Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,393 Members 53,729 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tab S 8.4 Question

Tip us?
 
veenab
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 105
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Default Tab S 8.4 Question

Hello,

Im thinking of buying this today, My basic usuage will be for reading books,
Would this screen size be a issue for reading or should i go for 10.1 ?
 
murmur70
Old
#2  
murmur70's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 145
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bedford, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by veenab View Post
Hello,

Im thinking of buying this today, My basic usuage will be for reading books,
Would this screen size be a issue for reading or should i go for 10.1 ?
In my opinion. This is the perfect size for reading. That is one of my primary usages for the 8.4. Larger=heavier=lesser reading experience.
 
ukael
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by veenab View Post
Hello,

Im thinking of buying this today, My basic usuage will be for reading books,
Would this screen size be a issue for reading or should i go for 10.1 ?
Depends on what you are willing to read. For e-books, I'd actually aim at a 7" tablet that you can easily hold in one hand, which is not the case of the Tab S 8.4.
In e-books the fonts are scaleable, and an app such as Moon+ reader allows you to scroll the text as you read for optimized reading ergonomy. In my opinion, handling comfort is more important than screen size.
I personally use a 2nd gen Nexus 7, which is not only easier to manipulate but also offers a smoother scrolling than Tab S 8.4, but I beleive Huawei X1 to be an even better option for this usage.

If you are more interested in comics, then a larger screen will be more comfortable. 7" is good enough with scrolling, 8.4" is more comfortable but 10.5" is better for this usage as it allows to decently display a full page in portrait mode.
 
TheGoD
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 233
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukael View Post
Depends on what you are willing to read. For e-books, I'd actually aim at a 7" tablet that you can easily hold in one hand, which is not the case of the Tab S 8.4.
In e-books the fonts are scaleable, and an app such as Moon+ reader allows you to scroll the text as you read for optimized reading ergonomy. In my opinion, handling comfort is more important than screen size.
I personally use a 2nd gen Nexus 7, which is not only easier to manipulate but also offers a smoother scrolling than Tab S 8.4, but I beleive Huawei X1 to be an even better option for this usage.
The 2nd gen Nexus 7 got the same weight as the Tab S 8.4 or to be more precise, it's 290 g against 294 g. Besides that, the Tab S actually feels a bit lighter to me because the weight is more balanced in that slightly bigger device. I bought the Tab S last week after using the Nexus for a year for its better screen as well as the sd slot and the lack of multitouch issues (which plague all N7 2nd gen IMO more or less). Anyway, I did prefer 7" before the purchase but now I thing the (light weight) 8.4 device is a better compromise all around. The handling comfort is really around the same or for me a bit better on the Tab S and it is just as mobile (fits easily in the back pocket of my baggy jeans).


Quote:
Originally Posted by ukael View Post
If you are more interested in comics, then a larger screen will be more comfortable. 7" is good enough with scrolling, 8.4" is more comfortable but 10.5" is better for this usage as it allows to decently display a full page in portrait mode.
Yeah, Comixology as well as CBZ/CBR files profit allot from the noticeable size increase (still talking about N7 2k13 against Tab S 8.4). Plus the deep blacks (as well as the vibrant and adjustable colors) help with the large black parts in most comic art and keep the battery usage down.
- Devices: Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Omnia II - WM 6.5.3
- PC: Windows 7, Core2Duo@3Ghz, 6GB Ram, Geforce 8800gt 512MB.

All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer.
 
ukael
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoD View Post
The 2nd gen Nexus 7 got the same weight as the Tab S 8.4 or to be more precise, it's 290 g against 294 g. Besides that, the Tab S actually feels a bit lighter to me because the weight is more balanced in that slightly bigger device. I bought the Tab S last week after using the Nexus for a year for its better screen as well as the sd slot and the lack of multitouch issues (which plague all N7 2nd gen IMO more or less). Anyway, I did prefer 7" before the purchase but now I thing the (light weight) 8.4 device is a better compromise all around. The handling comfort is really around the same or for me a bit better on the Tab S and it is just as mobile (fits easily in the back pocket of my baggy jeans).


Yeah, Comixology as well as CBZ/CBR files profit allot from the noticeable size increase (still talking about N7 2k13 against Tab S 8.4). Plus the deep blacks (as well as the vibrant and adjustable colors) help with the large black parts in most comic art and keep the battery usage down.
Interesting points you highlight here. The handling comfort seems to be a matter of personal preference. As far as I am concerned, I use the Nexus 7 without cover, and hold it in one hand when reading.
The Tab S is the same weight without cover, but I find it less comfortable to hold single handed. Worse, I find the samsung touchkeys to be a permanent annoyance when handling the tab without a cover, because its borders are so thin it's though to find a proper place to grip on it. I therefore use it exclusively with its top grade official cover, which is an awesome stand and improves handling but adds 50% weight and doesn't make it thinner for single handed use.
That and the fact the N7 offers a smoother experience on Moon+ Reader lead me to prefer it for ebooks reading. And I can't help thinking about how good the Huawei X1 with its 220g should be for this usage.

Now, I totally agree that the tab S's size is more versatile option. 8.4" is an excellent compromise that led me to completely give up on 10" tablets. But I'm not much of a comics reader, and don't care about the screen size for movies.
 
veenab
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 105
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukael View Post
Depends on what you are willing to read. For e-books, I'd actually aim at a 7" tablet that you can easily hold in one hand, which is not the case of the Tab S 8.4.
In e-books the fonts are scaleable, and an app such as Moon+ reader allows you to scroll the text as you read for optimized reading ergonomy. In my opinion, handling comfort is more important than screen size.
I personally use a 2nd gen Nexus 7, which is not only easier to manipulate but also offers a smoother scrolling than Tab S 8.4, but I beleive Huawei X1 to be an even better option for this usage.

If you are more interested in comics, then a larger screen will be more comfortable. 7" is good enough with scrolling, 8.4" is more comfortable but 10.5" is better for this usage as it allows to decently display a full page in portrait mode.
Not comics but my basically study material ( programming languagues,etc)
I already ordered a Tab S 8.4 on ebay,
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA Xposed Tuesday: How to Shut Up Your Phone – XDA Developer TV

So many different applications want to send us notifications that … more

Add Some Power to First Generation Snapdragon CPUs

Some older devices still remain very popular. Phones like theHTC Desire, Sony Ericsson … more

Android M Mentions Spotted in Android Code Review

While we are still waiting for Android L to be officially released, the first mentions of … more

Create a Simple Custom Launcher from Scratch

When you are starting your journey intoany sort of development, it’s never easy at the … more