[Q] App development environment...

Search This thread

bpm1234

Apr 3, 2015
Hi Folks,
I'm hoping to develop some gear fit apps but have no Idea which development environment to use. Can enyone help?
Many Thanks
BPM

fzammetti

Aug 21, 2008
www.zammetti.com
I spent a few days over my last vacation writing an app (really a watchface). I used Tizen Studio (which is Eclipse under a coat of customizations). Rayman96 says to use Android Studio but I'd be surprised if that works given that the GF2 runs Tizen, not Android.

You can write your app either as a native C++ apps or as a webapp. I opted for a webapp since (a) it has all the capabilities I needed and (b) my C/C++ skills are probably a bit rusty at this point. It all pretty much works like you'd expect. There's a certificate you need to install and Studio comes with (or, more precisely, will download for you) a tool to request it. After that you use the Devices tool it comes with to find your GF2 on the network and then just push it to the device, very easy.

One note though: as of a week or so ago there was no emulator and proper app templates for the GF2... what's there is all geared (hehe) towards round watches. So, what I wound up doing it writing my app and testing it in Firefox, got it working there and THEN sent it to the device and dealt with any (pretty minor) issues there. It's not the best workflow, but it works. As a webapp, it more or less works like you'd expect, though depending on what you're writing you'll need to use the Tizen APIs, which obviously you won't have on Firefox or Chrome, so you'll need to stub them out somehow or just develop on device only, which is a hassle (no debugging that I could see for one thing).

Also, word of advice: always uninstall your app before pushing an updated version. It's a hassle, but what I found is that if you don't you'll wind up hanging Tizen Studio and have to restart it, and often times the GF2 as well.