Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 51,226 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Failed to flash ROM, SGW doesn't boot

Tip us?

FrankyDroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Failed to flash ROM, SGW doesn't boot

Hi everybody,

sorry for bothering you, but I think I might need some help.

I tried to flash ParanoidAndroid (first try ever to flash a smartphone) but failed 'somehow'.

Initial steps to create the problem
  1. Initial Status: Gingerbread on a Galaxy W; Pretty old and pretty messed up
  2. Download the update.zip to root the smartphone => Becoming root worked!
  3. Download ParanoidAndroid
  4. Download Clockwork Recovery
  5. Created backups using Titanium Backup as root.
  6. Copied ParanoidAndroid to the GalaxyWs internal sd card (yes, this was my mistake)
  7. Wipe cach partition => It said, it worked, I don't know if it did
  8. Rebooted phone => all fine
  9. Rebooted into recovery mode applied update from SD-Card=> Selected ParanoidAndroid.zip => ErrorMessage (I think it was something like file corrupt, sorry I'm not sure about the specific words, but it sounded like this is no updatefile or this file is not a valid zip file.

Status of the problem
  1. Bootup shows Samsung Logo
  2. Bootup than shows GalaxyW-Screen Logo
  3. Bootup than shows the android recovery symbol OR directly reboots
  4. When trying to open the recovery menu, every second time I get the message "Updating (...) Installing MultiCSC... Can't access /system/csc/DBT/system"
  5. If opening recovery menu works, I can only acces the internal storage of the galaxy to install an update (tried the paranoidandroid several times, it doesn't work)
  6. When plugging in the galaxy w to my USB port, I don't get an USB storage shown on my 2 laptops (1 "Windows 7", 1 "Ubuntu 14.0?" )
  7. neither odin (4.43) nor Heimdall are able to flash any files.

So, simple question, what can I do next?
-I cannot copy clockworkmod to my smartphone
-I don't know if I can easily overwrite the kernel or the bootloader.

I searched the forum but didn't find a clear solution, so sorry if this special configuration was already asked.

Thanks for your help and best regards

FrankyDroid

MayB4ck
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyDroid View Post
[*]Rebooted into recovery mode applied update from SD-Card=> Selected ParanoidAndroid.zip => ErrorMessage (I think it was something like file corrupt, sorry I'm not sure about the specific words, but it sounded like this is no updatefile or this file is not a valid zip file.

Your ROM's download has been cut either by a connection issue or by you, That is why I always have a backup rom in my SD Card. Also For kitkat, make sure you got CWM 6.0.4.5 or higher. Personally i use PhilZ Touch Recovery. It is simple enough for me. And odin recognizes your phone only in download mode. So make sure you go to download mode then plug the phone in. And also make sure while working with odin, unplug all USBs and other phones
DEVICES

Samsung Galaxy W GT-i8150 || DarkCM 4.4.4 || K^Kernel 390mb RAM. || @1.6GHz SmartassV2 + BFQ and a motherload of tweaks = ~20 FPS Playable heavy games (Real Racing 3)

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-i9195 || Stock ROM 4.2.2 || No custom kernels/tweaks

FrankyDroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hey MayB4ck,

thank you for the tips, I finally got it running Using Philz Touch Recovery. Works like hell

Best regards

FrankyDroid