Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,684 Members 48,142 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Loud headphones, buds, or BT

Tip us?

85gallon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 678
Default Loud headphones, buds, or BT

I am kind of hard of hearing.

I am looking for suggestions on the following for headphones/buds. I would prefer buds but over the ear is okay.

1. Loud. (Loud enough to use while I am mowing the lawn and weed eating) I listen to both music and podcasts.
2. Clear/Good sound.
3. Not too expensive.

First one that says "Beats" gets my AR-15 pulled on them. Though no one should make that suggestion since two of my requirements are that they sound good and are inexpensive.

I use the ones that came with my M8 for everyday use and I had a certain set that I used while mowing. (They were earbuds and came with one of my MOTO phones I think) I broke them the other day mowing when they caught on the handle of the pull start and ripped apart.

Anyway, is anyone in a similar situation that has suggestions for me?

Also, down the road, I would like to find some BT earbuds or headphones that fit the same criteria.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

vectron
Old
Thanks Meter 2,040
If you have seen a sticky with all my reviews (also the link in my signature), I reviewed a ton of headphones. When it comes to wired ones and on a budget, Xiaomi Pistons might be a good choice for you but wires will get in the way. Speaking from a personal experience when I'm working in my backyard, you need to go with a wireless headset. I absolutely enjoy using my LG HBS-730 because of all the controls under my fingers. HBS-800 has a better sound, but some of the controls are not as easy to access and 800 cost $90 while 730 is on sale for $43 now. Both were reviewed and in my list. 730 is a great choice under $50, you can get it loud enough, and all the controls are easy to access.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

obtuce
Old
Thanks Meter 8
It really depends on what you want to use them for.. Yes obviously listen to music but is that all?. Do you want a pair for watching movies with big sound or are they just for your way to work on the bus..

Perso, I bought the cheapest pair of sony buds and they work like a charm.

On a side note, if your hard at hearing why would the sound quality be a priority since your probably going to phase out the deeper hrz you would find on more expensive gear.....
The Following User Says Thank You to obtuce For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Note10.1Dude
Old
Thanks Meter 16
If somewhat hard of hearing, I think sound isolating headphones (either closed back ones that just keep sound out, or active noise cancellation ones) would be the way to go. In my experience, managing the signal-to-noise ratio is as important as total volume. Knock out the background noise, and the signal that you want to hear will be easier to hear at moderate volume.
The Following User Says Thank You to Note10.1Dude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maarten2001
Old
Thanks Meter 43

DONATE TO ME
Xiaomi Piston 2 have very good sound from what I have read. If you use Comply tips they will also isolate very well.
Xiaomi Piston IF Commemorative Edition (With more tips)
Xiaomi Piston Design 2.0 Earphones

They are both the same
My apps:
CMApps - CyanogenMod apps on all devices
The Following User Says Thank You to maarten2001 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

85gallon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectron View Post
If you have seen a sticky with all my reviews (also the link in my signature), I reviewed a ton of headphones. When it comes to wired ones and on a budget, Xiaomi Pistons might be a good choice for you but wires will get in the way. Speaking from a personal experience when I'm working in my backyard, you need to go with a wireless headset. I absolutely enjoy using my LG HBS-730 because of all the controls under my fingers. HBS-800 has a better sound, but some of the controls are not as easy to access and 800 cost $90 while 730 is on sale for $43 now. Both were reviewed and in my list. 730 is a great choice under $50, you can get it loud enough, and all the controls are easy to access.
Sorry for just now getting back here but I have been busy. Thanks for the replies. As recommended both by you and note10 I will check out the Pistons.

As for the LG BT buds, I picked up a pair a few months ago at the Verizon store. A lot of the employees in the stores had them on so I specifically asked about quality and volume. I was told they were great. So I bought them. They were the LG Pro. On sale for $59.

Well they sounded like crap. no volume and it was like I was listening through a tin can. So I took them back. Someone I know was working theat day and I told him my problem. And he was wearing a pair. So this guy leveled with me. The ones they are carrying are the second gen and they have been getting them all back. Just about everybody in the store that was wearing them had the first gens. Huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obtuce View Post
It really depends on what you want to use them for.. Yes obviously listen to music but is that all?. Do you want a pair for watching movies with big sound or are they just for your way to work on the bus..

Perso, I bought the cheapest pair of sony buds and they work like a charm.

On a side note, if your hard at hearing why would the sound quality be a priority since your probably going to phase out the deeper hrz you would find on more expensive gear.....
I will mostly use them around the house and yard work for both music and podcasts of talk shows.

As for wanting sound quality, I am hard of hearing, not deaf. I have losses in some upper ranges. And I also have tinnitus which is mainly why I need the louder volume. I still like deep rich bases and clear highs (at least the ones I can hear)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

anmoldash98
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Skullcandy

I don't like buying headphones that are too expensive. That's why I bough the Skullcandy Ink'd 2.0. They seem to be really solid headphones and even after 5 times in the washing machine were working for me.
They can go pretty loud and they're really clear audio quality. That is my recommendation

jRi0T68
Old
Thanks Meter 494
If volume is the biggest problem, something like a Fiio E11 ask amp, or even an E6, would help.

However, I fully agree you should first focus on isolation and clarity, thus salvaging whatever hearing you can. Foam tips are your friend.

Bluetooth will likely never be as loud or as clear as plugging directly in, also.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jRi0T68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shivam2004
Old
Thanks Meter 1
For me it is BT headphones.