Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Received mine today, some negative points so far....

Tip us?

thefunkygibbon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default Received mine today, some negative points so far....

Ok sorry to sound a percy pessimist but here are some little gripes so far.. I'm totally understanding that its still early days yet and software may well be improved over time and also I may well be being dim and not knowing where some settings are etc. If so then please by all means let me know!

* Cradle/dock VERY awkward to attach.
* Does nots seem to have the cool "bypass phone lockscreen if watch is attached" feature which was demo'd in I/O.
* Doesn't seem to be a way to open apps or do anything on the watch if you are not in a position to talk. (other than the list of "example" searches you can see if you don't talk to the watch quick enough.
* I don't seem to be getting vibration notifications
* doesn't seem to be a way of using your own photos for the photos watch face
* doesn't seem to be a way of editing the call reject text messages
* strap is very awkward to put on and for the heart rate monitor you need to have it on pretty tight which is tricky to do one handed with the kind of clasp it has.
* **the movement to wake the watch is a bit hit or miss. it doesnt seem to be just a matter of flicking the wrist or moving up to face.** (this is beginning to be a problem. it is pretty random if it wants to wake up from movement or not. cant work out if it dependant on which watchface or not). i reallllllllllly don't want to have to touch the watch to see notifications etc.
* to even entertain viewing it outside, you have to manually crank the brightness up to max else it is pretty much unreadable. and thats in the UK sunshine!!!

other than that, it seems to be a nice watch.

big_b0sss
Old
Thanks Meter 93
i feel like i just wasted 180 quid

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
GOOGLE NEXUS 4
AOKP
FAUX KERNEL

IPHONE 3GS>HTC WILDFIRE S>LG OPTIMUS 3D>IPHONE 4>XPERIA PLAY>GALAXY NEXUS>NEXUS 4>GALAXY S4>NEXUS 5>GALAXY NOTE 3

Alix8821
Old
(Last edited by Alix8821; 7th July 2014 at 03:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon View Post
Ok sorry to sound a percy pessimist but here are some little gripes so far.. I'm totally understanding that its still early days yet and software may well be improved over time and also I may well be being dim and not knowing where some settings are etc. If so then please by all means let me know!

* Cradle/dock VERY awkward to attach.
* Does nots seem to have the cool "bypass phone lockscreen if watch is attached" feature which was demo'd in I/O.
* Doesn't seem to be a way to open apps or do anything on the watch if you are not in a position to talk. (other than the list of "example" searches you can see if you don't talk to the watch quick enough.
* I don't seem to be getting vibration notifications
* doesn't seem to be a way of using your own photos for the photos watch face
* doesn't seem to be a way of editing the call reject text messages
* strap is very awkward to put on and for the heart rate monitor you need to have it on pretty tight which is tricky to do one handed with the kind of clasp it has.
* **the movement to wake the watch is a bit hit or miss. it doesnt seem to be just a matter of flicking the wrist or moving up to face.** (this is beginning to be a problem. it is pretty random if it wants to wake up from movement or not. cant work out if it dependant on which watchface or not). i reallllllllllly don't want to have to touch the watch to see notifications etc.
* to even entertain viewing it outside, you have to manually crank the brightness up to max else it is pretty much unreadable. and thats in the UK sunshine!!!

other than that, it seems to be a nice watch.
The lockscreeen unlock feature relies on Android L, not the watch.
The strap is replaceable. I have 2 Silicone ones from Amazon ready to go.

And this is Google Now on your wrist. Yes it's first generation and has plenty to improve upon. But it's essentially meant to be Google Now on your wrist.

Just be happy you got yours! Haha. I'm refreshing the UPS page like a mad man (had it delivered to work.... But I received the day off. Hahaha)

STILL way way better than that Tiezen BS Samsung tried out... Be positive!!

Brendo
Old
Thanks Meter 525

DONATE TO ME
(Keep in mind I have a gear 1 and love it)
Yep, cradle is annoying
Vibrate is very slight I hardly ever notice it
All apps need to support wear before they can be interacted with (contacts, emails, messages etc if using a non google product)
Strap clasp doesn't feel very secure

love how light it is
has google now integration which so far has been hit and miss 70/30

always on face is cool (except still emits light in dark rooms)
Samsung Galaxy S IV (i9505) | 16GB
[ROM: Stock KK 4.4.2 | XXUFNC9 | MODEM GSM/LTE: XXUEML4/XXUFMC9 | BL: PRE-KNOX | K: ADAM | RECOVERY: PhilZ]
DOMINATION | XPOSED

OTHER DEVICES:

Google Nexus 5 | 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (P7310) | 32Gb
[ROM: CM10.2 | CPU: 1.4ghz]
Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1 LTE (T525) | 16Gb

Pebble (Kickstarter)
Galaxy Gear (Null_)
Gear Live ()
Google Glass (Explorer)

--------
My Android Downloads

thefunkygibbon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix8821 View Post
The lockscreeen unlock feature relies on Android L, not the watch.
The strap is replaceable. I have 2 Silicone ones from Amazon ready to go.

And this is Google Now on your wrist. Yes it's first generation and has plenty to improve upon. But it's essentially meant to be Google Now on your wrist.

Just be happy you got yours! Haha. I'm refreshing the UPS page like a mad man (had it delivered to work.... But I received the day off. Hahaha)

STILL way way better than that Tiezen BS Samsung tried out... Be positive!!
yeah i had a feeling it might be a L feature. although its a bit annoying as i had the same feature with my Pebble using an app called Pebble Locker which basically bypassed the requirement for entering a pin etc if the watch was connected to the phone. So its defintely possible without L. hopefully someone will make a quick little app to do that

I will be ordering a metal braclet style strap sometime soon, like i had on my pebble. much more comfortable.

thefunkygibbon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo View Post
(Keep in mind I have a gear 1 and love it)
Yep, cradle is annoying
Vibrate is very slight I hardly ever notice it
All apps need to support wear before they can be interacted with (contacts, emails, messages etc if using a non google product)
Strap clasp doesn't feel very secure
love how light it is
has google now integration which so far has been hit and miss 70/30
always on face is cool (except still emits light in dark rooms)
yeah the vibrate is VERY slight. it took me a while to realize it was doing it. I hope they add an option to change the intensity of the vibration as I'm pretty sure it is capable of a more stronger vibe.

Alix8821
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon View Post
yeah i had a feeling it might be a L feature. although its a bit annoying as i had the same feature with my Pebble using an app called Pebble Locker which basically bypassed the requirement for entering a pin etc if the watch was connected to the phone. So its defintely possible without L. hopefully someone will make a quick little app to do that

I will be ordering a metal braclet style strap sometime soon, like i had on my pebble. much more comfortable.

Agreed. App will be out soon. I already have 5 exclusive Wear apps ready & waiting. Hahha.

I wish they gave us the nicer strap from Gear 2. Not this BS from Gear Fit... Oh well.

This is a starter watch... Moto 360 & after will only get better & better. As will the software. LOVE that Google is keeping control.

robber
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Coming from Gear Neo; initial observations:

1. Watch has more metal and feels more premium
2. Watch strap is larger, will accommodate larger wrists but the clasp is junk compared to the neos.
3. OS is a little overwhelming right now, which I actually think is good. After 30 minutes, I am still cant do much- Iam not concerned with "watch cant do" xxx yet.
4. I have had 2 OS updates in the first hr.
5. Gear Manager seems to be a little more straight forward than Wear Manager but it is too new to make a final call on that
6. Watch is fast! "Okay google, what is the capital of NY?" is recognized and answered immediately.
7. Interface is smooth as silk
Complete Smartphone History: Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, Sony T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G, EVO 3D, Epic Touch, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 3, LG G3

skitty
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I use skiplock to bypass the lock screen. Works with WiFi networks and Bluetooth devices

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gadgetgaz
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
[QUOTE=thefunkygibbon;53971094]Ok sorry to sound a percy pessimist but here are some little gripes so far.. I'm totally understanding that its still early days yet and software may well be improved over time and also I may well be being dim and not knowing where some settings are etc. If so then please by all means let me know!

Here's my opinions after receiving the watch today. See if you have the same thoughts, thefunkygibbon:
  1. I was quite pleased that it is not really big
  2. the set up process was easy enough but took quite a while - I think mainy due to downlaoding a firmware udate
  3. there's quite a learning curve in using this new OS
  4. the watch is a bit useless at the moment because it is constantly disconnecting so it is just a simple watch - I need to find out how to correct this
  5. I noticed the battery on my phone goes down fast when the watch is connected.
  6. It really sucks that there is no auto brightness
  7. the notifications work really well and look great with the picture backgrounds