Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Some unknown application is using a lot of packet data

Tip us?

keval5531
Old
(Last edited by keval5531; 27th June 2014 at 06:33 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Some unknown application is using a lot of packet data

My Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360 has Android version: 2.3.6. My phone isn't rooted.

Recently some unknown app is using my 2G packet data mysteriously. I am on a cheap internet plan, so this uses up good percentage of my data; though I can ignore it. But my phone becomes hot (~35 C) and obviously battery gets used up. The mysterious usage eats up data ranging between 4-20 MBs. I am unsure if it is random or just that I am lucky to notice this and stop it before it goes SPARTA.

To find out, I tried out various usage monitoring apps, but that none helped to find out which app uses the data. The overall usage in the monitoring app accounts to the used sum, but no signs of what app it is.

I just have Google account(with sync off for Picasa albums) and WhatsApp listed in my Accounts and sync settings. Both have been ON since the day I have this phone, but this thing is happening recently, so I cannot blame them. Also, I do not have much that'd get synced and use this lot of data.

I have disabled auto update of my phone and the Play Store apps.
Due to low internal memory, I have uninstalled all of the default app's(i.e Google Map, Talk, Mail etc) updates except Play Store.

For having a clear idea I will list down the apps whose services are ON on my phone:

• WhatsApp
  • Rocket Player - com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer
  • Assistant - com.speaktoit.assistant
  • Battery Solo Widget - net.maicas.android.batterys
  • Notification Toggle - de.j4velin.notificationToggle
  • DRM Content - com.sec.android.provider.drm
  • Software Update - com.wssyncmldm
  • Email - com.andoid.email - I do not use this. Never used it.
  • Google Services (2 processes and 3 services) - Cloud-to-Device Messaging service, NetworkLocationService, Google Message Service.
  • Messaging
  • SnsService
  • Time
  • SyncmlDS - com.smlds
  • Maps * 2 (dunno why, but I see 2)
  • Software update - com.sec.android.fotaclient
  • Swype
I had linked all the possible apps to their Play Store page for your convenience to know about the app if in case you didn't, the system didn't allow me to, it says I need minimum 10 posts, upon which I do agree.

I had a thought if the counter on my service provider's side is bugged, but I have seen the uplink and downlink symbols continuously lighted, I switch on my packet data and find a crazy amount of data getting accounted in my usage.

PS: I stay in Mumbai, India. I am on Aircel's GSM network.

Will be thankful if you can help me find a solution to this problem. I have tried to provide most the information that I thought would be helpful, please ask if you need more information.
Thanks for reading such big post. :P

marcussmith2626
Old
(Last edited by marcussmith2626; 27th June 2014 at 07:18 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2338
none of those apps listed (if downloaded from the playstore) should cause large ammounts of data usage

Whatsapp out of all of them would most likely be the largest

If your phone is hot its most likey an app is running all the time stopping the phone from going to sleep (as long as you havent got the phone on charge as this will also stop phone sleeping)

you can use this app to see what app is stopping the phone from sleeping
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ector&hl=en_GB

All you can do is flash stock rom via odin and then re-test if you feel you have a rouge app

My Work And Threads For Galaxy Y GT-S5360

My PM is not a Question & Answer thread - Dont treat it as such!