Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,554 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

wifi?

Tip us?

ndemon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default wifi?

I've heard that when people disassembled this thing they found a WiFi chip in it so... if someone were to port aosp to this would I be able to use WiFi.

Linux: love at first click
Android: love at first tap

adiliyo
Old
Thanks Meter 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndemon View Post
I've heard that when people disassembled this thing they found a WiFi chip in it so... if someone were to port aosp to this would I be able to use WiFi.
i don't think it was the chip, they found an antenna lead or something of the sort. they weren't able to verify if the controller was on the mb
Phones: G3
Tablets: Nexus 7 32GB (2013)

gadgetgaz
Old
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiliyo View Post
i don't think it was the chip, they found an antenna lead or something of the sort. they weren't able to verify if the controller was on the mb
I would think the wifi chip is a given - it's inside the Snapdragon 400 SOC. Since the teardown identified an aerial I would have high hopes that wifi could be made to work.

adiliyo
Old
Thanks Meter 209
it's not necessarily a given, the modem portion of the 400 is optional from what i understand, and the wifi radio is integrated into the LTE modem, so if one is removed the other is removed with it. the usb 2.0 and BT controllers however are part of the base soc design.

it's very likely the sd400 soc they used is a stripped down version since there is no need for a radio of any kind for android wear aside from BT, and they would want to keep the part spend as low as possible.

it could be in there though, although i would imagine with that running as well the battery would probably suffer even more
Phones: G3
Tablets: Nexus 7 32GB (2013)