Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 49,063 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can you use the Tab S as a phone?

Tip us?

colts187
Old
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
I wonder if the LTE version will work with Verizon. My iPad air from AT&T does because Verizon can't tell the difference. It just shows up in my account as an unregistered device. Hmm might be worth a shot?

mitchellvii
Old
Thanks Meter 1106
Have never comprehended why anyone would want to use their tablet as a phone? If you are like me, you always have your phone with you so it seems a bit redundant. It's one of those, yes I suppose you could by why would you sort of things.

colts187
Old
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Using a tablet as a phone is ridiculous unless you are just a cheap ass. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4127
It's bigger than just using a tablet as a "phone." It's about being always connected too.
  • A tablet's battery is three or four times bigger than a phone's. Why would you use the latter to provide Wi-Fi to the former? Especially when adding another device to an existing data plan is $10-15?

• Tethering is a pain in the ass. Take out phone, turn on Wi-Fi sharing, connect tablet and reverse it all when you're done. Forget to turn Wi-Fi sharing off on your phone and its battery is toast.

• With an always connected tablet you can just pull it out and use it. When a Wi-Fi tablet's connected after being offline it runs like a slug initially depending on how many background syncs have to catch up. Replying to e-mail on a connected tablet's great because it's always sync'd.

• On a tablet you can use (and control) the phone and MMS while in a call and using S Note, the web, etc. Both the phone and MMS are pen window and multi view enabled. Long or group MMSs are a hell of a lot easier to send from a tablet.

• By using the tablet for long calls you're preserving your phone's smaller battery. And your phone is where you'll make and receive important calls.
Obviously this means nothing to consumption users but is a God send to productivity users. I personally wouldn't own a non-connected tablet after using one for almost three years.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mitchellvii
Old
(Last edited by mitchellvii; 28th July 2014 at 10:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1106
As you said it really depends on your use case. For me tethering is a piece of cake and my phone has unlimited data for basically free. For $15 a month I would get what, maybe a gig of data? So that's $180 extra a year for limited use plus the extra cost of the LTE tablet which ain't cheap. As far as battery life I can carry 2 spare phone batteries in my pocket and go for days.

That being said, if I were a road warrior and wasn't concerned about how much unlimited data would cost I'd probably get the LTE model just out of convenience.

kingofthebraves
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I have the 10.5 lte and it's definitely harder to use it as a phone because it's huge! There's a mic at the bottom and the speaker is loudspeaker mode only
Hero / Nexus One/ Desire / Galaxy S / Desire Z / Nexus S / Galaxy S2 / Galaxy Nexus / Galaxy Note / One X / Galaxy Note2 / BB Z10 / Galaxy s4