D.M.A. Navi Watch - Clock face integrated with Google Navigation

Search This thread

drashko

May 2, 2009
datanasov.com
Hi

My application just passed certification process and wanted to share it with you.
This application is available to download for free on Samsung Gear Apps. Just search for "navi watch".

Imagine you are exploring new city or just going somewhere. To be most efficient you use Google Navigation to get to your desired place, but when you are in unknown area you need to look very often in your mobile to stay on path. During nice sunny day your screen brightness on mobile needs to be set on 110% to be able to see something on the screen and your battery discharges very fast(sounds familiar?).

Showing turn-by-turn navigation instructions directly on clock face eliminates the need to launch separate application every time when you look at the watch when navigating on your route. Turn-by-turn instruction with navigation image will be right there when screen turns on.

No need to waste battery on the mobile with screen on all time while looking for directions and keep your mobile in your hands all time, keep your mobile in safely in your pocket/bag and all navigation instructions are delivered instantly on your wrist.
How does it work?

It is integrated with Google Navigation using its notifications and it is necessary to grant notification access to "D.M.A Navi Watch" to be able to see turn-by-turn navigation instructions from Google Navigation directly on your Gear.

After that just start navigating to desired place on your mobile using Google Navigation and follow the navigation instructions on your Gear.

When you are not using navigation, the clock displays date and current weather information with beautiful animated icons. Display, font, colours are all configurable from the application on your mobile.

--Version 1.2
  • Fixed missing navigation instructions on Android Lollipop
  • Fixed screen not turning on before turn for some users
  • Added experimental support for Here maps
Here maps now works, but I don't recommend it. To get notifications on the watch, you need to make sure that the application is running in background.
Second issue is that when the screen is off, Here maps does not send navigations instructions after some time and you need to wake you phone to get current navigation instructions.
I'm working on fixing this, but hopefully Here maps will fix it on their side, I don't want to wake the phone automatically.

--Version 1.1.1(attached below)
  • Fixed vibation alert compatablity with latest Google Maps

--Version 1.1
  • Improved clock design
  • More and better navigation images
  • Added vibration before turn
  • Added display on before turn
  • Added battery icon
  • AM/PM or 24h time syncs with the device
  • Compatibility with Gear S
  • Share button - Don't forget to rate and share :good:

Link to web version of Samsung Apps: http://apps.samsung.com/mars/topApps/topAppsDetail.as?productId=000000884131

Questions? Comments? Bugs? Let me know what you think.
You can also contact me directly on http://datanasov.com/contact

Attachments

• NaviWatch.apk
    3.7 MB · Views: 8,320
Last edited:

jamas79

Oct 1, 2010
Awesome! Will try at once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

McGuigew

Dec 22, 2013
Quality word, if I had to say something, I would request a little bit more space between weather and date on the screen. But it is very nice work, this is now my watch face thank you !!

jlopez1286

Oct 21, 2010
Orlando
I searched for it and I don't see it... do you have a link for it??

update: Nevermind...found it... lol

Last edited:

McGuigew

Dec 22, 2013
Well, date and time together make sense to me, so I think it is cool like that. thinking maybe you could add battery percentage in a corner and bluetooth icon in another to know it it is activated or not (both possible to deactivate). I was not asking too much but you seem to ask for work so here are my ideas ahah, thanks for asking! I generally like to have as much information as possible on the watch when I turn it on...

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Pedometer in another corner ? ahahah

Roulianooo

Jun 19, 2012
Wow !
Amazing app !!
I agree with some people here who have requested battery percentage level if you can consider this :p
Thanks for your work !

Assimilated1

May 5, 2014
VERY well done! :good:

I did notice that 12:05pm does not fit the screen. Most of the "m" is off the screen to the right.

Thank you!!!

muralibuv

Jun 23, 2014
Not able to find the app in Gear App Store

Is this app available for US. I am not able to find the app in Gear App Store

SilentAce07

Dec 13, 2010
Wow. This is one of the most game changing, useful, and well-made apps released so far.

Thanks so much.

fcjr77

Mar 11, 2011
I am going to try it out. Although, it would be nice to have the option to have it be separate as I like my watch faces and don't know if I want to change it every time I want directions, but does sound like a good idea. Good job!!!

drashko

May 2, 2009
datanasov.com
Thank you all for feedback.

About the watch face and navigation, due to limitations on Tizen, currently it's not possible to have app that overlays on top of others(or I'm not aware of) like I did on my android application for the end of the world(search for "Doomsday - The last rain" on Google Play).

If it was separate app you would need to launch it every time when you look at your Gear during navigating on your route and that is what I'm trying to avoid, that is the reason why I added the weather widget. More options like app shortcuts or calendar events will be added in later versions.

Don't worry, I will think up something regarding custom watch faces.

rb32

Dec 1, 2004
Germany
I tried it on my Gear 2. Navigation is working and also showing the text in german. But I do not see the data and the time anymore only the weather is showing up. (I use 24h Setup)
Do you have any hint for me, please?

Update -> after reboot of Gear2 the time apears but still no datw

Last edited:
Reactions: mbloecker

McGuigew

Dec 22, 2013
Also, I was thinking, if you make the weather forecast temperature smaller and put it on the left of the screen, you would have room for one shortcut for an app, woud that be possible ? I'm curious.. thanks!

droidnew

Jul 24, 2010
Valdosta GA
Microsoft Surface Duo 2
Very nice app....thank you! Any way to use the clock on 12 hour instead of 24 hour setting? I can't a way to change that so far...I'm stuck on 24 hour setting. Again...very nice app! Works like a charm!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

My application just passed certification process and wanted to share it with you.
    This application is available to download for free on Samsung Gear Apps. Just search for "navi watch".

Imagine you are exploring new city or just going somewhere. To be most efficient you use Google Navigation to get to your desired place, but when you are in unknown area you need to look very often in your mobile to stay on path. During nice sunny day your screen brightness on mobile needs to be set on 110% to be able to see something on the screen and your battery discharges very fast(sounds familiar?).

Showing turn-by-turn navigation instructions directly on clock face eliminates the need to launch separate application every time when you look at the watch when navigating on your route. Turn-by-turn instruction with navigation image will be right there when screen turns on.

No need to waste battery on the mobile with screen on all time while looking for directions and keep your mobile in your hands all time, keep your mobile in safely in your pocket/bag and all navigation instructions are delivered instantly on your wrist.
    How does it work?

It is integrated with Google Navigation using its notifications and it is necessary to grant notification access to "D.M.A Navi Watch" to be able to see turn-by-turn navigation instructions from Google Navigation directly on your Gear.

After that just start navigating to desired place on your mobile using Google Navigation and follow the navigation instructions on your Gear.

When you are not using navigation, the clock displays date and current weather information with beautiful animated icons. Display, font, colours are all configurable from the application on your mobile.

--Version 1.2
    Here maps now works, but I don't recommend it. To get notifications on the watch, you need to make sure that the application is running in background.
    Second issue is that when the screen is off, Here maps does not send navigations instructions after some time and you need to wake you phone to get current navigation instructions.
    I'm working on fixing this, but hopefully Here maps will fix it on their side, I don't want to wake the phone automatically.

--Version 1.1.1(attached below)
    • Fixed vibation alert compatablity with latest Google Maps

--Version 1.1
    • Improved clock design
    • More and better navigation images
    • Added vibration before turn
    • Added display on before turn
    • Added battery icon
    • AM/PM or 24h time syncs with the device
    • Compatibility with Gear S
    • Share button - Don't forget to rate and share :good:

Link to web version of Samsung Apps: http://apps.samsung.com/mars/topApps/topAppsDetail.as?productId=000000884131

Questions? Comments? Bugs? Let me know what you think.
    You can also contact me directly on http://datanasov.com/contact
    Can you post here your updated apk please?
    Uploaded the APK on the first post.
    The app (navigation instructions ) worked again when I downgraded to 4.4.2 but not when I upgraded again to Lollipop 5.0. (Using Gear 1 and Note 3).

I confirm that meteo is shown properly, but navigation part is missing with maps and android lollipop

I have a feeling it's the Google Maps, it needs the code to communicate with the Gear. Can someone hack a Galaxy Google Maps apk so it installs on any other device? I'm sure that will solve the turn-by-turn on the clock.... Or Google can add the code to all the Maps... (I THINK - LOL)

I'm going to try to change my phone model on build.prop, go to Play Store and reinstall Maps and report back.
    EDIT: NO-GO on build.prop hack..
    953490-fard.jpg

Finally Samsung approved the app update.
    Here is the change log:
    Currently im working on more subtile display of the battery percentage, but yes BT can be added too(also configurable).
    Thank you all for feedback.

About the watch face and navigation, due to limitations on Tizen, currently it's not possible to have app that overlays on top of others(or I'm not aware of) like I did on my android application for the end of the world(search for "Doomsday - The last rain" on Google Play).

If it was separate app you would need to launch it every time when you look at your Gear during navigating on your route and that is what I'm trying to avoid, that is the reason why I added the weather widget. More options like app shortcuts or calendar events will be added in later versions.

Don't worry, I will think up something regarding custom watch faces.