Fit 2 Watch Face Ideas...

Search This thread

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
It's great to see some growing interest in creating new watchface designs. I see new entries via he Gear app every week.

There seems to be:
- A focus on surfacing every possible function that the Fit 2 provides on most watchfaces.
This results in some really busy designs, driving the point size of the activity values to ever decreasing sizes. It's not just my aging eyes that have a hard time reading many of these values, but even when I am wearing glasses (I correct to 20/15) these values are nearly impossible to read when exercising. Sometimes displaying everything, because you can, is not the best design decision.

- A lack of functionality that allows the user to select what activity values are displayed. Maybe this is a limitation of Samsung's dev tool kit?? If so, then that explains it. If not, it sure would be great to disable values that I would never want to see, such as Water and Caffeine - even Calories is useless for me. I realize this is personal, but that's why I ask the question about customization.

As I said in another thread, maybe it's best for me to just get the dev tool kit and create something for myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: coal686

HereToStay

May 16, 2010
I agree. I finally hit that age where I need to wear readers for smaller text. None of the watch faces allowed me to view them without the readers. So, I did download the watch face designer and created my own. I have two that I go back and forth on. Both have large font for the time/steps/battery so I can see them while i'm exercising or just walking.

hakarune

Dec 19, 2009
Vancouver
I just released a minimal large font watchface free in the store right now, might be to your liking.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
There seems to be:
- A focus on surfacing every possible function that the Fit 2 provides on most watchfaces.
This results in some really busy designs, driving the point size of the activity values to ever decreasing sizes. It's not just my aging eyes that have a hard time reading many of these values, but even when I am wearing glasses (I correct to 20/15) these values are nearly impossible to read when exercising. Sometimes displaying everything, because you can, is not the best design decision.
Some of them are definitely too busy so I decided what I wanted to see on my watch face and then created my own (still pending Samsung approval to be listed in the store). It leans toward the small but more functional side.
There seems to be:
- A lack of functionality that allows the user to select what activity values are displayed. Maybe this is a limitation of Samsung's dev tool kit?? If so, then that explains it. If not, it sure would be great to disable values that I would never want to see, such as Water and Caffeine - even Calories is useless for me. I realize this is personal, but that's why I ask the question about customization..

I'm pretty new to this, but the Gear Watch Designer (GWD) doesn't allow one to select activities on the watch itself as far as I could find. The Samsung-made watch faces have the Stylize button to select colors and such and I can't even figure out if that's possible in GWD. One can't even select 12hr/24hr on a watchface, let alone activities. It would be a good idea though.
As I said in another thread, maybe it's best for me to just get the dev tool kit and create something for myself.
It's not really that hard to do. Samsung has a pretty good tutorial on their site. If you don't plan on submitting to their store, it's even easier.
Having said that, once I get Samsung to approve my current submission, I plan to make others (all free of course) and I wouldn't mind making one for you. What sort of concept do you have in mind? Activities needed, etc. This kind of stuff is a fun hobby for me and a way to give back to the XDA community.

billykxda

Mar 19, 2012
Coal:
Thanks for the offer. When I get some time, I am going to dive in myself. I might start with something like the Black Modern by minimin, but I'd make it more readable.

hakarune

Dec 19, 2009
Vancouver
Is that the "Minimal (24h) Watchface?
Yes, that one is mine. was my first watchface and I tried to make match the request of 2 posts I saw on a different thread before you guys posted.

I plan to make more and do requests after we finish moving to our new home. Not sure if anyone is actually buy this device though. My next watchface I'm going to see about adding a pseudo flashlight button.

burrzoo

Aug 10, 2007
I'm pretty new to this, but the Gear Watch Designer (GWD) doesn't allow one to select activities on the watch itself as far as I could find. The Samsung-made watch faces have the Stylize button to select colors and such and I can't even figure out if that's possible in GWD. One can't even select 12hr/24hr on a watch face, let alone activities. It would be a good idea though.

Hi Coal,
I've just started to make my own watch faces too for the GF2. Here is a comment from the Samsung Developers Forum on how to create a Stylize/change colors at least...

The first issue I've had is using an example as a template then activating the "Always on Display" view. When I uploaded my watchface to my GF2 it would cycle through the "layers" of my watch face then resort back to a pre-loaded Samsung watch face. So now, I just do not try and add that feature in... Good Luck! I may upload something after I practice a LOT more!
burrzoo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's great to see some growing interest in creating new watchface designs. I see new entries via he Gear app every week.

There seems to be:

- A lack of functionality that allows the user to select what activity values are displayed. Maybe this is a limitation of Samsung's dev tool kit?? If so, then that explains it. If not, it sure would be great to disable values that I would never want to see, such as Water and Caffeine - even Calories is useless for me. I realize this is personal, but that's why I ask the question about customization.

I agree. I finally hit that age where I need to wear readers for smaller text. None of the watch faces allowed me to view them without the readers. So, I did download the watch face designer and created my own. I have two that I go back and forth on. Both have large font for the time/steps/battery so I can see them while i'm exercising or just walking.
    I just released a minimal large font watchface free in the store right now, might be to your liking.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
    I'm pretty new to this, but the Gear Watch Designer (GWD) doesn't allow one to select activities on the watch itself as far as I could find. The Samsung-made watch faces have the Stylize button to select colors and such and I can't even figure out if that's possible in GWD. One can't even select 12hr/24hr on a watch face, let alone activities. It would be a good idea though.

Hi Coal,
    I've just started to make my own watch faces too for the GF2. Here is a comment from the Samsung Developers Forum on how to create a Stylize/change colors at least...

The first issue I've had is using an example as a template then activating the "Always on Display" view. When I uploaded my watchface to my GF2 it would cycle through the "layers" of my watch face then resort back to a pre-loaded Samsung watch face. So now, I just do not try and add that feature in... Good Luck! I may upload something after I practice a LOT more!
    burrzoo