Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,868 Members 42,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Everyone with computer knowledge help

Tip us?

MayB4ck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default [Q] Everyone with computer knowledge help

I have recently built myself a new gaming computer and I installed Windows 8.1 on it. Today, I wanted to dual boot Ubuntu over Windows. So, the regular, downloaded Ubuntu, got a USB and made it bootable with the "universal usb installer" which i downloaded from some site pendrivelinux. I disabled UEFI Secure boot and fast-boot but it still won't show the boot menu to choose the OS. Anyone help here?

Specs:

Intel Core i7-4770k not overclocked
8 GB DDR3 CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x4GB 1600MHZ
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 OC
MSi Z87-GD65 GAMING MOTHERBOARD
CORSAIR AX860W POWER SUPPLY

I think it should run all OS really smooth, but I really don't know how to fix this.
DEVICES

Samsung Galaxy W GT-i8150 || DarkCM 4.4.4 || K^Kernel 390mb RAM. || @1.6GHz SmartassV2 + BFQ and a motherload of tweaks = ~20 FPS Playable heavy games (Real Racing 3)

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-i9195 || Stock ROM 4.2.2 || No custom kernels/tweaks

dec0der
Old
Thanks Meter 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayB4ck View Post
I have recently built myself a new gaming computer and I installed Windows 8.1 on it. Today, I wanted to dual boot Ubuntu over Windows. So, the regular, downloaded Ubuntu, got a USB and made it bootable with the "universal usb installer" which i downloaded from some site pendrivelinux. I disabled UEFI Secure boot and fast-boot but it still won't show the boot menu to choose the OS. Anyone help here?

Specs:

Intel Core i7-4770k not overclocked
8 GB DDR3 CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x4GB 1600MHZ
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 OC
MSi Z87-GD65 GAMING MOTHERBOARD
CORSAIR AX860W POWER SUPPLY

I think it should run all OS really smooth, but I really don't know how to fix this.

Visit HERE and read 7. Boot Repair

Quote:
when I re-booted it did not give me the option to select which OS I wanted to use it just loads windows.
Quote:
Go to UEFI settings once again... find UEFI Boot options there... you'll see Windows Boot Loader and Linux Boot Loader.... change the order to put Linux Boot Loader on the top. It should solve the issue.
Samsung Galaxy W GT-I8150 running [KK][4.4.4][KTU84P] CyanogenMod 11.0 (UNOFFICIAL) build-20140831

"What's the point of having a smartphone if you turn off every function that makes it smart? "

[THEMED/ CUSTOM][CM11.0]MMS.APK w/ Speech bubbles, Holo, Emoji, Inverted, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to dec0der For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MayB4ck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec0der View Post
Visit HERE and read 7. Boot Repair
Thanks mate, that seems to fix it
DEVICES

Samsung Galaxy W GT-i8150 || DarkCM 4.4.4 || K^Kernel 390mb RAM. || @1.6GHz SmartassV2 + BFQ and a motherload of tweaks = ~20 FPS Playable heavy games (Real Racing 3)

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-i9195 || Stock ROM 4.2.2 || No custom kernels/tweaks
The Following User Says Thank You to MayB4ck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]