No registration required

[Comparison] [Video] Samsung Gear S - LG G Watch R

OP ForumNinja

31st August 2014, 01:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Forum Editor
Thanks Meter: 67

168 posts

Hey Guys and Gals

Smartwatches have been gathering pace for the past few months, but with IFA 2014 just around the corner, we're bound to see a lot more hit the streets this coming season. We have just heard about the leaked specs for the LG G watch R and the Samsung Gear S, so lets take some time to compare the two devices. Both companies have taken a very different approach on their latest releases, LG opting to ditch the square screen in favor of a circular display, while Samsung have raised the bar of the traditional, and opted to use its curved screen technology. The practicality of both has yet to be decided, so comparing these two should be interesting.

So lets compare some of the devices features:
Connectivity:

The Gear S is the first smartwatch to feature full 3G connectivity, enabling it to function independently of its "parent" device. It's still unknown which devices will be compatible with the gear S, but with SIM support, this one has to go to the Gear S.

Display Size:

The G Watch R's circular display looks great, giving it a "classic" watch look, but this is at the expense of screen real estate. With the Gear S having approximately 44% greater screen size, the Gear S is the clear victor.

Display Shape:

Here is where the two companies have taken a very different approach. The circular display of the LG G Watch R gives it that retro look, but we're yet to see how practical these circular displays will be. Sure they look great as a watch, but will all of the smartwatch functions transfer well to the round display. The same could be said of the Gear S, its curved display is a first and how this will translate to everyday function is yet to be seen. Until we get some hands on, we will go on looks alone. Given both have a very "unique" look, we're going to have to call it a tie, as its down to personal preference.

Display PPI:

With both devices sporting ppi of over 200, they both should be reasonably sharp. The Gear S does jump slightly ahead with a ppi of 300, the G Watch R trailing behind with around 250 ppi Numbers don't lie, winner Gear S.

Software:

Here's the biggest difference between the two, one running Samsung's own Tizen OS and LG's on Google's Android Wear. Wears's superior voice command has always been better than Samsung's offering, but as the Gear S will be receiving an updated version, we're yet to see how well they will compare. The Tizen OS does allow direct voice calls with the smartwatch, something we're yet to see in Google's Android Wear. Until we get a hands on, this one is a draw.

Heart Rate Monitor:

LG has added a heart rate meter over its predecessor, so ticks for both.

Fitness Tracking:

Big thumbs up for both of these devices, they can track overall daily steps, or individual workouts. Great to keep track of distance traveled and calories burnt.

Water Resistance:

Both devices feature full IP67 water and dust resistance.

Processor, RAM:

Without more information, we're going to have to go from the raw numbers here. The G watch packs a 1.2GHz quad core processor, with the Samsung a 1GHz dual core. As LG lists the Snapdragon 400 chipset, its likely to be the same as the first G watch. Both devices have 512MB of RAM. From the numbers, winner G Watch R.

Thanks to TotalTechWar for the Vid

Looking forward to hearing members thoughts on how these devices compare, both have taken a very different approach on the smartwatch. who will be victorious?
Last edited by ForumNinja; 30th September 2014 at 11:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForumNinja For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st November 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #2  
Flag Northern Arizona
Thanks Meter: 74

472 posts
More
The only issue I have, okay issues I have, with Android Wear is that the devices do not have a speaker and so you're looking at the device for EVEERRYYYTHIINNNG ... I hate that. I want my watch to tell me itself, not to have to read a bunch of teeny-tiny text. I'm not everyone, of course.

One other thing I'd note is that I find Android to be clunky and ... yes, bloated. So, it requires a lot more processor power to run an Android Wear device than it does a Tizen smartwatch, and maybe because Samsung started from the ground up with Tizen on the Gears. Tizen is much lighter and quicker than Android ever was on the Galaxy Gear, so the processor doesn't have to be as powerful. Maybe it's all of those frilly animations Android Wear has ... which Samsung trades off for real processing tasks like phone calls, and S-Voice, and all of those wacky sensors.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbrownla For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread