Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,688 Members 41,743 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Super AMOLED - Black = off or still on?

Tip us?

ArcSyn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Super AMOLED - Black = off or still on?

I'm looking into purchasing the Galaxy Tab S 8.4, but one of my big uses is for reading on the Kindle app. Currently, on my LCD device I read with a black background and white text to reduce the light emitted as I do a lot of reading before bed, but it still is a lot of light which can keep my wife awake. Does the Galaxy Tab S actually turn off the pixels producing black, or is just very, very dark? I know AMOLED is supposed to turn them off, but I've heard conflicting reports that some devices do and some don't. Would someone be able to load up the Kindle app and set it to black with white text and let me know if it actually shuts off the pixels so it wouldn't be as bright in a dark room?

Thanks!

Armpowered
Old
Thanks Meter 19
The Kindle app set to black background truly gives a black background, if set to use system brightness you can also get a very dim white for the text. If looking at something like the dark theme in Tapatalk you don't get black, the background is a dark grey. A bonus of running the kindle app like this is that battery life should be extended, compared to using a white background.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

ThE_SoUrCe
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcSyn View Post
I'm looking into purchasing the Galaxy Tab S 8.4, but one of my big uses is for reading on the Kindle app. Currently, on my LCD device I read with a black background and white text to reduce the light emitted as I do a lot of reading before bed, but it still is a lot of light which can keep my wife awake. Does the Galaxy Tab S actually turn off the pixels producing black, or is just very, very dark? I know AMOLED is supposed to turn them off, but I've heard conflicting reports that some devices do and some don't. Would someone be able to load up the Kindle app and set it to black with white text and let me know if it actually shuts off the pixels so it wouldn't be as bright in a dark room?

Thanks!
I could say that this is true black. Comoared to my old 7.7 which gives a slight glow when displaying pure black. This one seems like the screen is off

ibill1
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armpowered View Post
The Kindle app set to black background truly gives a black background, if set to use system brightness you can also get a very dim white for the text. If looking at something like the dark theme in Tapatalk you don't get black, the background is a dark grey. A bonus of running the kindle app like this is that battery life should be extended, compared to using a white background.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Same here. What he said. Your wife will be happy.