Google Play Music Customizations – XDA Xposed Tuesday

If Cyanogen Inc. has its way, you won’t be forced into the Google … more

Sony Xperia Z3 Lollipop Framework Ported to CM12

Android 5.0 for Xperia has a unique look and feel. You don’t have to get a Sony … more

Do You Use Recents as a Task Switcher?

Google introduced a revamped Recents interface with Lollipop in the hopes of making it easier for … more

YU Yureka All-in-One ToolBox (CM12S Only)

This packed toolbox by XDA Senior Member gohel.vishal makes many useful tweaks … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Smartphone External Battery Pack Recommendations?

4th November 2012, 09:35 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

214 posts
I've been looking into an external battery pack for my phone as a backup, partly because the phones I am considering buying in the very near future don't have replaceable batteries, and partly because a replaceable or even extended battery doesn't really guarantee I can get through a day.

My biggest fear and reason for wanting this battery is if I have little to no charge in the evening/night and can't manage to get a decent amount charged. Having a battery backup would make me feel more secure knowing I have something to keep my phone going even if I somehow end up away from a charger for an extended period of time, however irrational such a situation may be.

As such, I have been looking and found there are 3 different types of battery packs.

1) Built in Lithium ion (most common)
2) Replaceable lithium ion (ibattz mojo is the only example I can find)
3) AA based charger.

Now charger type 1 seems to be common, but overall the battery will lose charging capacity over time, not be replaceable, and will need to be tossed.

Type 2 and 3, the battery can be easily replaced, especially on the cheap. However type 2 can be smaller and slimmer, while type 3 has the benefit of using LSD NiMH batteries. For those who don't know. LSD is Low Self-Discharge in this case. A lithium ion battery dies every week or two just sitting there, LSD NiMH batteries can hold up to 75 or 85% of their charge even after a year of just sitting there.

Overall type 3 seems the most ideal. However there is another element. Some chargers have cables built in, while others have just a standard usb plug. At first I thought the USB plug was annoying and a built in cable made more sense. However after some thought, I realized the built in cables added too much bulk, and I found keychain cables, which make more sense. My favorite example of this, is the mojo treble keychain, which seems to do everything and then some.

So basically now I am looking for the best AA based charger that doesn't have any usb cable built in, just a simple full usb plug. The closest I can find is by energizer, but it has the plug built in on a super short cable that looks as if it would put undue stress on my phone if I used it.

However if anyone has any other suggestions, or reasons to recommend something else, I'd greatly appreciate any input. At this time I just want to find the most versatile option. I would also love to hear other reasons for why people went with options other than AA rechargeables for their battery packs.

9th November 2012, 04:54 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkeo

Extend battery:
(1) first of all to see the instruction for use,
(2) choosing a charging performance good charger. Charging time, keep the battery clean, dry. Helpful hints: use a mobile phone to send a text message, playing games is the power consumption

Any reccommended battery pack for LG nitro???
11th November 2012, 12:48 AM |#3  
Flag Kuala Selangor
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Donate to Me
I use Belkin External Battery pack, reliable,
my other mates bought cheaper made in china battery pack but after a month or so, they are already in the bin, the battery is damaged.
11th November 2012, 03:18 AM |#4  

3 posts
Charger considerations
Hi,

I need advise for the following:

Charger A (Li-polymer battery) output : 5V, 1A
Charger B (Li-polymer battery) output : 5V, 500mA
Device input: 5V, 750mAH (Li-ion / Li-polymer)

When using Charger A, some people comment that it will limit the current of 750mAH for the device and the device's battery should be fine since both the charger and device are at 5V. However, some people comment that this will shorten the battery life of the device since it will perform a 'quick charge' using 1A.

When using Charger B, some people comment that the device will draw more current than it can deliver and causes it to heat up and reduces the charger's life. However, some people comment that Charger B will extend the battery life of the device since it performs a 'slow charge'.

I also read that USB pins on the charger denotes if the charger is a PC or a dedicated charger. If it is a PC, the device will limit the drawing current. If it is a dedicated charger, the device will draw more current to charge itself.

I am confused as to who is right and which charger should i be using.

Can someone enlighten me ?

Thank you very much.
30th December 2014, 03:34 AM |#5  

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyTeo

I use Belkin External Battery pack, reliable,
my other mates bought cheaper made in china battery pack but after a month or so, they are already in the bin, the battery is damaged.

80%-90% external battery packs are made in China at present. Some of the brands make good batteries as well.
8th January 2015, 02:25 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgan272

80%-90% external battery packs are made in China at present. Some of the brands make good batteries as well.

yes most external battery packs are made in china ,so i prefer to buy them from china supplier online ,
with better price and more convenient .belowed is the websites i often bought from ,which is better .

http://www.kingsbuying.com/consumer-...wer-banks.html

http://www.dx.com/s/power+bank

http://www.banggood.com/buy/Power-bank.html
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread