Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 54,054 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] User`s feedback - want to buy 8.4

Tip us?
 
senel
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 106
Join Date: Apr 2011
Question [Q] User`s feedback - want to buy 8.4

Hi,

currently I am thinking about swithing from N7 2012 (grouper) to 8.4 (non-LTE) and I am little bit scared from what I read here or on any other sites...

I read lot about lags, poor performance, these problems were slightly mentioned even in reviews. But when I am reading here how many problems 8.4 user`s have I am thinking of buying Shield Tablet.

Can anybody please provide his own opinion on the 8.4 version? Is really real life performance that bad? - Benchmarks show different things...

Thanks for your replies...
 
Ngambek2003
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 110
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by senel View Post
Hi,

currently I am thinking about swithing from N7 2012 (grouper) to 8.4 (non-LTE) and I am little bit scared from what I read here or on any other sites...

I read lot about lags, poor performance, these problems were slightly mentioned even in reviews. But when I am reading here how many problems 8.4 user`s have I am thinking of buying Shield Tablet.

Can anybody please provide his own opinion on the 8.4 version? Is really real life performance that bad? - Benchmarks show different things...

Thanks for your replies...
I have the 8.4 Tab s and performance wise I think it's good. I haven't noticed any lags. I'm not running anything out of the ordinary though. I don't play games on it. Mostly for media consumption. Battery life has also been good. It can comfortably last a day browsing and watching videos.

Quality control on the other hand I'm not too happy about. This is my third Tab S. The first two had a dead pixel, so I exchanged them. On this one no dead pixel, but there's a pink tint on a slight tilt. It's noticeable when I put the Tab S on a desk for example in portrait orientation. Obviously in that case I would be viewing the device tilted since it would be uncomfortable for me to put my head directly over it over the desk.
Current: ATT Galaxy Note 3 (Black), Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Previous: ATT Galaxy Note 2, ATT Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, Motorola Atrix 4G, HTC Nexus One, Nokia N95
 
senel
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 106
Join Date: Apr 2011
I am afraid of input lags mentioned here on forums. I'd like the tablet for taking notes and mainly consume content.

I am not hardcore gamer, but sometimes I like to play games like FIFA or Autumn Dynasty.

YouTube videos shows pretty good gaming performance and also pretty significant lags in Touchwiz. Are there really that bad or is was solved by update?

I would say it's pretty decent replacement for Nexus 7. Shield tablet also looks good (and has stylus - big plus) but the display and is not as good.
 
Ngambek2003
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 110
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by senel View Post
I am afraid of input lags mentioned here on forums. I'd like the tablet for taking notes and mainly consume content.

I am not hardcore gamer, but sometimes I like to play games like FIFA or Autumn Dynasty.

YouTube videos shows pretty good gaming performance and also pretty significant lags in Touchwiz. Are there really that bad or is was solved by update?

I would say it's pretty decent replacement for Nexus 7. Shield tablet also looks good (and has stylus - big plus) but the display and is not as good.
TouchWiz has been fine for me. No lag.
Current: ATT Galaxy Note 3 (Black), Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Previous: ATT Galaxy Note 2, ATT Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, Motorola Atrix 4G, HTC Nexus One, Nokia N95
The Following User Says Thank You to Ngambek2003 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Enddo
Old
#5  
Enddo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 658
Posts: 1,511
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by senel View Post
I am afraid of input lags mentioned here on forums. I'd like the tablet for taking notes and mainly consume content.

I am not hardcore gamer, but sometimes I like to play games like FIFA or Autumn Dynasty.

YouTube videos shows pretty good gaming performance and also pretty significant lags in Touchwiz. Are there really that bad or is was solved by update?

I would say it's pretty decent replacement for Nexus 7. Shield tablet also looks good (and has stylus - big plus) but the display and is not as good.
I'm not going to pay 5 dollars to test a game for you, but I would be happy to download fifa14 and any other free game to test for you.

I am getting unbearable lag in Simpsons Tapped Out, so I'm curious to know how other games perform on this tablet. Let me know if any games come to mind that you would like me to test out
 
ukael
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by senel View Post
I am afraid of input lags mentioned here on forums. I'd like the tablet for taking notes and mainly consume content.

I am not hardcore gamer, but sometimes I like to play games like FIFA or Autumn Dynasty.

YouTube videos shows pretty good gaming performance and also pretty significant lags in Touchwiz. Are there really that bad or is was solved by update?

I would say it's pretty decent replacement for Nexus 7. Shield tablet also looks good (and has stylus - big plus) but the display and is not as good.
I love my Tab S 8.4, but I have two concerns about it:
- Screen homogeneity
- Performances

Let's start with screen homogeneity:
I exchanged the tablet several times and tested some more in stores. All of them were affected by screen homogeneity issues. I am being really touchy here, as it is only visible in specific situations: Extremely dark homogenous images that are not black, looked at in the darkness. The background used for TouchWiz settings for instance si affected: When looking at it in the darkness, I can see a gradiant from a dark deep blue to a lighter, green tinted blue. It looks quite good, but it's a deflect known as "mura effect".

Besides that, this is pretty much a non issue when looking at bright/mixed colors. The colors are vibrant, the contrast increadible, the blacks are black and the viewing angles are excellent. The counterpart is that the low quality of some textures become much more obvious with such a good screen.

Now, the performance part is more annoying:
Coming from a Note 8.0 and a Nexus 7 2013, I was hoping for much better performances on the Tab S 8.4. And I am disappointed.
The unit does to be swifter, but it's lacks smoothness. It could be related to the amount of pixels to display, to the lack of GFX power, to poor Exynos/Firmware optimization, to TW issue... but the result is a lack of perceived performances compared to my previous tablets.

Again, I am being touchy: I am used to perfectly smooth animations on 2013 tablets, and I notice stuttering and slower animations in general on this one. Here are some examples comparing Nexus 7 2013 to Tab S 8.4:

- Opening/Closing windows or apps animation: This one is 100% smooth on the N7, while often stuttering on S 8.4. At its best it can look smooth, but N7 will still look smoother. It also affects fading effects during loading times: In the playstore for instance, when loading a new page the fading effect tends to stutter.
On another hand, apps are loading slightly faster on Tab S 8.4.

- Games: I tested Riptide GP2 and Asphalt 8, and am now installing Fifa 14. Both game are running ok, but suffer from DPS drops. Riptide GP2 automatically goes for average settings, and still doesn't run as smooth as it does on my N7.

- Perfect Viewer (Comics reader) and Moon+ Reader (e-book reader): Two of my favourite apps, both of them are quite obviously running smoother on my N7 than on Tab S 8.4. By smoother, I mean scrolling pages with a higher FPS.

- Web browsing: No issue here, the pages are loading quickly (maybe even faster than on N7)

- Benchmarks: No issues here either. The Tab S 8.4 is a killer in benchmarks, with theorically a good 50% more performances than N7 2013. It looks like the power is there, and is optimized for benchmarks.

- TW scrolling: Extremely smooth, nothing to report here. Every launcher I tried ran smoothly when it comes to scrolling, but all are still affected with transitions during loading times.

As a bottomline, my feeling is mixed up. The power is obviously there, but it looks like only few apps are optimized for it. I hope to see improvement in future firmware, official or not.
Because even through these issues, this is an increadible piece of hardware. Difficilt to handle without a cover (it is too thin, and so are its borders), but well built, extremely slim and with an increadible display. It would definitely be an iPad killer if it was backed up by as much optimization efforts as Apple puts in its devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukael For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
senel
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 106
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukael View Post
I love my Tab S 8.4, but I have two concerns about it:
- Screen homogeneity
- Performances

Let's start with screen homogeneity:
I exchanged the tablet several times and tested some more in stores. All of them were affected by screen homogeneity issues. I am being really touchy here, as it is only visible in specific situations: Extremely dark homogenous images that are not black, looked at in the darkness. The background used for TouchWiz settings for instance si affected: When looking at it in the darkness, I can see a gradiant from a dark deep blue to a lighter, green tinted blue. It looks quite good, but it's a deflect known as "mura effect".

Besides that, this is pretty much a non issue when looking at bright/mixed colors. The colors are vibrant, the contrast increadible, the blacks are black and the viewing angles are excellent. The counterpart is that the low quality of some textures become much more obvious with such a good screen.

Now, the performance part is more annoying:
Coming from a Note 8.0 and a Nexus 7 2013, I was hoping for much better performances on the Tab S 8.4. And I am disappointed.
The unit does to be swifter, but it's lacks smoothness. It could be related to the amount of pixels to display, to the lack of GFX power, to poor Exynos/Firmware optimization, to TW issue... but the result is a lack of perceived performances compared to my previous tablets.

Again, I am being touchy: I am used to perfectly smooth animations on 2013 tablets, and I notice stuttering and slower animations in general on this one. Here are some examples comparing Nexus 7 2013 to Tab S 8.4:

- Opening/Closing windows or apps animation: This one is 100% smooth on the N7, while often stuttering on S 8.4. At its best it can look smooth, but N7 will still look smoother. It also affects fading effects during loading times: In the playstore for instance, when loading a new page the fading effect tends to stutter.
On another hand, apps are loading slightly faster on Tab S 8.4.

- Games: I tested Riptide GP2 and Asphalt 8, and am now installing Fifa 14. Both game are running ok, but suffer from DPS drops. Riptide GP2 automatically goes for average settings, and still doesn't run as smooth as it does on my N7.

- Perfect Viewer (Comics reader) and Moon+ Reader (e-book reader): Two of my favourite apps, both of them are quite obviously running smoother on my N7 than on Tab S 8.4. By smoother, I mean scrolling pages with a higher FPS.

- Web browsing: No issue here, the pages are loading quickly (maybe even faster than on N7)

- Benchmarks: No issues here either. The Tab S 8.4 is a killer in benchmarks, with theorically a good 50% more performances than N7 2013. It looks like the power is there, and is optimized for benchmarks.

- TW scrolling: Extremely smooth, nothing to report here. Every launcher I tried ran smoothly when it comes to scrolling, but all are still affected with transitions during loading times.

As a bottomline, my feeling is mixed up. The power is obviously there, but it looks like only few apps are optimized for it. I hope to see improvement in future firmware, official or not.
Because even through these issues, this is an increadible piece of hardware. Difficilt to handle without a cover (it is too thin, and so are its borders), but well built, extremely slim and with an increadible display. It would definitely be an iPad killer if it was backed up by as much optimization efforts as Apple puts in its devices.
Thank you for your exhaustive post. It gives me pretty good overview over the 8.4 situation and basically confirms my worris. However I`m still tillted towards to buy it.

I read that using 3rd party cases that covers whole back causes back cover deformations. It would be major issue for me if it`s true. Samsung stated that it was SW issue, however many users were complaining about poor plastic used to back cover. So I understand that solution is to OEM cover. Am I right?

And another question: About the year ago Samsung stated that future Exynos 5 power devices (http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/s...os-5-octa-hmp/) will use 8 cores at same time. This was only mention I found since then. What`s the situation now? Can 8.4 use all 8 cores simultaneously?
 
ukael
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 39
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by senel View Post
Thank you for your exhaustive post. It gives me pretty good overview over the 8.4 situation and basically confirms my worris. However I`m still tillted towards to buy it.

I read that using 3rd party cases that covers whole back causes back cover deformations. It would be major issue for me if it`s true. Samsung stated that it was SW issue, however many users were complaining about poor plastic used to back cover. So I understand that solution is to OEM cover. Am I right?

And another question: About the year ago Samsung stated that future Exynos 5 power devices (http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/s...os-5-octa-hmp/) will use 8 cores at same time. This was only mention I found since then. What`s the situation now? Can 8.4 use all 8 cores simultaneously?
I have not seen any tab affected by the back cover issues. The quality of the back on mine looks excellent, and feels great.
I personally use the official book cover. It's a little bit heavy, but extremely slim and nicely hardened. Once in position, it has a strong grip on the tab and becomes an efficient support with multiple viewing angles.
 
Stupid1337deer
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 38
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Louisville
Quote:
Originally Posted by senel View Post
Hi,

currently I am thinking about swithing from N7 2012 (grouper) to 8.4 (non-LTE) and I am little bit scared from what I read here or on any other sites...

I read lot about lags, poor performance, these problems were slightly mentioned even in reviews. But when I am reading here how many problems 8.4 user`s have I am thinking of buying Shield Tablet.

Can anybody please provide his own opinion on the 8.4 version? Is really real life performance that bad? - Benchmarks show different things...

Thanks for your replies...
Hey man, I have the SM-T700 rooted and with the SkyHigh kernel, OCed to 2.1GHz, and UVed and it's fully stable, as well and runs cool. I absolutely love it. Build quality is very good, feels solid but light. For me, everything is perfect! It runs games and all apps incredibly. The smoothness of the touch input is the 2nd thing I noticed were very good. The first was the ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL display! I could hardly spot a single pixel from 2 Inches away!! The colors are brilliantly vibrant! I would definitely recommend it for any and all uses. I can't find a single flaw!(and I've tried to!) The book cover case is also very nice, sturdy, and feels good in your hand! Definitely a great choice! Excells in performance and beauty!

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by senel View Post
Hi,

currently I am thinking about swithing from N7 2012 (grouper) to 8.4 (non-LTE) and I am little bit scared from what I read here or on any other sites...

I read lot about lags, poor performance, these problems were slightly mentioned even in reviews. But when I am reading here how many problems 8.4 user`s have I am thinking of buying Shield Tablet.

Can anybody please provide his own opinion on the 8.4 version? Is really real life performance that bad? - Benchmarks show different things...

Thanks for your replies...
I take my tablet everywhere! And I have no issues with battery life! Real life performance for me is very good! No hangs or lags with touchwiz for me.

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by senel View Post
Thank you for your exhaustive post. It gives me pretty good overview over the 8.4 situation and basically confirms my worris. However I`m still tillted towards to buy it.

I read that using 3rd party cases that covers whole back causes back cover deformations. It would be major issue for me if it`s true. Samsung stated that it was SW issue, however many users were complaining about poor plastic used to back cover. So I understand that solution is to OEM cover. Am I right?

And another question: About the year ago Samsung stated that future Exynos 5 power devices (http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/s...os-5-octa-hmp/) will use 8 cores at same time. This was only mention I found since then. What`s the situation now? Can 8.4 use all 8 cores simultaneously?
Yep! The little cores take on smaller tasks while the big ones do the heavy lifting.
 
senel
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 106
Join Date: Apr 2011
Once more, thank you guys for feedback.

Today, I ordered tablet, price was little bit ridiculous in my country - almost $600 for non-LTE variant, lol.

Next problem is cover, Samsung does not sell their`s covers in my country and I dont want to pay another $80 - $120 on ebay for Samsung book cover or flip cover.

Can somebody recommend me good cover? I am thinking about this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baseus-Leath...item4184cb4e0f

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


WowWee Mip – Android Accessory Review – XDA Developer TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about … more

Stream Your Media Files with the New Version of Droid Sync Manager

Android is a Linux-based operating system, but this fact doesn’t put … more

Old but Gold Internet Browser is a Blast from the Past

A Web browser is one of these applications that we can’t live without. We useit … more

Real-World Battery Saving Tips for Android – XDA Developer TV

You need Real-World Battery Saving Tips for your Android device. Our … more