FORUMS

Intel & Micron Announce “Revolutionary” Storage Tech

Intel & Micron have announced 3D Xpoint technology—”the … more

Google Now Interfaces With Third-Party Messaging Apps

Google has announced that Ok Google voice commands can now be used to send … more

Make Your Lockscreen More Productive With Widgets

Are you running Android Lollipop? Do you miss the ability to add widgets to your lock … more

Moto X Style, Moto X Play and Moto G Forums Are Here!

The latest family members of the new generation of Motorola devices are … more

Figuring out Samsung Accesory Protocol internals

48 posts
Thanks Meter: 38
 
By javispedro, Member on 24th August 2014, 08:08 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
29th May 2015, 09:45 PM |#21  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
I'm still alive too
sapd has been moved to https://git.javispedro.com/cgit/sapd.git/ .

I actually started cleaning it a bit , but so far i only moved the sailfish specific parts into an external library.
I'm planning to get a Gear S via a promotion which means that the project might get a bit more steam from my part.

The crypto/DRM "problem" is still unsolved (meaning: the only way to actually use this publicly is by using samsung's binary). I've tried putting some pressure on Samsung from the Tizen side to actually open up SAP, but silence has been the only answer so far...
Last edited by javispedro; 29th May 2015 at 09:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
29th May 2015, 10:48 PM |#22  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by javispedro

I'm still alive too .


Quote:
Originally Posted by javispedro

I'm planning to get a Gear S via a promotion which means that the project might get a bit more steam from my part.

(off-topic)
Is sapd really needed for the gear s? I thought that a watch-phone would be best used as standalone (or with a bluetooth earphone like the "HTC mini+", "Sony BRH10" or "Samsung HM5100" although of those only the samsung would work with the watch AFAICT).
I say this because I've been pondering getting a gear S myself now that there is some traction in XDA to port some android to it after the success with the gear2 and android wear . In the end I will pass as I can't justify such expense only for toying (the cheapest one I have been able to find "new" is 269EUR at amazon.de, and second-hand is not really cheaper than that -- they go for around 250EUR).
If (and it is a big IF) they can port CM11 to the gear S, a sailfish port to it could be doable ... and that would be really interesting
(end off-topic)
29th May 2015, 11:06 PM |#23  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica

Is sapd really needed for the gear s? I thought that a watch-phone would be best used as standalone (or with a bluetooth earphone like the "HTC mini+", "Sony BRH10" or "Samsung HM5100" although of those only the samsung would work with the watch AFAICT).

From what I've been able to see so far, it is still basically a Gear 2 with a larger screen, with a dialer that can actually place calls and programs that can access the web, either via direct 3G or a "new" IP bridge mode in SAP (which I assume is going to be trivial to implement once I get my hands on it).
Most of the builtin software is pretty much the same. One still cannot install programs on it without sap (or sdb). I also assume synchronization of files (voice memos, etc.) still requires it.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out you cannot set time/date/timezone from the watch itself, as in Gear 2 (fortunately, that is something I already know how to do via sapd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica

I say this because I've been pondering getting a gear S myself now that there is some traction in XDA to port some android to it after the success with the gear2 and android wear . In the end I will pass as I can't justify such expense only for toying (the cheapest one I have been able to find "new" is 269EUR at amazon.de, and second-hand is not really cheaper than that -- they go for around 250EUR).
If (and it is a big IF) they can port CM11 to the gear S, a sailfish port to it could be doable ... and that would be really interesting
(end off-topic)

Unsurprisingly I guess, my thoughts are more or less around the same lines.

Even if the stock Sailfish interface doesn't work at all, I could probably make one for the Gear (reusing all the Sailfish middleware) much easier than on top of the Samsung middleware.
29th May 2015, 11:31 PM |#24  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by javispedro

From what I've been able to see so far, it is still basically a Gear 2 with a larger screen, with a dialer that can actually place calls and programs that can access the web, either via direct 3G or a "new" IP bridge mode in SAP (which I assume is going to be trivial to implement once I get my hands on it).

But, isn't tizen too limited? I've my gear with the android ROM (null) just for the hackability (able to put new binaries, able to connect to the internet using bluetooth, install programs from the watch using f-droid, etc). With that it is usable as a watch (alas, without notifications, but my life is not that interesting so that I need them in the watch )

Quote:
Originally Posted by javispedro

Unsurprisingly I guess, my thoughts are more or less around the same lines.
Even if the stock Sailfish interface doesn't work at all, I could probably make one for the Gear (reusing all the Sailfish middleware) much easier than on top of the Samsung middleware.

About porting CM11 to the gear S, it seems possible, but the TODO list that biktor_gj posted is somewhat daunting (i mean this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8&postcount=95).

About the interface: I've been happy using nova launcher in the gear with standard android apps (frequently used: coolreader, narau, kana drill, kanji draw, opera classic, 2048, f-droid, vlc, ghost commander, nectroid, opensudoku, urecord...). My bet is that the sailfish interface "as is" would be usable, even if not ideal.

EDIT: Re-reading my post,it sounds too pessimistic. I'm not. I'm hopeful on the viability of a port. The point I was trying to do is that it will be a lot of work, even a little more than the effort required for the wear port to the gear2. And it is difficult to have a developer commit as much time as biktor (I'm really impressed by his commitment), so it will be a long road ahead. If only it was a little cheaper (and had a camera, which is my other grip with the gear s)...
Last edited by Antartica; 30th May 2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Add the edit part
30th May 2015, 10:55 AM |#25  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica

javispedro had the sources in gitorius, but they are not there anymore (surely related to gitlab buying gitorius).

I attach a tarball with javispedro sources as of 19 October 2014.

Note that it lacks the files implementing the crypto, so just porting it is not enough to be able to communicate to the gear. OTOH, I know that there are some differences in the protocol between the Android Gear1 and the Tizen Gear2 (if the gear1 has been updated to Tizen, it uses the same protocol as gear2). Specifically, to be able to communicate with both watches, the gear manager package has both gear manager 1.7.x and gear manager 2.x. javispedro's code implements the gear 2 protocol.

Personally, I have my port on hold (I have problems with bluetooth in my phone, so there is no point in porting sapd right now as I would not be able to use it).

Gear 1 was originally called Galaxy Gear, it had android. But Samsung gave an update to Tizen, and now it's able to run it.
I simply don't care about the protocol of communications Phone<->Android Gear, as the watch can run what I want already.
The Tizen seems better in terms of battery life (and developing a communication app for WP for tizen watches seems more future proof).
Thanks for a fast reply, anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javispedro

I'm still alive too
sapd has been moved to https://git.javispedro.com/cgit/sapd.git/ .

I actually started cleaning it a bit , but so far i only moved the sailfish specific parts into an external library.
I'm planning to get a Gear S via a promotion which means that the project might get a bit more steam from my part.

The crypto/DRM "problem" is still unsolved (meaning: the only way to actually use this publicly is by using samsung's binary). I've tried putting some pressure on Samsung from the Tizen side to actually open up SAP, but silence has been the only answer so far...

Moving sailfish specific parts into external library seems like a lot of help for me!
BTW, what is the exact name of the binary we are speaking here about?
Anyways, thanks for fast reply, guys!
30th May 2015, 03:56 PM |#26  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duobix

BTW, what is the exact name of the binary we are speaking here about?

libwsm.so
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes