Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Tab S 8.4 Question

OP veenab

29th August 2014, 11:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 10

105 posts
More
Hello,

Im thinking of buying this today, My basic usuage will be for reading books,
Would this screen size be a issue for reading or should i go for 10.1 ?
29th August 2014, 12:29 PM   |  #2  
Flag Bedford, IN
Thanks Meter: 34

156 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by veenab

Hello,

In my opinion. This is the perfect size for reading. That is one of my primary usages for the 8.4. Larger=heavier=lesser reading experience.
29th August 2014, 11:10 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 7

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veenab

Hello,

Depends on what you are willing to read. For e-books, I'd actually aim at a 7" tablet that you can easily hold in one hand, which is not the case of the Tab S 8.4.
In e-books the fonts are scaleable, and an app such as Moon+ reader allows you to scroll the text as you read for optimized reading ergonomy. In my opinion, handling comfort is more important than screen size.
I personally use a 2nd gen Nexus 7, which is not only easier to manipulate but also offers a smoother scrolling than Tab S 8.4, but I beleive Huawei X1 to be an even better option for this usage.

If you are more interested in comics, then a larger screen will be more comfortable. 7" is good enough with scrolling, 8.4" is more comfortable but 10.5" is better for this usage as it allows to decently display a full page in portrait mode.
30th August 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 26

243 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukael

Depends on what you are willing to read. For e-books, I'd actually aim at a 7" tablet that you can easily hold in one hand, which is not the case of the Tab S 8.4.
In e-books the fonts are scaleable, and an app such as Moon+ reader allows you to scroll the text as you read for optimized reading ergonomy. In my opinion, handling comfort is more important than screen size.
I personally use a 2nd gen Nexus 7, which is not only easier to manipulate but also offers a smoother scrolling than Tab S 8.4, but I beleive Huawei X1 to be an even better option for this usage.

The 2nd gen Nexus 7 got the same weight as the Tab S 8.4 or to be more precise, it's 290 g against 294 g. Besides that, the Tab S actually feels a bit lighter to me because the weight is more balanced in that slightly bigger device. I bought the Tab S last week after using the Nexus for a year for its better screen as well as the sd slot and the lack of multitouch issues (which plague all N7 2nd gen IMO more or less). Anyway, I did prefer 7" before the purchase but now I thing the (light weight) 8.4 device is a better compromise all around. The handling comfort is really around the same or for me a bit better on the Tab S and it is just as mobile (fits easily in the back pocket of my baggy jeans).

Quote:

If you are more interested in comics, then a larger screen will be more comfortable. 7" is good enough with scrolling, 8.4" is more comfortable but 10.5" is better for this usage as it allows to decently display a full page in portrait mode.

Yeah, Comixology as well as CBZ/CBR files profit allot from the noticeable size increase (still talking about N7 2k13 against Tab S 8.4). Plus the deep blacks (as well as the vibrant and adjustable colors) help with the large black parts in most comic art and keep the battery usage down.
30th August 2014, 02:56 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoD

The 2nd gen Nexus 7 got the same weight as the Tab S 8.4 or to be more precise, it's 290 g against 294 g. Besides that, the Tab S actually feels a bit lighter to me because the weight is more balanced in that slightly bigger device. I bought the Tab S last week after using the Nexus for a year for its better screen as well as the sd slot and the lack of multitouch issues (which plague all N7 2nd gen IMO more or less). Anyway, I did prefer 7" before the purchase but now I thing the (light weight) 8.4 device is a better compromise all around. The handling comfort is really around the same or for me a bit better on the Tab S and it is just as mobile (fits easily in the back pocket of my baggy jeans).

Yeah, Comixology as well as CBZ/CBR files profit allot from the noticeable size increase (still talking about N7 2k13 against Tab S 8.4). Plus the deep blacks (as well as the vibrant and adjustable colors) help with the large black parts in most comic art and keep the battery usage down.

Interesting points you highlight here. The handling comfort seems to be a matter of personal preference. As far as I am concerned, I use the Nexus 7 without cover, and hold it in one hand when reading.
The Tab S is the same weight without cover, but I find it less comfortable to hold single handed. Worse, I find the samsung touchkeys to be a permanent annoyance when handling the tab without a cover, because its borders are so thin it's though to find a proper place to grip on it. I therefore use it exclusively with its top grade official cover, which is an awesome stand and improves handling but adds 50% weight and doesn't make it thinner for single handed use.
That and the fact the N7 offers a smoother experience on Moon+ Reader lead me to prefer it for ebooks reading. And I can't help thinking about how good the Huawei X1 with its 220g should be for this usage.

Now, I totally agree that the tab S's size is more versatile option. 8.4" is an excellent compromise that led me to completely give up on 10" tablets. But I'm not much of a comics reader, and don't care about the screen size for movies.
30th August 2014, 07:43 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 10

105 posts
More
Quote:

Not comics but my basically study material ( programming languagues,etc)
I already ordered a Tab S 8.4 on ebay,
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy Tab S Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank