Getting Tasker to work with the Gear 2

Search This thread

Medox2

Jul 17, 2014
gear2_tasker.jpg

After a lot of troubleshooting, a rom reinstallation and a couple of workarounds, I can now finally start Tasker tasks, from my Gear 2 Neo, on my Galaxy S3, which in turn can control almost anything on the phone itself, my laptops or other devices! :) Before this, I was only able to send notifications from Tasker to the Gear 2, which is also cool but controlling your smartphone with your smartwatch gives you endless possibilities!

Back to the tutorial. There are two ways to get this working:

1. On Samsung devices with a stock rom (currently 17 devices)

Samsung Galaxy S5
    Galaxy Grand 2
    Galaxy Note 3
    Galaxy Note 3 Neo
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy S4
    Galaxy S3
    Galaxy S4 Zoom
    Galaxy S4 Active
    Galaxy S4 mini
    Galaxy Mega 6.3
    Galaxy Mega 5.8
    Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)
    Galaxy NotePRO (12.2)
    Galaxy TabPRO (12.2/10.1/8.4)

2. On Non-Samsung devices OR Samsung devices with a custom rom
    Follow @CarbonWyre's guide first, to get your Android phone to work with the Gear 2.
    WARNING: I’m not responsible if you brick your phone! Read the guide carefully!
Regarding point 1: I can’t really help with this, as I have a Galaxy S3 with a custom rom installed (SlimROM 4.4.4) and I had to follow @CarbonWyre's guide for it, but it should work out of the box and even easier. Just make sure you have Gear Manager installed from the Samsung app store and then go to the steps further below.

Regarding point 2: after following @CarbonWyre's guide and connecting your Gear 2 to the phone, you also need to be able to receive notifications and also install apps from the GALAXY Apps store correctly, not only the stand-alone apps but also those that install on the phone too! This usually gave the “Installation Failed. Try Later.(0)“ error, until yesterday, but thanks to a discovery from @drakenjin, and my install tips from the same thread, you should be able to fix these errors.

If everything goes well, you should be able to install anything from Samsung’s app store, to the Gear 2 and phone, especially the free launcher that we need for everything to work.

Now to the actual “hack”: Tasker + App Factory Plugin + LaunchGear!

Assuming you went through either 1. or 2. successfully and you have installed GALAXY Apps, Gear Manager and connected to your Gear 2, follow the next steps:

1. Install Tasker from the Play Store, if you don’t have it already
    (it’s not free but it’s worth every penny)
  2. Install Tasker App Factory from the Play Store
    (a free Tasker plugin to create separate apps that link to it)
  3. Gear Manager -> Samsung Apps -> Search and install LaunchGear
    (this one is free, thanks to Heedeok Lee)

Tasker App Factory is the actual workaround here, as LaunchGear supports only apps but not shortcuts to Tasker tasks (for now). With the App Factory you can export tasks from Tasker as separate applications which LaunchGear can then execute. (see example below)

Until I’ve reinstalled SlimROM, I always had problems with App Factory apps force-closing on me (“Unfortunately, … has stopped.“) but now with Tasker v4.4 (final) and the latest App Factory, it finally works perfectly! Not sure what got fixed for that, the rom or the apps.

Example: Gear 2 -> Phone -> and back to Gear 2 again, with a notification!

1. Open Tasker -> Tasks
  2. Create a new task and name it whatever you want, e.g. “Phone Battery Level”
  3. Add a new sub-task with + -> Select Alert -> Notify
    Title: Phone battery level: %BATT%​
  4. Optional: add an icon for the phone notification (it will display only on the phone)
  5. Go back to your task “Phone Battery Level”, you should see “1. Notify” with the title below it.
  6. Add a new sub-task with + -> Select Alert -> Notify Cancel
    This will clear the notification on the phone automatically after it appears. Useful in this case.
    (don't change anything unless you really want to. just go back and do some tests using the play button on the bottom left)​
  7. Add an application icon (important!) using the button on the bottom right.
    (this it the icon that will display on the gear, not the one from step 4.)​
  8. Go back to the main page of Tasker and press and hold “Phone Battery Level”
  9. Press the button on the top right -> Export -> As app.
  10. Wait for it to finish -> press the robot on the bottom right of the popup and install.
    (test it by running “Phone Battery Level”. You should get the notification only on the phone)​
  11. Gear Manager -> Notifications -> check “Phone Battery Level”.
    (if you don’t see the application list at the bottom, follow the steps from Turning On Notifications)​
  12. (on the phone) Run LaunchGear, which should be installed through GALAXY Apps.
  13. In LaunchGear, press + and add your “Phone Battery Level” app and confirm.
  14. Run LaunchGear and then the app, to see your phone’s battery level on your watch!
    (if your LaunchGear is black, close all recent apps on the Gear. I have it set on double-pressing the Gear main button. Hopefully Heedeok Lee will fix this issue)

And these are pretty much the basics :cool:. Not to mention what other complex apps could be created! Have fun and thanks go to @CarbonWyre, @drakenjin, Heedeok Lee and other users from the guide mentioned above.

Source: my blog post :)

TIPS and TRICKS:

• OBSOLETE (use step 6 instead): Use Ns Auto Clear if you have tasker apps that create notifications which are useless on the phone but are useful on the gear! e.g. The "Phone Battery Level" app, from my example above, will generate notifications which are rather useless on the phone and should be automatically cleared. Ns Auto Clear does not disable them completely (like this the gear wouldn't receive them at all) but clears notifications from specified apps right after you get them on the phone.
  • When you want icons that are not built into tasker, just install an application with the desired icon from the Play store. Then select that application's icon at step 8. in the above example and export the app. After you installed the tasker app with the desired icon, you can uninstall the application from which you've "stolen" the icon :)

UPDATES:
22.07.2014: Added a new tutorial for Media volume control with Tasker & Gear 2
23.07.2014: Replaced Ns Auto Clear with a way to remove notifications with Tasker. See step 6. Thanks @stanguay.

Last edited:

dazkeirle

Jun 20, 2009
Surprised this hasn't got more attention, finding this really interesting.

Do you have any tasks that you use to give me some inspiration?

I now have ad hoc notifications for lots of bits but It appears tasker probably is alot more powerful.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Medox2

Jul 17, 2014
Surprised this hasn't got more attention, finding this really interesting.

Probably because installing from the galaxy apps store was limited to stand-alone apps until now, on custom roms at least. Getting rid of the “Installation Failed. Try Later.(0)“ error is mandatory but the workaround does not work for everybody, yet, from what I see in the other thread.

Do you have any tasks that you use to give me some inspiration?

I now have ad hoc notifications for lots of bits but It appears tasker probably is alot more powerful.

I'm also new to tasker (had only macrodroid before) and also searching for some inspiration. Taskertutorials has a lot of videos, expecially for voice automation, which I didn't try yet (english is not my first languare... and it's silly for me to speak english to my watch/phone, even at home)

There are 2 ways to interact with tasker with your gear:
  1. getting only notifications from tasker delivered to your gear, which works without LaunchGear and even with the “Installation Failed. Try Later.(0)“ error, as it's unrelated.
  2. getting your gear to control tasker, which is covered in the first post.

Think of what you want your phone to run or automate, like: turning on your laptop (see first image) by using the wol plugin, or anything that can be sent to the gear, without having to always take the phone out or when it's charging.

If you are a sysadmin, you could ping websites and get a warning notifications automatically to your gear when they are offline. This works one-way too, so no need for LaunchGear, only if you want to manually check the state using your gear. I have this too and get errors when sites from work or my home router is offline, which are checked every 5 minutes. Running ssh commands from gear to tasker and then to your home or external server is also possible (haven't found free plugins for this yet)

Tasker is also good for home automation using your phone and dedicated hardware like zwave & co. Imagine controlling your home with your watch :D teoretically, this is possible but I don't have home automation devices yet...

Right now I plan to connect tasker to unified remote. This will bring a lot more possibilities for controlling my network devices at home.
Some tips will also be added to the first post.

ricketkm

Oct 9, 2007
NJ
OMG been looking for tasker for Gear 2, I'm gonna have to try this when I get home. Saw tasker working for Android wear and got jealous now I can try it yes :good::good: thank you, now I just have to root my S4. Does anybody have a link for samsung app store I have a S3 with custom rom want to test it out on that phone first before I try it out on mm daily phone ?

Medox2

Jul 17, 2014
OMG been looking for tasker for Gear 2, I'm gonna have to try this when I get home. Saw tasker working for Android wear and got jealous now I can try it yes :good::good: thank you, now I just have to root my S4. Does anybody have a link for samsung app store I have a S3 with custom rom want to test it out on that phone first before I try it out on mm daily phone ?

Glad to hear :)

For the samsung app store related issues, please see the: [Guide] How to set up Galaxy Gear 2 for non Samsung devices (Full Tutorial) , especially the first post and then page 53 and 54 because you will need that Samsung app store workaround from these pages to work in order to get the desired results of this tutorial.

The link to the samsung app store:
http://apps.samsung.com/mars/mw/apk_en.as?COUNTRY_CODE=USA&CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000279

yohappy

Aug 17, 2010
Ns Auto Clear from tasker how do i do it please need help
I have the battery notification icon always showing Ns would love to get ridd of it thanks:)

Medox2

Jul 17, 2014
so with this I can basically use Tasker on my Gear 2 like on Android wear ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HenEwe3EfbE&list=UUXzySgo3V9KysSfELFLMAeA

If Android wear still uses a smartphone for it's automations (and Tasker), then yes, it's the same.

Ns Auto Clear from tasker how do i do it please need help
I have the battery notification icon always showing Ns would love to get ridd of it thanks:)

After you install Ns Auto Clear from the app store, run it and enable it for the desired application.

L.E. please see step 6 in my first post. you can use tasker to remove the notifications automatically after they appear.

Last edited:

yohappy

Aug 17, 2010
If Android wear still uses a smartphone for it's automations (and Tasker), then yes, it's the same.

After you install Ns Auto Clear from the app store, run it and enable it for the desired application, e.g.

Screenshot.png

I'm still looking for a better app because this makes problems. Usually it starts hidding notifications that should not be hidden :rolleyes: and then I always have to check the list, if anything changed again.

thanks for your quick reply Medox2 :)

Medox2

Jul 17, 2014
Media volume control with Tasker & Gear 2

gear2_tasker_volume.jpg

This tutorial is for those who want to control the media volume on Android through their Gear 2. It can also be used without the Gear 2 part, if you are only interested in the tasks themselves.

First, make sure you were successful in getting Tasker to work with the Gear 2 (see first post).
(I recommend getting that example app to run before continuing)

If you just want Volume Profiles to be triggered by Tasker, go to the bottom of this post!
If you want two separate buttons to increase/decrease the volume, follow these steps:

A task/app for increasing the media volume:

1. Open Tasker and press the 3-dotted button on the top-right and select Preferences.
  2. Uncheck the Beginner Mode (or you won’t be able to set the level variables at step 6.)
  3. Create a new task and name it: Media Volume Increase.
  4. Press + and select Variables, then Variable set.
    Name: %mediaVolume
    To: %VOLM + 3 (volume increases by 3, e.g. 0/15, 3/15, 6/15. you can change this if you want)
    If: %VOLM < 15​
  5. Back.
  6. Press + and select Audio, then Media Volume.
    Level: %mediaVolume
    (do not check Display or Sound unless you really want to, for a test)​
  7. Back.
  8. Press + and select Alert, then Notify
    Title: Volume increased to %VOLM/15
  9. Press + and select Alert, then Notify
    Title: Volume at maximum! (%VOLM/15)
    If: %VOLM eq 15​
  10. Back.
  11. Press + and select Alert, then Notify Cancel (to automatically remove the notifications on the phone so they don't pile up)
    don't change anything, unless you want to​
  12. Back.
    Result
  13. Add the application icon (for the Gear 2) by using the button on the bottom-right.
  14. Back (you should be at the task list now).
  15. Press the 3-dotted button on the top-right and select Preferences.
  16. Check the Beginner Mode (or not, if you know how to export apps without).
  17. Back (to the task list).
  18. Press & hold Media Volume Increase -> 3-dotted button on the top-right -> Export.
    (make sure you have installed Tasker App Factory first or you won’t be able to export)​
  19. After the export is done, press the Android robot icon on the bottom-right of the popup.
  20. Install the application.
  21. Open Gear Manager -> Notifications -> select Media Volume Increase.
    (make sure you turn on notifications in the manager for this to work. please see below)
  22. Gear Manager -> Samsung Apps -> Find and install LaunchGear.
  23. Open LaunchGear on the phone and add Media Volume Increase.
  24. Open LaunchGear on the Gear 2 and test out your new app.

If everything works fine, we can create the second app for the Gear 2:

A task/app for decreasing the media volume:

1. Open Tasker and press the 3-dotted button on the top-right and select Preferences.
  2. Uncheck the Beginner Mode (or you won’t be able to set the level variables at step 6.)
  3. Create a new task and name it: Media Volume Decrease.
    To: %VOLM - 3 (volume decreases by 3, e.g. 6/15, 3/15, 0/15. you can change this if you want)
    If: %VOLM > 0​
  5. Back.
  7. Back.
    Title: Volume decreased to %VOLM/15
    If: %VOLM < 15
    AND
    Title: Volume at minimum! (%VOLM/15)
    If: %VOLM eq 0​
  10. Back.
  11. Press + and select Alert, then Notify Cancel (to automatically remove the notifications on the phone so they don't pile up)
  12. Back.
    Result
  13. Add the application icon (for the Gear 2) by using the button on the bottom-right.
  18. Press & hold Media Volume Decrease -> 3-dotted button on the top-right -> Export.
    (make sure you have installed Tasker App Factory first or you won’t be able to export)​
  19. After the export is done, press the Android robot icon on the bottom-right of the popup.
  21. Open Gear Manager -> Notifications -> select Media Volume Decrease.
    (make sure you turn on notifications in the manager for this to work. please see below)
  23. Open LaunchGear on the phone and add Media Volume Decrease.

How to turn on notifications on the Gear 2:

1. Open “Notifications” in Gear Manager
  2. Uncheck “Limit Notifications”
  3. Press on “0) More Notifications”
  4. Press “Turn On”
  5. Check the box next to “Gear Manager”
  6. Return to “Notifications” in Gear Manager
  7. Scroll down and check the boxes you want to receive notifications from

Check the [Guide] How to set up Galaxy Gear 2 for non Samsung devices for errors.

Volume profiles for the Gear 2:

1. Install Volume Profile for tasker and create a profile called Outdoor (as an example).
  2. Edit the Settings of Volume Profile to disable vibration and sound on profile change.
  3. Open Tasker and create a new task and name it: Set outdoor volume profile.
  4. Press + and select Plugin, then Volume Profile -> Configuration: Outdoor.
  5. Back.
  6. Press + and select Alert, then Notify
    Title: Outdoor profile set!​
  7. Back.
  8. Press + and select Alert, then Notify Cancel
    (to automatically remove the notifications on the phone so they don't pile up)​
  9. Back.
  10. Add the application icon (for the Gear 2) by using the button on the bottom-right.
  11. Back (you should be at the task list now).
  12. Press & hold Set outdoor volume profile -> 3-dotted button on the top-right -> Export.
  13. After the export is done, press the Android robot icon on the bottom-right of the popup.
  14. Install the application.
  15. Open Gear Manager -> Notifications -> select Set outdoor volume profile.
    (make sure you turn on notifications in the manager for this to work. please see above)
  16. Gear Manager -> Samsung Apps -> Find and install LaunchGear.
  17. Open LaunchGear on the phone and add Set outdoor volume profile.
  18. Open LaunchGear on the Gear 2 and test out your new volume profile.

Yes, lots of steps but once you create 2-3 apps, everything will seem easier :) Now enjoy your new apps for controlling your phone with your Gear 2 while going for a run!

Similar apps can now be easily created, for example: increasing/decreasing any other type of volumes on the phone (ringer, alarm, notifications, etc.) but the media volume should be the most useful. For complex alarm/ringer settings, use Volume profiles.

Source: my new blog post

UPDATES:
23.07.2014: Added a way to remove the generated notifications on the phone with Tasker (step 11 for the first two apps. step 8 for the last one), so they don't pile up. Thanks @stanguay.

Last edited:

FdeKlerk

Oct 10, 2013
Johannesburg
Missing.

Hay guys.

I had a look on both the samsung app store & samsung gear app store, the "LaunchGear" app is not there.

I live in South Africa and I have a (Note 3 LTE 4.4.2 rooted)

Any ideas?

ricketkm

Oct 9, 2007
NJ
Hay guys.

I had a look on both the samsung app store & samsung gear app store, the "LaunchGear" app is not there.

Any ideas?

It's there I just installed it

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 AM ----------

So I am trying to figure out how to get google now on my gear 2 via taker

Medox2

Jul 17, 2014
I'm in Italy and also i not show LaunchGear in samsungapps :(

Please always use: Gear Manager -> Samsung Apps -> Search for LaunchGear, like described in the tutorial.
If I open GALAXY Apps directly, it will not find LaunchGear.

Hay guys.

Any ideas?

If it's not even in the "gear app store", then this is indeed country dependent. Could you try this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2312215 ? It's the closest I could find for now. I will make some tests too.

ricketkm

Oct 9, 2007
NJ
gear2_tasker_volume.jpg

This tutorial is for those who want to control the media volume on Android through their Gear 2. It can also be used without the Gear 2 part, if you are only interested in the tasks themselves.

First, make sure you were successful in getting Tasker to work with the Gear 2 (see first post).

If you just want Volume Profiles to be triggered by Tasker, go to the bottom of this post!
If you want two separate buttons to increase/decrease the volume, follow these steps:

ng ...
Took off the notifications and alert but thanks a lot I'm gonna try and figure out how to add other features.

Last edited:

GigilinE

Apr 1, 2010
Napoli
Please always use: Gear Manager -> Samsung Apps -> Search for LaunchGear, like described in the tutorial.
If I open GALAXY Apps directly, it will not find LaunchGear.

If it's not even in the "gear app store", then this is indeed country dependent. Could you try this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2312215 ? It's the closest I could find for now. I will make some tests too.
You can share apk? I know how search but not see this LaunchGear

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    gear2_tasker.jpg

After a lot of troubleshooting, a rom reinstallation and a couple of workarounds, I can now finally start Tasker tasks, from my Gear 2 Neo, on my Galaxy S3, which in turn can control almost anything on the phone itself, my laptops or other devices! :) Before this, I was only able to send notifications from Tasker to the Gear 2, which is also cool but controlling your smartphone with your smartwatch gives you endless possibilities!

Back to the tutorial. There are two ways to get this working:

1. On Samsung devices with a stock rom (currently 17 devices)

Samsung Galaxy S5
      Galaxy Grand 2
      Galaxy Note 3
      Galaxy Note 3 Neo
      Galaxy Note 2
      Galaxy S4
      Galaxy S3
      Galaxy S4 Zoom
      Galaxy S4 Active
      Galaxy S4 mini
      Galaxy Mega 6.3
      Galaxy Mega 5.8
      Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)
      Galaxy NotePRO (12.2)
      Galaxy TabPRO (12.2/10.1/8.4)

2. On Non-Samsung devices OR Samsung devices with a custom rom
      Follow @CarbonWyre's guide first, to get your Android phone to work with the Gear 2.
      WARNING: I’m not responsible if you brick your phone! Read the guide carefully!
    Regarding point 1: I can’t really help with this, as I have a Galaxy S3 with a custom rom installed (SlimROM 4.4.4) and I had to follow @CarbonWyre's guide for it, but it should work out of the box and even easier. Just make sure you have Gear Manager installed from the Samsung app store and then go to the steps further below.

Regarding point 2: after following @CarbonWyre's guide and connecting your Gear 2 to the phone, you also need to be able to receive notifications and also install apps from the GALAXY Apps store correctly, not only the stand-alone apps but also those that install on the phone too! This usually gave the “Installation Failed. Try Later.(0)“ error, until yesterday, but thanks to a discovery from @drakenjin, and my install tips from the same thread, you should be able to fix these errors.

If everything goes well, you should be able to install anything from Samsung’s app store, to the Gear 2 and phone, especially the free launcher that we need for everything to work.

Now to the actual “hack”: Tasker + App Factory Plugin + LaunchGear!

Assuming you went through either 1. or 2. successfully and you have installed GALAXY Apps, Gear Manager and connected to your Gear 2, follow the next steps:

1. Install Tasker from the Play Store, if you don’t have it already
      (it’s not free but it’s worth every penny)
    2. Install Tasker App Factory from the Play Store
      (a free Tasker plugin to create separate apps that link to it)
    3. Gear Manager -> Samsung Apps -> Search and install LaunchGear
      (this one is free, thanks to Heedeok Lee)

Tasker App Factory is the actual workaround here, as LaunchGear supports only apps but not shortcuts to Tasker tasks (for now). With the App Factory you can export tasks from Tasker as separate applications which LaunchGear can then execute. (see example below)

Until I’ve reinstalled SlimROM, I always had problems with App Factory apps force-closing on me (“Unfortunately, … has stopped.“) but now with Tasker v4.4 (final) and the latest App Factory, it finally works perfectly! Not sure what got fixed for that, the rom or the apps.

Example: Gear 2 -> Phone -> and back to Gear 2 again, with a notification!

1. Open Tasker -> Tasks
    2. Create a new task and name it whatever you want, e.g. “Phone Battery Level”
    3. Add a new sub-task with + -> Select Alert -> Notify
      Title: Phone battery level: %BATT%​
    4. Optional: add an icon for the phone notification (it will display only on the phone)
    5. Go back to your task “Phone Battery Level”, you should see “1. Notify” with the title below it.
    6. Add a new sub-task with + -> Select Alert -> Notify Cancel
      This will clear the notification on the phone automatically after it appears. Useful in this case.
      (don't change anything unless you really want to. just go back and do some tests using the play button on the bottom left)​
    7. Add an application icon (important!) using the button on the bottom right.
      (this it the icon that will display on the gear, not the one from step 4.)​
    8. Go back to the main page of Tasker and press and hold “Phone Battery Level”
    9. Press the button on the top right -> Export -> As app.
    10. Wait for it to finish -> press the robot on the bottom right of the popup and install.
      (test it by running “Phone Battery Level”. You should get the notification only on the phone)​
    11. Gear Manager -> Notifications -> check “Phone Battery Level”.
      (if you don’t see the application list at the bottom, follow the steps from Turning On Notifications)​
    12. (on the phone) Run LaunchGear, which should be installed through GALAXY Apps.
    13. In LaunchGear, press + and add your “Phone Battery Level” app and confirm.
    14. Run LaunchGear and then the app, to see your phone’s battery level on your watch!
      (if your LaunchGear is black, close all recent apps on the Gear. I have it set on double-pressing the Gear main button. Hopefully Heedeok Lee will fix this issue)

And these are pretty much the basics :cool:. Not to mention what other complex apps could be created! Have fun and thanks go to @CarbonWyre, @drakenjin, Heedeok Lee and other users from the guide mentioned above.

Source: my blog post :)

TIPS and TRICKS:

• OBSOLETE (use step 6 instead): Use Ns Auto Clear if you have tasker apps that create notifications which are useless on the phone but are useful on the gear! e.g. The "Phone Battery Level" app, from my example above, will generate notifications which are rather useless on the phone and should be automatically cleared. Ns Auto Clear does not disable them completely (like this the gear wouldn't receive them at all) but clears notifications from specified apps right after you get them on the phone.
    • When you want icons that are not built into tasker, just install an application with the desired icon from the Play store. Then select that application's icon at step 8. in the above example and export the app. After you installed the tasker app with the desired icon, you can uninstall the application from which you've "stolen" the icon :)

UPDATES:
    22.07.2014: Added a new tutorial for Media volume control with Tasker & Gear 2
    23.07.2014: Replaced Ns Auto Clear with a way to remove notifications with Tasker. See step 6. Thanks @stanguay.
    Media volume control with Tasker & Gear 2

gear2_tasker_volume.jpg

3. Create a new task and name it: Media Volume Increase.
      To: %VOLM + 3 (volume increases by 3, e.g. 0/15, 3/15, 6/15. you can change this if you want)
    5. Back.
    7. Back.
      Title: Volume increased to %VOLM/15
      Title: Volume at maximum! (%VOLM/15)
      If: %VOLM eq 15​
    10. Back.
    12. Back.
      Result
    18. Press & hold Media Volume Increase -> 3-dotted button on the top-right -> Export.
    21. Open Gear Manager -> Notifications -> select Media Volume Increase.
    23. Open LaunchGear on the phone and add Media Volume Increase.

If everything works fine, we can create the second app for the Gear 2:

A task/app for decreasing the media volume:

3. Create a new task and name it: Media Volume Decrease.
      To: %VOLM - 3 (volume decreases by 3, e.g. 6/15, 3/15, 0/15. you can change this if you want)
    5. Back.
    7. Back.
      Title: Volume decreased to %VOLM/15
      If: %VOLM < 15
      AND
      Title: Volume at minimum! (%VOLM/15)
      If: %VOLM eq 0​
    10. Back.
    12. Back.
      Result
    18. Press & hold Media Volume Decrease -> 3-dotted button on the top-right -> Export.
    21. Open Gear Manager -> Notifications -> select Media Volume Decrease.
    23. Open LaunchGear on the phone and add Media Volume Decrease.

How to turn on notifications on the Gear 2:

1. Open “Notifications” in Gear Manager
    2. Uncheck “Limit Notifications”
    3. Press on “0) More Notifications”
    4. Press “Turn On”
    5. Check the box next to “Gear Manager”
    6. Return to “Notifications” in Gear Manager
    7. Scroll down and check the boxes you want to receive notifications from

Check the [Guide] How to set up Galaxy Gear 2 for non Samsung devices for errors.

Volume profiles for the Gear 2:

1. Install Volume Profile for tasker and create a profile called Outdoor (as an example).
    2. Edit the Settings of Volume Profile to disable vibration and sound on profile change.
    3. Open Tasker and create a new task and name it: Set outdoor volume profile.
    4. Press + and select Plugin, then Volume Profile -> Configuration: Outdoor.
    5. Back.
    6. Press + and select Alert, then Notify
      Title: Outdoor profile set!​
    7. Back.
    8. Press + and select Alert, then Notify Cancel
      (to automatically remove the notifications on the phone so they don't pile up)​
    9. Back.
    10. Add the application icon (for the Gear 2) by using the button on the bottom-right.
    11. Back (you should be at the task list now).
    12. Press & hold Set outdoor volume profile -> 3-dotted button on the top-right -> Export.
    13. After the export is done, press the Android robot icon on the bottom-right of the popup.
    14. Install the application.
    15. Open Gear Manager -> Notifications -> select Set outdoor volume profile.
      (make sure you turn on notifications in the manager for this to work. please see above)
    16. Gear Manager -> Samsung Apps -> Find and install LaunchGear.
    17. Open LaunchGear on the phone and add Set outdoor volume profile.
    18. Open LaunchGear on the Gear 2 and test out your new volume profile.

Yes, lots of steps but once you create 2-3 apps, everything will seem easier :) Now enjoy your new apps for controlling your phone with your Gear 2 while going for a run!

Similar apps can now be easily created, for example: increasing/decreasing any other type of volumes on the phone (ringer, alarm, notifications, etc.) but the media volume should be the most useful. For complex alarm/ringer settings, use Volume profiles.

Source: my new blog post

UPDATES:
    23.07.2014: Added a way to remove the generated notifications on the phone with Tasker (step 11 for the first two apps. step 8 for the last one), so they don't pile up. Thanks @stanguay.
    Samsung Gear Store

Samsung Gear Store:

I just changed this line in built.prop and I got 250 app and more on the Samsung Gear Store.
    Edited: ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

Tasker:

You can use “Notify Cancel” in Tasker to remove the notification on your phone.
    The “Notify Cancel” is under “Alert” in Tasker when you select an Action.

Hope this can help !
    How did you do that ? I am still trying to get a hold on how to create my own tasks...
    I did just as the OP instructed, but set up a task to put up a lock screen:
    azu4y6a3.jpg

(use numbers instead of asterisks, lol)

The lock option is under "Display".
    It's not the Android lock, and I guess it's not as secure, but would definitely slow someone down...