Nov 26, 2009
possible solution

Update:

After the recent Tab S firmware update, it simply stopped working. Samsung, what did you do?

please see below...i know u say that you're not rooted but if u are using custom kernel or recovery then this pertains to u too

Ah, glad it's not just me then. I tried casting to the tv the other day (I'd just rooted the day before that) and I got an incompatible hardware issue or something, thought I'd broken something. I might have had an update in the background and it's ****ed it.
I'm using the Netgear PTV3000.

if u are using cw/twrp/philz recovery and/or the sky high kernel then the custom images have broken your wifi...u can either install my SuperSamung V2 rom with the fix already included or edit your build prop by adding the line wlan.wfd.hdcp=disable then save & reboot

pawces

Jan 21, 2008
Manila
Sorry to revive an old thread, but i'm considering getting a Miracast dongle to feed powerpoint presentations to an office projector from my Tab S. Couple questions though:

1. Will it work?
2. Am I better off going the wired micro-usb-to-hdmi route?

I'd really rather go wireless so I can walk around and not worry about yanking the cable off in the middle of a meeting with top execs.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Why miracast instead chromecast? Chromecast works perfectly from the tablet or pc and has better support.
I just see miracast as a poor mans version of chromecast.

fred_be9300

Mar 12, 2011
I'm also wondering about this.

For screen monitoring of e.g. games, photo viewing with Gallery of QuickPix, or tv streaming using an app provided by my cable company

I understood Chromecast is supposed to be especially good at showing content in the cloud. I forgot the exact list of supported services... Things like YouTube, picasa, Spotify, radio streams, Netflix? In this case, your tablet "refers" to the content, and chromecast does the actual downloading/streaming. Screen mirroring was added as an afterthought, and last I checked (hmm, 6 months ago) subject to a lot of disclaimers, supported only on some devices.

I understood Miracast is true screen mirroring, but the few receiver devices I looked at, mention technical limits, like (example) 15fps, which makes me doubt their use for video mirroring.

Thus I haven't bought anything yet :-\

More testimonies of miracast & Chromecast users could be interesting!

acdbrn2000

Apr 3, 2009
screen mirroring works fine with chromecast as long as you are not doing something effected by input/screen lag. Watching video from an app that is not natively supporting chromecasting (showbox...) is relatively simple. If you are on this forum you shoild have the ability to do it, just maybe not someone who can only facebook on their tab might have small issues. Casting pictures, slides, presentations or websites is fine too since there is no need to worry about the lag.

Gaming is annother story if you the person playing os wanting to use the tv screen then you have to pick a game with care. Any game that requires good to impossible timing (flappy anything or one finger death punch) is a great way for a masochist to have fun with out a sadist being in the room. Games that do not need fast timing like turn based strategy games or certain types of puzzle games are fine and work great. Even quite a few emulators work well like this but with the same game choice restrictions.

The screen lag you get is not anything like low fps it is input lag from the time difference it would take to simply send the information to your tablet vs the time it takes to send the information to your router and the router to send the information to the chromecast. I would assume miracast would suffer frome the same issues, though I haven't tried it yet.

Reactions: fred_be9300

fred_be9300

Mar 12, 2011
screen mirroring works fine with chromecast as long as you are not doing something effected by input/screen lag. Watching video from an app that is not natively supporting chromecasting (showbox...) is relatively simple.

Interesting.
Is both screen + audio sent to the Chromecast then? Or are there audio/video sync issues... If video happens on tv but lags behind the video+audio of the tablet...

acdbrn2000

Apr 3, 2009
The audio went out of the tv when I did a cast using cast screen. Most of the casting I do from my device uses uPnPlay a wonderful free app that is as good as most if not all the paid upnp apps (bubble upnp/ allcast). I have never had any issues with audio desync using that app.
when I did a sceen cast with show box I did have a streaming hicup (a slight stutter) once or twice but that may have been due to my old router (wrt54g) and not so much the chromecast.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Interesting.
Is both screen + audio sent to the Chromecast then? Or are there audio/video sync issues... If video happens on tv but lags behind the video+audio of the tablet...

Never had any sync issues casting with chromecast.
In most situations you would never have to screen cast as chromecast can pretty much cast anything web or local natively.
Presentations is really the only use I can see for screen casting.

fred_be9300

Mar 12, 2011
In most situations you would never have to screen cast as chromecast can pretty much cast anything web or local natively. Presentations is really the only use I can see for screen casting.
as I mentioned earlier, my TV cable provider, has an app that streams live TV. We have a 2nd TV in the bedroom for which we don't have a decoder box, but I hope I could screenmirror the TV stream that I can get through the App (audio&video).

acdbrn2000

Apr 3, 2009
as I mentioned earlier, my TV cable provider, has an app that streams live TV. We have a 2nd TV in the bedroom for which we don't have a decoder box, but I hope I could screenmirror the TV stream that I can get through the App (audio&video).

It should work fine for that then. You may get the occasional hiccup depending on many things but for the most part I do not see any reason why it would not work for you.

fred_be9300

Mar 12, 2011
Interesting.

So I caved and bought an Chromecast (CC)
Findings:
- screencast works fine most of the time. Transfers audio and video, and keeps good sync. But some applications cause a crash and reboot of the tablet (e.g. mirroring of MX Player playing a video)
- casting youtube works fine.
- the app I was most interested in (a TV streaming app of my local TV cable company) in fact does both Chromecasting, and works in screen casting mode. Hurray)
- good wifi reception is needed on both the tablet and the CC

and a general point
- according to reading around, it's not possible to use the CC without active internet connection, not even for local screencasting. Technically, it seems unnecessary to have an active internet connection on the WLAN that connects both the CC and the tablet (or pc), for local casting or screencasting. Read more at e.g. https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/XRktmNTk0QY

Sorry to take the thread off-topic from Miracast - but I think it's interesting to hear testimonies of both Chromecast and Miracast, to compare :)

regards

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

screen mirroring works fine with chromecast as long as you are not doing something effected by input/screen lag. Watching video from an app that is not natively supporting chromecasting (showbox...) is relatively simple. If you are on this forum you shoild have the ability to do it, just maybe not someone who can only facebook on their tab might have small issues. Casting pictures, slides, presentations or websites is fine too since there is no need to worry about the lag.

Gaming is annother story if you the person playing os wanting to use the tv screen then you have to pick a game with care. Any game that requires good to impossible timing (flappy anything or one finger death punch) is a great way for a masochist to have fun with out a sadist being in the room. Games that do not need fast timing like turn based strategy games or certain types of puzzle games are fine and work great. Even quite a few emulators work well like this but with the same game choice restrictions.

The screen lag you get is not anything like low fps it is input lag from the time difference it would take to simply send the information to your tablet vs the time it takes to send the information to your router and the router to send the information to the chromecast. I would assume miracast would suffer frome the same issues, though I haven't tried it yet.