Post Reply

Best fitness band as an alarm?

OP QNBT

16th September 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #1  
QNBT's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 651
 
1,414 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
I'm looking for a fitness band which I'm primarily going to use as an silent alarm and secondary to track my steps. It should also be able to sync with Android.

I've heard that some fitness bands are really bad at waking one up as the vibration is too weak, thus I'm looking for some recommendations on fitness bands that does a great job waking one up!

Thanks!
16th September 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
30 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNBT

I'm looking for a fitness band which I'm primarily going to use as an silent alarm and secondary to track my steps. It should also be able to sync with Android.

I've heard that some fitness bands are really bad at waking one up as the vibration is too weak, thus I'm looking for some recommendations on fitness bands that does a great job waking one up!

Thanks!

I don't know if it's the "BEST" but I have some runner friends who have FitBits and I've heard them talking about this before. I didn't pay close attention to hear which fitness band they said was a weak alarm, but I know they've said the FitBit works well as an alarm. I don't know if you're close to a store that has these things to try on, but if you are, ask the associate if you can try them out and feel which is the most jolting.
16th September 2014, 10:36 PM   |  #3  
QNBT's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 651
 
1,414 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayermunich

I don't know if it's the "BEST" but I have some runner friends who have FitBits and I've heard them talking about this before. I didn't pay close attention to hear which fitness band they said was a weak alarm, but I know they've said the FitBit works well as an alarm. I don't know if you're close to a store that has these things to try on, but if you are, ask the associate if you can try them out and feel which is the most jolting.

Thanks for your input!
The thing is, I would probably have to fall asleep with one to actually know if it could easily wake me up from the vibration. That's why I thought it would help asking people who might be experienced with one.
17th September 2014, 11:24 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
30 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNBT

Thanks for your input!
The thing is, I would probably have to fall asleep with one to actually know if it could easily wake me up from the vibration. That's why I thought it would help asking people who might be experienced with one.

Yeah I hear you. Trying them on in a store is one thing but napping on the couch is another matter altogether. I even tried to do a bit of searching on google for this but came up short. Best bet might be to check some running blogs or the one particular reviewer I always used to recommend to people:

dcrainmaker.com
The Following User Says Thank You to bayermunich For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th September 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #5  
QNBT's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 651
 
1,414 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayermunich

Yeah I hear you. Trying them on in a store is one thing but napping on the couch is another matter altogether. I even tried to do a bit of searching on google for this but came up short. Best bet might be to check some running blogs or the one particular reviewer I always used to recommend to people:

dcrainmaker.com

Thanks, I'll check it out!
20th September 2014, 01:12 AM   |  #6  
snapper.fishes's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 280
 
1,608 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNBT

Thanks for your input!
The thing is, I would probably have to fall asleep with one to actually know if it could easily wake me up from the vibration. That's why I thought it would help asking people who might be experienced with one.

Note that you don't necessarily have to get the fitbit force or the fitbit flex to use as an alarm. The fitbit one also comes with a wrist strap for night time use. In fact, I would recommend getting the fitbit one instead of the strap versions unless if you specifically want a strap version because both the Force and Flex are known to have issues.
20th September 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #7  
QNBT's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 651
 
1,414 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper.fishes

Note that you don't necessarily have to get the fitbit force or the fitbit flex to use as an alarm. The fitbit one also comes with a wrist strap for night time use. In fact, I would recommend getting the fitbit one instead of the strap versions unless if you specifically want a strap version because both the Force and Flex are known to have issues.

Thanks for the heads up! I specifically want a strap because of its convenience, maybe I should stay out of fitbit then? I'm leaning towards Jawbone as of now, still undecided. If anyone have a suggestion of another forum created for outdoors people, feel free to share them.

Edit: so I orded the Jawbone Up24, gonna pick it up tomorrow and see if it will work.
Last edited by QNBT; 22nd September 2014 at 02:42 AM.
14th October 2014, 04:41 AM   |  #8  
Xaeons's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Manila, PH
Thanks Meter: 31
 
181 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
@QNBT
Hi I'm curious about this as well, my gf is traumatized by my alarm clock and I wanted to try out some silent alarms. Can you share your experience with the jawbone? Was looking at the zband but I'm having second thoughts..
14th October 2014, 12:13 PM   |  #9  
QNBT's Avatar
OP Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 651
 
1,414 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeons

@QNBT
Hi I'm curious about this as well, my gf is traumatized by my alarm clock and I wanted to try out some silent alarms. Can you share your experience with the jawbone? Was looking at the zband but I'm having second thoughts..

If you're ONLY going to use it as an alarm clock/sleep tracker, then you should consider this product. You're able to check your infographics on the app easily and they're summarized pretty neatly. You can also opt for a weekly recap which will be sent to your inbox (see attached image).
With the new software update you're able to get "up to 14 days" battery. Since I kinda only used it for sleep tracking/alarm it does surpass at least 10 days. I've only used it for about 2 weeks myself, and I recharged it before the battery went out, thus I'm not able to confirm 14 days of usage without recharge. I still think 10 - 12 days is good, previously the battery was marketed as only lasting 7 days (again, not able to confirm as I updated my device on the second day), it takes really really fast to recharge anyways.

However, a lot of things outside that scope is broken. Reminder alarms (used for bedtime reminder etc.) will still go off if you go to bed earlier, even with "sleep mode" (sleep tracking mode) set to on, which is kinda ironic as it will wake you up instead. The step counter out of the box is insanely inaccurate, it even counts your steps when you're asleep, sometimes I got over 300 steps after waking up. You are able to calibrate it, but since I don't care too much for it I haven't done that yet. As for food tracking, according to the forum people seem to think it lacks functionalities, or maybe they're just greedy (haven't used this function at all).

People have also been asking for vibration(patterns) upon receiving notifications for over a year. While the forum admin has responded that it was a "great idea" (paraphrased), there has been no more news on that.

To recap, great battery life, work great as an alarm/sleep tracker, the rest of its feature is "ok".

You can check out other screenshots on their website, but since they don't show off the weekly recap I though I'd include a screenshot of it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	65
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	2970730  
Last edited by QNBT; 14th October 2014 at 12:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to QNBT For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th October 2014, 01:03 PM   |  #10  
Xaeons's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Manila, PH
Thanks Meter: 31
 
181 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Thank you for your prompt reply. Indeed I only intend to use it as a silent alarm clock. Another question though, would you say you are a deep sleeper? How strong is the vibration and is it able to wake you up gently as opposed to abruptly?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Accessories by ThreadRank