MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Tab S 8.4 vs. Xperia tablet z

OP AllanJacques

26th August 2014, 04:09 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 7

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eousphoros

I'm not having any of the issues you highlighted with the screen. If you have already voided your warranty it would be interesting to see if you have the same issue with my asop build.

As a newb at flashing roms, I didn't go further than rooting at the moment.

Regarding the screen, while I am surprised that people report not noticing the issues at all, I am convinced many just don't notice them.
The smearing is actually more felt, guessed than seen. But once noticed, it becomes an annoyance.
The green/yellow tint is only visible on white backgrounds and when comparing to other screens or looking at it for a duration (reading e-books or internet webpages). It's far from being obvious on first sight.

The Mura effect however should become obvious to anyone looking for it. You can try with the follwing steps:
- Download and install screen adjuster.
- Get in the complete darkness
- Launch Screen adjuster, and set Red, Green and Blue to +5. Make sure it's switched on
- Look at a completely black background
=> The black background won't be black anymore but very dark grey. This is what Screen adjuster did by adding +5 in each color. If the screen is affected by mura effect, some areas will be lighter grey and others darker.

This is an issue that affects the 3 tab S 8.4 I tried (I exchanged it twice), as well as my Galaxy SII and my PS Vita. I just wish it wouldn't be the case, but I have yet to see an amoled display that isn't affected, and can hardly beleive I would be cursed badly enough to always get faulty units.
26th August 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 113

832 posts
No issues on mine. The screen is superlative!
28th August 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 87

448 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukael

As a newb at flashing roms, I didn't go further than rooting at the moment.

Regarding the screen, while I am surprised that people report not noticing the issues at all, I am convinced many just don't notice them.
The smearing is actually more felt, guessed than seen. But once noticed, it becomes an annoyance.
The green/yellow tint is only visible on white backgrounds and when comparing to other screens or looking at it for a duration (reading e-books or internet webpages). It's far from being obvious on first sight.

The Mura effect however should become obvious to anyone looking for it. You can try with the follwing steps:
- Download and install screen adjuster.
- Get in the complete darkness
- Launch Screen adjuster, and set Red, Green and Blue to +5. Make sure it's switched on
- Look at a completely black background
=> The black background won't be black anymore but very dark grey. This is what Screen adjuster did by adding +5 in each color. If the screen is affected by mura effect, some areas will be lighter grey and others darker.

This is an issue that affects the 3 tab S 8.4 I tried (I exchanged it twice), as well as my Galaxy SII and my PS Vita. I just wish it wouldn't be the case, but I have yet to see an amoled display that isn't affected, and can hardly beleive I would be cursed badly enough to always get faulty units.

I've already tested mine T800 for mura with many shades of grey and no issues found.
28th August 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 7

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboney

I've already tested mine T800 for mura with many shades of grey and no issues found.

Yes, from my readings here and there, T800 screens whouldn't suffer from the same issues. They use a different technology though, I wish T700 would be using the same.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread