Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,645 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] creating a gear app with copyrighted material

Tip us?

mrmrmrmr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Default [Q] creating a gear app with copyrighted material

Hi,

I am trying to make a Gear 2 watchface with a Disney character on it. I use a drawing of the character on the watchface.
Unfortunately, my app is rejected by Samsung Apps, because of "Copyrighted material".

Is there a workaround for this type of situation ? Shall we never have the chance of seeing such apps on our "Gear 2" ?
In fact, this should not be specific to Gear 2 Apps, I believe, same rule applies to Android apps, at least the apps on Samsung Apps.

What can I do ? Would it matter if I draw it myself and make a serious mistake to say that this is not the correct character ?

klwinkel
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr View Post
Hi,

I am trying to make a Gear 2 watchface with a Disney character on it. I use a drawing of the character on the watchface.
Unfortunately, my app is rejected by Samsung Apps, because of "Copyrighted material".

Is there a workaround for this type of situation ? Shall we never have the chance of seeing such apps on our "Gear 2" ?
In fact, this should not be specific to Gear 2 Apps, I believe, same rule applies to Android apps, at least the apps on Samsung Apps.

What can I do ? Would it matter if I draw it myself and make a serious mistake to say that this is not the correct character ?
Why dont' you make a Disney watch face with Watch Styler and publish it on Gearfaces.com

Gear users can use that watch face with the Watch Styler and/or Multi-Watch Gear app.

there are already a few others:

Mickey watch faces

mrmrmrmr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
But my watchface is a standalone app with other features (digital clock and date with weekdays, battery & bluetooth status)
I am also planning to develop it with additional features like weather & location information etc.
so it's not just a design for Watch Styler.

klwinkel
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr View Post
But my watchface is a standalone app with other features (digital clock and date with weekdays, battery & bluetooth status)
I am also planning to develop it with additional features like weather & location information etc.
so it's not just a design for Watch Styler.
Ok, then I don't know a way to get around the Samsung Copyright police...

Maybe just try again, another tester might not notice it.
My experience is that they don't really have a structured way of testing.
They might find a problem one day, but miss ten others.

But be carefull, if you violate the copyright laws too often they might block/remove your account completly.

Why don't you make you own nice unique design for the watch face, then you'll have your own copyright?
The Following User Says Thank You to klwinkel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]