Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Can you use the Tab S as a phone?

OP kuromusha38

26th July 2014, 10:47 PM   |  #21  
Flag Little Rock
Thanks Meter: 27

307 posts
Donate to Me
I wonder if the LTE version will work with Verizon. My iPad air from AT&T does because Verizon can't tell the difference. It just shows up in my account as an unregistered device. Hmm might be worth a shot?
27th July 2014, 10:01 AM   |  #22  
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 1,217

5,358 posts
Have never comprehended why anyone would want to use their tablet as a phone? If you are like me, you always have your phone with you so it seems a bit redundant. It's one of those, yes I suppose you could by why would you sort of things.
27th July 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #23  
Flag Little Rock
Thanks Meter: 27

307 posts
Donate to Me
Using a tablet as a phone is ridiculous unless you are just a cheap ass. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
27th July 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #24  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,282

8,822 posts
It's bigger than just using a tablet as a "phone." It's about being always connected too.
  • A tablet's battery is three or four times bigger than a phone's. Why would you use the latter to provide Wi-Fi to the former? Especially when adding another device to an existing data plan is $10-15?

• Tethering is a pain in the ass. Take out phone, turn on Wi-Fi sharing, connect tablet and reverse it all when you're done. Forget to turn Wi-Fi sharing off on your phone and its battery is toast.

• With an always connected tablet you can just pull it out and use it. When a Wi-Fi tablet's connected after being offline it runs like a slug initially depending on how many background syncs have to catch up. Replying to e-mail on a connected tablet's great because it's always sync'd.

• On a tablet you can use (and control) the phone and MMS while in a call and using S Note, the web, etc. Both the phone and MMS are pen window and multi view enabled. Long or group MMSs are a hell of a lot easier to send from a tablet.

• By using the tablet for long calls you're preserving your phone's smaller battery. And your phone is where you'll make and receive important calls.
Obviously this means nothing to consumption users but is a God send to productivity users. I personally wouldn't own a non-connected tablet after using one for almost three years.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 10:27 AM   |  #25  
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 1,217

5,358 posts
As you said it really depends on your use case. For me tethering is a piece of cake and my phone has unlimited data for basically free. For $15 a month I would get what, maybe a gig of data? So that's $180 extra a year for limited use plus the extra cost of the LTE tablet which ain't cheap. As far as battery life I can carry 2 spare phone batteries in my pocket and go for days.

That being said, if I were a road warrior and wasn't concerned about how much unlimited data would cost I'd probably get the LTE model just out of convenience.
Last edited by mitchellvii; 28th July 2014 at 10:50 AM.
29th July 2014, 03:25 AM   |  #26  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 41

908 posts
More
I have the 10.5 lte and it's definitely harder to use it as a phone because it's huge! There's a mic at the bottom and the speaker is loudspeaker mode only
20th September 2014, 08:44 PM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 34

770 posts
I have a few questions
The tab 8.4 is definitely usable as a phone without earpiece but the 10.5 isn't unless u use a Bluetooth headset.
Also doesn't the battery on tablet last longer compared to phones or is it worser.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread