[Q&A] Porting Android to Gear 2

Search This thread

alvaromartinezb

Jan 11, 2015
Mexico City
Help how can i access the files on my gear 2 from my pc through usb? and how do I add google play music or any other music player on it? THNX hoping a reply.
Connect it to your computer and wait for the driver's to install... It will pop up as a USB, and the music player will install automatically when you have a supported app installed on your phone(like Google Play music)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

chy31694

Jul 6, 2016
how to use Gear2_Wear6_Rel6.zip

Hi i want to know how to use Gear2_Wear6_Rel6.zip . This file can not used in odin and i
extract the img and did not know how to use it .can you helop me ??TY

chy31694

Jul 6, 2016
Bug reports for gear 2 android 6

I have download Android6 wear for Samsung Galaxy gear 2 but sometimes the Heart rate sensor light of my gear 2 light ,It happens sometimes I think it is a bug so can you tell me how to Solve this problem ?

Icharius

Jan 18, 2011
file transfer with usb from pc?

Hi I've succesfully port the gear 2 but now I am unaivalabe to transfer files from the PC via usb as I did before with tizen. I have downloaded the google drivers and yet it won't display the gear on the pc menu.
Also I try mounting the folders via recovery to no avail.

Is there's any workaround this please let me know.

Thanks for a great port!

Tommi4u

Oct 9, 2007
Warszawa
Hi, I was running wear since months already and yesterday night something failed... Now, when in ambient mode, Home button or screen does not react. When I boot it, all works fine for few minutes than stuck on clock. I do not see boot screen and possibility to go to download mode.
I have try to put back stock room after few treys "on blind" and it connect to odin and I can write stock rom (tizen) but... When it boots, only thing what i see is white screen.
I went back to Android wear and it boot up to the system. But it act the same, no respond after going to sleep.
Any advice?

Last edited:

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9

pizza_pablo

Dec 6, 2013
PNW
This thing runs so well, that if something happened to my Gear 2 Neo, I would buy another and flash TWRP and this ROM on it and carry on! :thumbup::D

Sent from my XT1575 using XDA Free mobile app

zaidam56

Oct 7, 2016
Baghdad
Hi everybody
I used Gear2_Wear6_Rel6 with Odin 3.09 on my Gear 2 neo Tizen according to instructions for the first time and on booting the watch, it kept on flashing lights of booting for over an hour. Kept on waiting then I started all over again and the booting only took seconds. Everything works fine as announced.
Thank you so much, it is a great advice, finally I am free from Samsung.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alxoom33

lowan64

Sep 29, 2009
Hi guys, nice work in this rom, is the best ROM for using the Gear 2 Neo. Let me tell you that ive been in this rom for 1 year and always updating to the latest android wear rom, but 3 days ago i decided to go back to tizen just to try, and everything went fine. I used for 2 days, now i want to back to android wear, but..... surprise... surprise, the watch is not letting me flash the android rom.... im doing this and already try several times, including flashing a stock rom over the custom tizen rom provided by biktorj, now ODIN gets stuck in the flashing:
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> modules.img
and is not passing from here, not matter how much time i wait....

Now when i flash a stock rom (over the tizen rom provided by biktorj) odin gets stuck in SetupConnection....

Im gonna try another stock rom and the hard mode to get back to tizen.... but what i want is to going back to android wear...

any advice?

speedme

Jun 12, 2006
Breda
Hi guys, nice work in this rom, is the best ROM for using the Gear 2 Neo. Let me tell you that ive been in this rom for 1 year and always updating to the latest android wear rom, but 3 days ago i decided to go back to tizen just to try, and everything went fine. I used for 2 days, now i want to back to android wear, but..... surprise... surprise, the watch is not letting me flash the android rom.... im doing this and already try several times, including flashing a stock rom over the custom tizen rom provided by biktorj, now ODIN gets stuck in the flashing:
<ID:0/003> modules.img
and is not passing from here, not matter how much time i wait....

Now when i flash a stock rom (over the tizen rom provided by biktorj) odin gets stuck in SetupConnection....

Im gonna try another stock rom and the hard mode to get back to tizen.... but what i want is to going back to android wear...

any advice?

I went also from the AW port to Tizen without any problems.
I'm not planning to go back from Tizen to AW, but maybe you need to use Odin 3.09 and not the latest version.
You can also try to flash an earlier AW rom first and then upgrade it to the latest version available.

lowan64

Sep 29, 2009
I went also from the AW port to Tizen without any problems.
I'm not planning to go back from Tizen to AW, but maybe you need to use Odin 3.09 and not the latest version.
You can also try to flash an earlier AW rom first and then upgrade it to the latest version available.

Well actually i tried odin3.09 and 3.10 3.14, 3 versions of stock rom and 4 version of AW rom but to no avail...

Apparently, mi gear 2 neo is not letting me flash anything on it....odin gets stuck in:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> zImage

or
stock rom
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1203)..
<ID:0/003> sboot.bin

The gear 2 neo boots to tizen and everything works, it just wont let me flash anything on it....

Any advices guys?

speedme

Jun 12, 2006
Breda
Have you tried another USB cable and/or USB port ?
What OS are you running ? Maybe try it on a totally different PC ?
Normally a stock ROM (no TizenMod) should be able to be flashed.
Maybe your partitions are messed up?
Maybe you have to flash a PIT file to recover the partitions ?

Hope this has helped a little bit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since there has been a bit of chatter on this tread with regards to comparison between AW and Tizen on the Gear 2, here's my take. Let me start by saying I have a Gear 2 Neo, so I have no camera. I'm a Software Developer, though I don't develop Android apps except for my own personal stuff.
    S Voice
    I found S Voice to be wholly useless. When I was on Tizen, I would have completely frozen this app were it not for the interactions with the watch. It's well behind Google on every front.
    OK Google
    I love ok google. Being able to use it from the watch is fantastic. In fact, prior to finding this port, I was considering trying to work some kind of interaction between Tizen and Google to override SVoice. With OK Google, I routinely send whatsapp messages, or texts while driving without looking at anything. (I will admit there have been some sketchy messages, but people get the gist). While I can understand why some might see it as a gimmick, I find it to be extremely useful.
    Battery Life
    Battery consumption: with moderate use, I get 2 days with AW, so I just charge it nightly along with my phone. While this is admittedly more battery consumption than Tizen, it is perfectly adequate for me. A single days use uses between 40 and 45% of the battery, so I could theoretically easily get two days out of it without charging.
    Speakerphone
    Making phone calls from the watch (using the watch as a speakerphone) to me is the ultimate gimmick. While I did this a couple of times to call my wife from the basement when my phone was out of reach, this was more of a **** Tracy thing that was fun to show people, but not highly useful for me. It looks like this feature might be available in a future release, if it can be slimmed down to fit on our tiny system partition.
    Remote
    While not ideal (buttons are smaller) the IR remote that comes bundled with the AW is much more functional than the Tizen one, as long as you have device support. You get essentially a full-fledged remote, with all buttons. It is SOOOO nice being able to change inputs on the TV without a "real" remote handy.
    Development and Apps
    At the end of the day, the Tizen platform has a minuscule percentage of development as opposed to AW. Many apps that I already had installed already have support for AW. One of the coolest is IFTTT (now known as IF) - If This Then That. There is an option on there where, from your watch, you can have it initiate a fake phone call to your phone. Perfect if you need to duck out of a conversation gracefully. It's an economy of scale thing. If you want your app to be used, you develop for a platform that's in use. This is likely why a small percentage of apps have a Windows Phone counterpart - there's just not the market for it. The same applies to Tizen, specifically as it applies to wearables. There's just not a lot of devices out there that run it. So if you wanted to make a dollar or two, your efforts would be better spent developing for Android or *cough* some other FruitPhone.
    Issues
    I only bring this up in the interest of completeness. I'm completely happy that I made the jump over to Android Wear. On one of the threads, there was a report of the volume up on IR blaster continuously being sent even after app closed. I had this happen once, and it was when I was really jamming on the volume up button. It has not repeated since. I had a single instance where, after reboot, google wear refused to start (it would go thru boot animation and then tell me that google wear has stopped). I don't have logcats or anything from it, but a simple reboot solved that.
    Final Review/Observations
    I view having Android Wear on my Gear 2 Neo as breathing life into an older piece of tech. It's a few years old now. Google Wear does, in fact, take a bit of getting used to for longer-time Tizen users. It's not the same. Like anything else, once you master the concepts of the UI, you'll almost certainly be delighted with it. I would encourage anyone who has the means, to support biktor_gj financially if possible. While anyone who reviews the development thread would agree that this was nothing short of a labor of love, good development should be rewarded. And for sure, this is worth some reward.

My thoughts, for what it's worth :)

Blu
    How to Restore Back to Tizen

Hi!
    Ive seen a lot of people are having doubts about restoring their devices to Tizen OS... So i made this video to help you guys:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhzIqFopQNY

good luck!
    What do I have to get/do to persuade bitkor_jg to work on the camera again? 20 beers, 50 beers? Haha:silly:. I most likely am still gonna go on Ebay and buy a gear 2 just to put Android Wear on as I think it would make it the best smartwatch (e.i. battery life, specs, ir blaster, speaker, etc + Android Wear is lightyears ahead of Tizen). I just believe that it would make it the icing on the cake if bitkor could get the camera working. I know most people think it's a gimmic, but when I had my Galaxy Gear, I found so many ways to take pictures with the camera on the watch; good and bad if you know what I mean;). Bitkor, it would really make me feel warm and fuzzy inside if you could just maybe one day when development for the Gear S is slow, give a stab at the camera again. I know you said you don't completely understand the libraries, but there has to be another dev on XDA who would understand them a bit better? I'm just the average joe, but if it really is just a no go, could you explain in greater detail what the underlying problem is so I can feel better about myself? If you end up doing it or not, expect to see a nice donation in the near future for all your hard work done on this watch. Thanks a bunch bitkor_jg:D

I explained it a looong time ago, but I can't even find that post myself, so I will explain the issues I found with the camera just so you guys can understand the problem and if anyone wants to give it a try they have some more info to begin with:

Overview

The whole camera framework is divided in 4 sections, merged in 2 different groups:

Kernel Side
    Board specific camera pinout configuration to be able to enable and disable the camera
    Kernel camera framework (ISP)

Android Side
    Camera Application
    Camera HAL

Let's go first with the kernel side.
    Each camera sensor, has two parts. The first one it's the definition of the camera in the board driver files. The camera driver for the Gear 2 is at arch/arm/mach-exynos/board-b2-camera.c This file will set up the pins to wake up/suspend the device, and will expose the capabilities of the sensor to the framework it uses to communicate with the rest of the kernel (more on that now)

The second part of code in the kernel is the camera framework. If you open the mentioned file above, you'll notice the next ifdef: CONFIG_VIDEO_EXYNOS_FIMC_IS. This means Video Exynos Fully Integrated Mobile Camera Image Sensor. Here is where differences start to show up between this watch and *every other camera driver that I could look into*. Take a look at how the driver exposes the camera capabilities to the framework:

Code:
    static struct exynos_fimc_is_subip_info subip_info = {
    	._mcuctl = {
    		.valid		= 1,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 190,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._3a0 = {
    		.valid		= 1,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._3a1 = {
    		.valid		= 0,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._isp = {
    		.valid		= 0,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._drc = {
    		.valid		= 1,
    		.full_bypass	= 1,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._scc = {
    		.valid		= 1,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._odc = {
    		.valid		= 0,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._dis = {
    		.valid		= 0,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._dnr = {
    		.valid		= 0,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._scp = {
    		.valid		= 1,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._fd = {
    		.valid		= 1,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    	._pwm = {
    		.valid		= 1,
    		.full_bypass	= 0,
    		.version	= 0,
    		.base_addr	= 0,
    	},
    };
    #endif
    This piece of code is what tells the camera framework what it can use to communicate with the sensor, and which capabilities it has. For what I learnt, "ISP" is what Android phones with Exynos chipsets use to communicate with the camera kernel drivers. In Tizen though, it only uses the 3aa, which seems like a reduced version of it (3AA means Auto Focus, Auto Exposure & Auto White Balance)
    So, here is where we begin to have problems. Someone at Samsung forked the original FIMC framework for the Exynos 3470/4210 and did a bunch of modifications, then used that to handle Gear 2's camera that way for Tizen. They did quite a good mess in the kernel tree making it more difficult to trace. The drivers are at drivers/media/video/exynos/fimc-is-w1

Still with me? Hope so!
    Okay, this driver is what exposes the camera interfaces to the user land, which are then picked up by Android's Camera HAL to access the sensor. These interfaces include the preview interface -scaler-,control interface -isp-,main image interface

If you had a working camera HAL, you'll want it to open these three devices in this order:
    1. Main image interface --> this will call the kernel to enable the camera GPIOs
    2. Control interface --> This will call the ISP framework and will push the camera firmware and ISP firmware into the processor DSP
    3. Preview Interface --> This will turn on the image scaler and send the images captured with the camera back to the HAL to create a smaller image of what the sensor is picking, to avoid having to do it with the CPU and wasting resources and power.

THE PROBLEMS

DSP:
    We DO have an integrated DSP. I know we do. These guys at Samsung are lazy enough to pick one processor, change a few things here and there and rename it and call it something else. The Exynos 3250 is mostly identical to the 3470, except the 3470 is a quad core. But the way the kernel camera framework is programmed is completely different between them. The Exynos 3470's cameras use IRQs that aren't in use in the watch, and they are even declared in a different way. Besides, it seems like they patched up the 3250's ISP drivers to never use it and in Tizen they only used the 3aa devices to control the camera (3aa for control, 3aa.c -capture- for actual image processing). When you pick the kernel and tell it that the camera uses ISP for the camera, the kernel panics due to missing internal connections inside the framework, and I couldn't trace the entire problem.

The Camera HAL
    This is half good and half bad. Most camera HALs in Android are closed. In another chapter of my lengthy posts you might have learnt that the codebase for the Exynos 3250 is a mash up of different processors, including the Exynos 4 and Exynos 5 series. Well, the Hardware composer for the display uses the Exynos 5 codebase, but for the camera, the Exynos 3470 (Galaxy S5 Mini) uses the Exynos 4 FIMC Camera HAL.
    Samsung Manta uses the Exynos 5 Camera HAL, and was opensourced by Google. It's what I tried to use when I attempted to bring up the camera. Looking at the sources, and after a little patching, I made it bring up the required interfaces to open the camera, but the ISP kernel driver always crashed and panicked.

And that's as far as I could get. No matter what I did, it ended up panicking the kernel and hard rebooting the watch and frustrating the hell out of me... I don't fully understand how the ISP works inside apart from what I have explained in this post. The ISP driver contains about 250 files + headers, and then there's the camera HAL library itself. And I don't even have the camera!

If someone has enough patiente to go through the entire code, and the actual hardware to give it a try, be my guest!
    I updated the first post with the full-flash version, simply download it and flash it with Odin :)

Sent from my Xperia Z using XDA Free mobile app
    is there some other place that i can download from?
    so we can eliminate the possibility of problems on download server causing this error.

I will put the next one to mediafire and mega, I'll probably put it tonight, check my first post in a few hours!

Sent from my Xperia Z using XDA Free mobile app