Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,504 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy Y SCH-i509 (China): can't write in /system/app

Tip us?

`CuiZinieR
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Samsung Galaxy Y SCH-i509 (China): can't write in /system/app

Hi,

I've a Chinese version of the Samsung Galaxy Y SCH-i509 that doesn't come with any Google app/services/framework as it's always the case with Chinese versions of Android. My goal was to install these Google app/services/framework so here's what I tried:

I transfer via USB the Google Installer (谷歌应用下载器) apk to the SD card and installed it. Via the Google Installer, I install Gmail and Play store. You get the message that the Google Service Framework needs to be installed but the installation fails.

I manually transfer via USB the GoogleServicesFramework apk to the SD card and try to copy/paste it via ES File Explorer to /system/app but it fails, saying "unable to write the source file".

I root the phone following this tutorial. I check that the phone is rooted via RootValidator: OK.
I install the mount /system (rw /ro) apk and select "Mount r/w"
In ES File Explorer, I check the properties of the folder /system/app: the folder is "Writable".
I try to copy/paste the GoogleServicesFramework apk via ES File Explorer to /system/app but it fails, saying "unable to write the source file".
I don't understand why.

At this point, I'm thinking to look for a custom ROM to install but can't find any on Internet for my model of phone.
I also can't find the Chinese stock ROM.
The related information I found about this phone is always for Indonesian or Indian versions, not for the Chinese one.

Can someone help me to achieve what I want, i.e being able to write in /system/app in order to copy/paste the GoogleServicesFramework apk? Or suggesting me an English custom ROM?

Deopolos14
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Just flash gapps via cwm

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

And gapps are here https://code.google.com/p/gingerdx/d...20-signed.zip&
If I Help You Please Hit The Thanks Button

mattyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by `CuiZinieR View Post
Hi,

I've a Chinese version of the Samsung Galaxy Y SCH-i509 that doesn't come with any Google app/services/framework as it's always the case with Chinese versions of Android. My goal was to install these Google app/services/framework so here's what I tried:

I transfer via USB the Google Installer (谷歌应用下载器) apk to the SD card and installed it. Via the Google Installer, I install Gmail and Play store. You get the message that the Google Service Framework needs to be installed but the installation fails.

I manually transfer via USB the GoogleServicesFramework apk to the SD card and try to copy/paste it via ES File Explorer to /system/app but it fails, saying "unable to write the source file".

I root the phone following this tutorial. I check that the phone is rooted via RootValidator: OK.
I install the mount /system (rw /ro) apk and select "Mount r/w"
In ES File Explorer, I check the properties of the folder /system/app: the folder is "Writable".
I try to copy/paste the GoogleServicesFramework apk via ES File Explorer to /system/app but it fails, saying "unable to write the source file".
I don't understand why.

At this point, I'm thinking to look for a custom ROM to install but can't find any on Internet for my model of phone.
I also can't find the Chinese stock ROM.
The related information I found about this phone is always for Indonesian or Indian versions, not for the Chinese one.

Can someone help me to achieve what I want, i.e being able to write in /system/app in order to copy/paste the GoogleServicesFramework apk? Or suggesting me an English custom ROM?
In ES under Tools have you turned on Root Explorer?

`CuiZinieR
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your answers, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deopolos14 View Post
Just flash gapps via cwm

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

And gapps are here
Thanks for the link to all the Google APPS, very useful!

Flashing through CWM sounds like a good idea. However, I don't know how to install CWM and need your advise. I installed the ROM Manager app on the phone. When I launch it for the 1st time, it asks me to install CWM. But at the "Confirm Phone Model" step, the app proposes me a list of phones but not mine. So I click on "Device Not Listed Above" under "Unsupported Device" and I get the message "SCH-i509 does not have an officially supported ClockworkMod Recovery yet. Have you installed a ClockworkMod based recovery manually?". I click "No" and get the message "Sorry! Until ClockworkMod recovery is available, ROM Manager will not work with SCH-i509!"
Is there another way for me to install CWM Recovery? If yes, can you advise me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyman View Post
In ES under Tools have you turned on Root Explorer?
Actually I didn't know this feature! So I turned it on and here's the results:
  • The rights shown on the list view are "drwxr-xr-x"
  • When I click on Properties, the Owner, Group and Other have Read and Execute rights but only Owner has Write right. When I tick Write rights for Group and Other, I get the message "Sorry operation failed". The Owner and Group is "root".
Any advise regarding the info provided?

marcussmith2626
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2338
Quote:
Originally Posted by `CuiZinieR View Post
Thanks for your answers, much appreciated.

Thanks for the link to all the Google APPS, very useful!

Flashing through CWM sounds like a good idea. However, I don't know how to install CWM and need your advise. I installed the ROM Manager app on the phone. When I launch it for the 1st time, it asks me to install CWM. But at the "Confirm Phone Model" step, the app proposes me a list of phones but not mine. So I click on "Device Not Listed Above" under "Unsupported Device" and I get the message "SCH-i509 does not have an officially supported ClockworkMod Recovery yet. Have you installed a ClockworkMod based recovery manually?". I click "No" and get the message "Sorry! Until ClockworkMod recovery is available, ROM Manager will not work with SCH-i509!"
Is there another way for me to install CWM Recovery? If yes, can you advise me?
cwm for SCH-i509
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27550414/i5...covery-cwm.tar

flash via odin (I presume place in pda)
Flash at own risk

My Work And Threads For Galaxy Y GT-S5360

My PM is not a Question & Answer thread - Dont treat it as such!