T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more
Post Reply

Wanting to buy Gear 2 Neo then root it

OP kennethk1

12th August 2014, 05:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
36 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Hello xda, I really enjoy looking at the Gear 2 Neo so think i'll buy one, however the only Samsung device in our household is a Galaxy s3, could I pair it to that and then proceed to rooting the gear 2 neo? The s3 does have a bad imei but thats beside the point.

Once I have a custom rom the gear 2 neo from my understanding all we can do is connect it via bluetooth but I should be able to all the fancy stuff like Android wear has? Such as incoming calls, texting friends etc...I was also wondering if the IR blaster would still work after root?

Cheers for answering these questions.

Oh I'll be pairing it with a lg g2 after root, I may end up getting a s5 after though so would going to be stock rom be a simple process?
12th August 2014, 01:06 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethk1

Hello xda, I really enjoy looking at the Gear 2 Neo so think i'll buy one, however the only Samsung device in our household is a Galaxy s3, could I pair it to that and then proceed to rooting the gear 2 neo? The s3 does have a bad imei but thats beside the point.

Once I have a custom rom the gear 2 neo from my understanding all we can do is connect it via bluetooth but I should be able to all the fancy stuff like Android wear has? Such as incoming calls, texting friends etc...I was also wondering if the IR blaster would still work after root?

Cheers for answering these questions.

Oh I'll be pairing it with a lg g2 after root, I may end up getting a s5 after though so would going to be stock rom be a simple process?

Hi, I have a gear 2 neo and it is paired to my galaxy s3 and all functions work perfectly.
You mentioned it being able to do all the fancy stuff that android wear does after a custom rom is installed?
You can do the things you listed like incoming calls and texting friends without rooting your gear 2 neo, those functions work on stock ROM so essentially there would be no need to put a custom ROM on your watch

Hope this helps
12th August 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
36 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjharrison

Hi, I have a gear 2 neo and it is paired to my galaxy s3 and all functions work perfectly.
You mentioned it being able to do all the fancy stuff that android wear does after a custom rom is installed?
You can do the things you listed like incoming calls and texting friends without rooting your gear 2 neo, those functions work on stock ROM so essentially there would be no need to put a custom ROM on your watch

Hope this helps

Sorry if you misunderstood, I'll be pairing this device to a lg g2, I just wanted to know if I could pair it with a s3 then proceed to rooting the neo 2 so it can work with my g2.
12th August 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethk1

Sorry if you misunderstood, I'll be pairing this device to a lg g2, I just wanted to know if I could pair it with a s3 then proceed to rooting the neo 2 so it can work with my g2.

Hi sorry my mistake, as to my understanding you don't need to root your watch to achieve this, you just need to root your phone (LG) here is a link for you to follow, proceed at your own risk however

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2723862

Hope this helps
12th August 2014, 07:49 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
36 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjharrison

Hi sorry my mistake, as to my understanding you don't need to root your watch to achieve this, you just need to root your phone (LG) here is a link for you to follow, proceed at your own risk however

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2723862

Hope this helps

So any android device can be rooted to pair with the gear 2 neo?

I do better learning by video so hopefully I can find some guys who have done it on youtube?
13th August 2014, 08:35 AM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Smile Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethk1

So any android device can be rooted to pair with the gear 2 neo?

I do better learning by video so hopefully I can find some guys who have done it on youtube?

Hi, I'm assuming so yes, I previously put a custom ROM on my GS3 and manager to get Gear Manager back onto my phone, however it wouldn't connect it would say its connecting and do nothing so I reverted back to stock firmware, however since then if you look on the link I provided there is a fix for the problem I had.

However, like most things I'd say its hit and miss, what works for one person might not work for the other. Another thing I should have mentioned was that using the steps in the link above not all functions of the watch may work. If you read through the comments I'm sure somewhere people are saying what's working and what is not.

Hope you manage to get what you want done!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sjharrison For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes