Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Gear 2 Access to Bluetooth Stack in Tizen SDK UNBLOCKED!

OP ScDoc8

16th August 2014, 11:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

11 posts
UPDATED 8/20/14
Some minor changes were made to the process to get the Bluetooth API available. I confrmed this after re-flashing my device.

I have sucessfully unblocked access to the bluetooth stack on the Tizen Wearable SDK. This feature was removed from the wearable SDK and I have discovered how to re-enable this. This will allow you to write apps that can communicate with any available bluetooth device using the Tizen Wearable SDK.

1. Download this file from tizens website - download.tizen.org/releases/2.2.1/latest/repos/tizen-main/armv7l/packages/armv7l/wrt-plugins-tizen-0.4.80-1.1.armv7l.rpm

2. From a command prompt cd into your folder where sdb.exe is kept. (ie. tizen/tools/ )

3. Enter command ./sdb root on to put gear 2 into root mode.

4. Next push downloaded file above onto your gear. (ie. ./sdb push ~/Downloads/wrt-plugins-tizen-0.4.80-1.1.armv7l.rpm /tmp/ )
(There is a space between the tizen file and the /tmp/ which places the file into the tmp folder on the gear 2)

5. Shell into your gear 2. (ie. ./sdb shell )

6. At the command prompt, make the file system writable. (ie. mount -o remount,rw / )

7. Change to the tmp directory and install the rpm file. (ie. cd tmp ) (ie. rpm -i --force --nodeps --replacefiles wrt-plugins-tizen-0.4.80-1.1.armv7l.rpm

8. If successful you should have NO OUTPUT and only a new command prompt.

9. Type reboot on the command prompt on the gear 2 and it restarts.

10. Start the Wear IDE and try to use the Bluetooth API Calls and it should work.

Below is a sample Wear App

var adapter = tizen.bluetooth.getDefaultAdapter();
console.log(adapter.address);

Before this would result in a null listing on the console, but now you should have the bluetooth address in the console. I have verified discovery works and other Bluetooth functions.

Happy Building!!
Last edited by ScDoc8; 21st August 2014 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Updated
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ScDoc8 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2014, 10:12 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 20

285 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScDoc8

I have sucessfully unblocked access to the bluetooth stack on the Tizen Wearable SDK. This feature was removed from the wearable SDK and I have discovered how to re-enable this. This will allow you to write apps that can communicate with any available bluetooth device using the Tizen Wearable SDK.

You must do this in Ubuntu 12.04 as the building tools GBS and Gerritt work only with Linux.

Step 1 - Download the Developer Tools for Tizen including Gerritt Build System (GBS) and Gerritt. Register for Gerritt access on Tizens webpage and configure your computer to build rpm packages.

Step 2 - Download the wrt-plugins-tizen.git package from gerritt under framework and build it successfully on your computer.

Step 3 - Make sure your gear 2 is rooted and using sdb, push the recently compiled wrt-plugins-tizen.rpm onto a folder on the gear 2.

Step 4 - Using sdb, login to the shell on the gear 2. (ex: ./sdb shell)

Step 5 - CD to the folder with the new rpm wrt-plugins-tizen.rpm file is located.

Step 6 - Change the filesystem on the gear to read/write from read only. Ex: Sh$ mount -o remount,rw /

Step 7 - Install the wrt-plugins-tizen.rpm over the already installed version. Ex: Sh$ rpm -ivh wrt-plugins-tizen.rpm -nodeps --force

Step 8 - Restart your Gear 2 and you should be able to call the methods and functions for Bluetooth in the Tizen
(Ex: var adapter = tizen.bluetooth.getDefaultAdapter();
console.log(adapter.address);

Before this would result in a null listing on the console, but now you should have the bluetooth address in the console. I have verified discovery works and other Bluetooth functions.

Happy Building!!

Hi there,

Does that mean that BT communication with an iPhone (apart from the BT hands free profile) may indeed be possible?
17th August 2014, 01:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidi

Hi there,

Does that mean that BT communication with an iPhone (apart from the BT hands free profile) may indeed be possible?

Yes, it seems possible and I am working on this now.
17th August 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #4  

285 posts
Dude, I wanna give you a hug!
Share some info whenever you have smth new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
18th August 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 55

337 posts
More
Can you post the compiled wrt-plugins-tizen.rpm file?
18th August 2014, 12:38 PM   |  #6  

285 posts
I am checking this thread every hour. Should I consult a shrink?

18th August 2014, 01:55 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,981

1,513 posts
Donate to Me
More
Let me understand... You need this for....?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
18th August 2014, 02:07 PM   |  #8  
Flag Bunbury-Western Australia
Thanks Meter: 952

2,384 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin1980

I'm gonna look into my iPhone I've never tried with my gears I can't stand apple. I only have my iPhone to stay up to date with the jailbreaking scene
18th August 2014, 02:23 PM   |  #9  

285 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin1980

Skin, my man, could this result in a ROM with direct control over BT profiles? In that case, direct connection between Gear and iPhone could be possible.

BT hands free profile is already supported by the iPhone. Enabling other profiles on the watch could maybe lead to enabling notifications.

18th August 2014, 02:36 PM   |  #10  
Flag Bunbury-Western Australia
Thanks Meter: 952

2,384 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidi

Skin, my man, could this result in a ROM with direct control over BT profiles? In that case, direct connection between Gear and iPhone could be possible.

BT hands free profile is already supported by the iPhone. Enabling other profiles on the watch could maybe lead to enabling notifications.

I've got these installed I'm gonna try that bt profile unlocking and five that a whirl. I see there's no gear related apps in Cydia. Appstore or for the gear on galaxy app store

Last edited by gav83collins; 18th August 2014 at 02:41 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread