No registration required

Porting android on Gear S

OP XxCyberHackerxX

26th November 2014, 04:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

58 posts
Could it be possible?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XxCyberHackerxX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2014, 05:35 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 129

453 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCyberHackerxX

Could it be possible?

I too, would like to know the answer on this... I do know that Samsung offered original Gear owners the option to change their stock Android OS to Tizen.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-bri...ar-smartwatch/

The two OS's and their hardware are simular in many ways.

I haven't looked, but has anyone ported Android to the Gear 2?
26th November 2014, 05:47 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 6

16 posts
Given that the screen is arguably large enough and that we have all the cell hardware built in, I'd love to see a full android running on on the Gear S.
29th November 2014, 12:03 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

62 posts
There is already software that will port and Android app to Tizen. I believe it is $5,000 and mainly for larger developers. I would expect something similar to land in the freeware world sooner rather than later. They pack the apk with an Android runtime to make it work on Tizen. Not sure how well the current porting software works.
12th December 2014, 08:51 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
push push push
yes.. can't wait to c my gear s ported in android instead of Tizen!!!! pls help!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th December 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #6  
West Palm Beach,FL
Thanks Meter: 26

23 posts
More
ok...so not to bash anyones parade. But why would you want this?

I've had every version of the Gear and having Android on the original was painful. Battery life sucked, tethering was a major PITA and even after rooting it was "cool" but not usable for the average person. I've also gone through the Moto360 ( I had it for 5 days and returned it) and AndroidWear sucks beyond suck with some extra suck on the side. It can tell the heck out of time, its a great and sexy watch, that's it. I've had people watch me working ( I build custom pc's for a living), hear my phone get a text and watch me just glance at my watch and type a quick reply without having to stop what Im doing or reach for my phone. They instantly recognize how useful it is, using either full blown android or android wear...not so much. You dont know how stupid you look saying "ok google" until you see someone else do it.

On the flip side , theres alot of "smart" watches online, mainly from China and such that run android... maybe thats an option? Me personally, I was resistant to Tizen at first. But it works, it works well. Yeah there are some kinks here and there but all in all its ok.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cipherswitch For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread