Android L for Galaxy W? In Custom way?

OP ghost141

1st September 2014, 01:24 PM   |  #21  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir mordred

Problem is not a system partition because system partition size(550mb) should be enough because at the moment with latest cm11+gapps i have a 150 mb free space on my system partition so i think our phone can/will handle next android release but we cant know at the moment so im not sure

But main problem is small cache partition
İt is just 60 mb
For that reason we are using some dirty workarounds(in my opinion) like this https://github.com/arco/android_devi...cd2202a9f629f3 with that workaround apps is using /data partition instead of /cache partition for dalvik-caching operations
Why im saying this is dirty workaround? Because i think each operation should use its own partition

Repartition is a real fix for that kind of problems but this way is a very dangerous and have brick risk

İm planning to make some experiments like this:
-With fdisk im planning to split out my internat sdcard(1.7 GB ,mmcblk0p28) to 2 new partitions(first partition will be mmcblk0p28 and have 1.3 GB size and second partition will be mmcblk0p29 and have 400 MB size)
Then we will use mmcblk0p29 as cache partition
-For that firstly we need to format the partition as ext4(because internal sd is vfat but cache partition must be ext4 fs type formatted)
-After converting from vfat to ext4 of new mmcblk0p29 partition, we will change cache partition from mmcblk0p16 to 29 through fstab.qcom
-and last thing we need to do is removing/disabling previous workaround so we will change the following build.prop line dalvik.vm.dexopt-data-only=1 to dalvik.vm.dexopt-data-only=0

This is the cleanest way i think because we arent touching to main partitions(system,data and cache)
We just need to split it internal sd(1.7 GB)

Regards

Dalvik cache is stored in /data, no? The 60Mb cache is used for running apps and is dynamically allocated as needed.

Repartition is probably the only way to go to ensure enough space though for the latest GApps, even a mini version. L ROMs themselves might be over 300 Mb before GApps.
1st September 2014, 05:29 PM   |  #22  
mmcblk0p15
Thanks Meter: 538

502 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r25txe

Dalvik cache is stored in /data, no? The 60Mb cache is used for running apps and is dynamically allocated as needed.

Repartition is probably the only way to go to ensure enough space though for the latest GApps, even a mini version. L ROMs themselves might be over 300 Mb before GApps.

our /cache partition is too small(its just 60 mb and its designed for GB) so it cant hold the all dalvik-cache on newer android versions

because of that we are using some dalvik hacks like this https://github.com/arco/android_devi...cd2202a9f629f3

so dalvik-cache is stored on /data partition due to very small /cache partition(60 mb)

if you dont believe then try to change that line(delete or change 1 to 0) in build.prop

you will face bootloop
Last edited by sir mordred; 1st September 2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo fix
The Following User Says Thank You to sir mordred For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 05:33 PM   |  #23  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 55

259 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir mordred

our /cache partition is too small(its just 60 mb and its designed for GB) so it cant hold the all dalvik-cache on newer android versions

because of that we are using some dalvik hacks like this https://github.com/arco/android_devi...cd2202a9f629f3

so dalvik-cache is stored on /data partition due to very small /cache partition(60 mb)

if you dont believe then try to change that line(delete or change 1 to 0) in build.prop

you will face bootloop

Back on the previous topic, he also said that the current partition tables are not optimal which was also the reason of me halflazily suggesting to look at other 4GB devices' ones, I believe. I am not sure if it is possible, but it would be beneficial to create a better allocation.
30th September 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 4

29 posts
More
Probably someone saw this, CM11 xperia legacy changed system partition from 400MB to 450MB and cache too.

I hope this help in some way

Maybe user mikeioannina can help with something, link

Regards
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread