Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,072 Members 47,472 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S5 Active - Options?

Tip us?

BuLLitz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default S5 Active - Options?

I hope this is the right place for this post. I have yet to do one in the right place.

I recently purchased an S5 Active from ATT. When I purchased it, I got the Gear 2 Neo for only $99.
I AM STEAMED that the sales person did not tell me that the S5 Active is not really compatible with the Gear 2.

When I go into the Gear Manager on my S5 Active, under Utilities category, there are only 4 applications available to me.
It was 3, but they just added a new one. 2 of my top reasons why I wanted the Gear are not available in the Gear Manager.

When I install the Gear Manager on my wife's S5, there are more Utility applications in HER Gear Manager than I want to count.

Do I have any options other than to wait and HOPE that Samsung pulls their heads out of their lower orifices???
Is there a way to trick the Gear Manager into not knowing that I have the Active model?
Is there another Gear Manager that I can use that would not block the apps?

adrock74
Old
Thanks Meter 64
What apps are you wanting? My neo works great with my active. Though i do hope for some developers to open it up
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
Samsung Galaxy SII/AoCp 6.1 w/AJK 4.9
Samsung Galaxy SIII-LS 4.4.2/KT kernel
Samsung focus/DFT 7.8
Nook HD/ 10.1
Kindle fire 2/PAC-ROM KK(gave to my dad)
Microsoft Surface 2

BuLLitz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock74 View Post
What apps are you wanting? My neo works great with my active. Though i do hope for some developers to open it up
Backcountry Navigator is available on my wifes S5, but not on my Active.
Sleep As Android is another although I coundn't find that on either the regular S5 or the Active...
http://challengepost.com/software/sl...id-gear-add-on

Apparently, there is a whole world of stuff I am missing out on...

BuLLitz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLLitz View Post
Backcountry Navigator is available on my wifes S5, but not on my Active.
Sleep As Android is another although I coundn't find that on either the regular S5 or the Active...
http://challengepost.com/software/sl...id-gear-add-on

Apparently, there is a whole world of stuff I am missing out on...
PS: According to the support desk for BackCountry Navigator, it is not the developers holding back items for the S5 Active.
It is Samsung holding back.

lordmorphous
Old
Thanks Meter 393
I rooted my active and changed the build.prop to identify my device as a regular s5. I have all the apps now and no down side that I've noticed yet.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII on AT&T having lost my IMEI only once....so far...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lordmorphous For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BuLLitz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorphous View Post
I rooted my active and changed the build.prop to identify my device as a regular s5. I have all the apps now and no down side that I've noticed yet.
Thanks for the info. Yes! There is way!
I will research how to that and see what I can find.
Thanks again.

lordmorphous
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLLitz View Post
Thanks for the info. Yes! There is way!
I will research how to that and see what I can find.
Thanks again.
Once rooted, use a root enabled file explorer (I like Root Explorer), open up /system/build.prop, look for the line ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G870A and change to ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G900A
Reboot, and voila! Samsung Apps thinks your phone is an AT&T model S5.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII on AT&T having lost my IMEI only once....so far...
The Following User Says Thank You to lordmorphous For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BuLLitz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorphous View Post
Once rooted, use a root enabled file explorer (I like Root Explorer), open up /system/build.prop, look for the line ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G870A and change to ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G900A
Reboot, and voila! Samsung Apps thinks your phone is an AT&T model S5.
I finally got up the nerve to do this.

I now have access to all of the same apps in the gear store that my wife does!

Thank you thank you thank you

lordmorphous
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Glad you got it working....Just don't update your phone when AT&T pushes any out. There is a small update going around that if you install, breaks root and Towelroot won't work.