Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,829 Members 42,669 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best Keypad

Tip us?

Long45Legs52
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Red face Best Keypad

Can someone recommend a good keypad for the Tab S,I find the Samsung keypad to small.i installed the Jellybean keypad which was a lot better but could not get the back key to work so I uninstalled it.anyone got any ideas.Thank You.Longlegs

Lo Xa
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Try SwiftKey Tablet on Playstore

Long45Legs52
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Lo Xa thank you installed Swiftkey and its a lot better.Thanks Again.Longlegs

bobiscool07
Old
Thanks Meter 52
The best keyboard for tablet that I would recomend is, thumb kerboard. It has a lot of customizations - like key height, width, and spacing between the keys, keyboard height etc. So if you have time to tincker a bit, I think you'll like that the best

Sent from my SGH-I317M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobiscool07 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pibach
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I vote for TouchPal

RoyBM
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I also vote touchpal.
Swiftkey for me on my 8.4 lagged horribly. Not to mention it was slow opening and closing. I actually think my review was removed because i said the same thing on the play store lol

pibach
Old
Thanks Meter 15
TouchPal because:

1) delete word gesture (from backspace)
2) numbers by gesture (UP from upper row)
3) symbols by gesture (DOWN from lower row).
4) predictive text (works quite nicely for me)
5) sentence based prediction (for frequently used phrases)
6) quick access of speech input
7) quick change of input language

Cons:

It does lack the cut/paste gestures of swype
No uppercase Gesture (but usually you find uppercase in the suggestions)
No auto uppercase for "Du", "Ihr" etc (this is German specific and uppercase depends on the grammar)

jfleegle
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I highly agree with the Thumb Keyboard recommendation. I got Thumb Keyboard 4 free from the Amazon Appstore awhile back and it's the best one for tablets. Especially if you're typing in landscape position. The letters are split into sections to the far left and right, and they have arrow keys and numbers in the middle. It's my Go-to Keyboard for any tablet.

Geilerzucker
Old
(Last edited by Geilerzucker; 12th August 2014 at 03:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Why would anyone vote for Touchpal X?

Since I bought my Tab S 10.5 I'm still evaluating which keyboard suits my needs best. I crossed Touchpal off the list very quickly as it doesnt support landscape mode typing: srsly there is no split option available?!

Swiftkey does many things very well, but the two things I noticed are: I got only two predictions shown in total in thumb mode and there is still to date no chinese language support. Although my wife is using her IPad Air most of the time, it's still nice to have Chinese input available without having to switch to another keyboard. Otherwise the typing experience is lightning fast. Although this might be because I used Swiftkey on mg GS3 for the last two years.

Kii Keyboard fits nearly all of my needs. It just got one very big minus: the suggested word is in the middle of the screen and unreachable for any fingers without breaking them.

I guess my search will continue some more.

I assume some of you got the 8.4 version and don't require smooth thumb handling in landscape mode. 10.5 users may shine some light upon my troubles.

pibach
Old
Thanks Meter 15
you are right, it does depend on the form factor. I have the 8.4 tab and I do type mainly in portrait orientation. I do gesture based input at almost same speed as on a full size physical keyboard. Probably 50% times faster than finger typing on the touchscreen (in landscape) and 2 times faster than thumb typing. So I don't really need a (split) thumb typing mode.