FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Review of Zerolemon Note 4 tempered glass screen protector w/lots of pics!!!

3,341 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,588

By vectron, XDA Ad-Free Senior Member on 8th November 2014, 05:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a review of ZeroLemon Note 4 tempered glass screen protector. http://zerolemon.com/product/zerolem...ote-4-full-hd/

To be honest, I wasn't planning to create a separate review thread for this tempered glass protector after I confirmed that it has "halo" effect along the edges where it didn't stick to the screen of Note 4. As most of you already aware, Note 4 screen is slightly curved toward the edges and as a result a thicker screen protector, such as tempered glass, will not be able to flex and stick to that part of the screen. As a matter of fact, even some of the film screen protectors have problem with that, and I see some manufacturers pre-cutting them to cover only the display portion of the screen. Hopefully a robust solution will be available soon, but what do we do in a meantime?

I thought I will wait and see until a week after getting my Note 4 I discovered a small hairline scratch on a screen of my brand spanking new phone with Gorilla 3 glass. That quickly changed my mind and I figured to apply Zerolemon tempered glass protector while I'm waiting for a better solution. I didn't buy it and received it as a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion about it. But for $8.99 I think it worth every penny even as a temporary solution. Here is why.

Beside the low price, this is actually high quality tempered glass protector offering a typical 9H hardness rating, rounded edges, high glass clarity like original display, the same touch screen sensitivity for both finger touch and s-pen touch, and oleophobic coating to minimize fingerprints (which actually works quite well). And even so it has the same feeling like an original display glass, it feels less slippery when sliding your finger. The only problem, it doesn't stick to the edges and you can see this so called "halo" effect which is visible only with a black background. I demonstrated in my pictures below how it looks in both cases.

Also, I had no problem using it with my UAG Maverick case where the top of the glass protector doesn't even touch the bumper of the case, and the bottom of the glass protector goes underneath of it. I'm typically very anal about screen protector installation and will not allow a single speck of dust, so halo effect is not acceptable by my standards. But to be honest I had this screen protector since yesterday and totally forgot about those edges while enjoying a bit more of carefree tossing of my phone in the pocket.

Oh, and forgot to mention the most important part - installation took literally less than a minute. I used included alcohol wipe to clean the screen. Then, removed a protective film from a "sticky" part of the glass and laid it down pushing air bubbles out with my thumb after application. Of course, make sure you are working in dust-free area and have you hands washed with soap before starting. Though no specific instruction was included with this protector, if you don't have previous experience, just look up videos on YT.

Here are the pictures.

Unboxing, before install

After the install

With UAG case installed

With screen on (white and black background)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vectron Ad-Free

8th November 2014, 05:46 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,024

More
I have the UAG MAVERICK also and mine went under the case on the top and bottom left corners. I guess it's the way you align it. Either way it's a nice piece of glass but the huge halo and going under the case on the corners I did not like. So I took it off and put the xtreme Spartan on. Smaller than the LG but less halo and doesn't go under case. So I am keeping that one on until something better comes along.

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 4!
8th November 2014, 05:52 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 13

More

Here is the pic I took of mine right after I installed it today. I am, like you, happy with the protector otherwise. The halo is ginormous, even by my standards (I'm not extremely picky) and I was worried maybe my screen curve was more than everybody elses'. But, seeing your, I guess not. The help around the home button, for me, is particularly disconcerting. Anyhow, I'm using it despite the ugly halo, until we can get some curved glass. I do like the fact that it covers almost the whole screen. It's smooth and high quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to k.babymamma For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k.babymamma Ad-Free
8th November 2014, 06:26 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,024

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.babymamma

Here is the pic I took of mine right after I installed it today. I am, like you, happy with the protector otherwise. The halo is ginormous, even by my standards (I'm not extremely picky) and I was worried maybe my screen curve was more than everybody elses'. But, seeing your, I guess not. The help around the home button, for me, is particularly disconcerting. Anyhow, I'm using it despite the ugly halo, until we can get some curved glass. I do like the fact that it covers almost the whole screen. It's smooth and high quality.

That's allot of halo

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 4!
8th November 2014, 06:46 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I know,right? Lol I can get it to go out with my finger depresssing, but it comes right back when I lift up my finger. It's even all the way around so maybe my screen is extra curvy?
26th February 2015, 05:30 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Wow massive halo my spigen has none think I'll stick to the plastic
26th February 2015, 08:05 PM |#7  
Flag Milwaukee suburbia
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.babymamma

Holy cow. Mine is nowhere near that size; even vectron has a slightly larger halo than mine. I'm guessing I really just managed to hit the sweet spot, because my halo is pretty thin, and frankly, since my Verus has a lip, I'm not too worried. It is, after all, really just security for if it somehow lands face first, and the edges aren't important if that happens.

I still can't believe they haven't figured out how to deal with the curve, though. If our screen is glass and curved, why can't they manufacture a tempered glass piece that has a slight curve as well? Seems ridiculous to me.

Now, if I can just find a dock that will allow a Verus case....

EDIT: Try putting something very heavy on the front of your phone overnight to see if that might finally make it adhere, for those who have this problem? I know I tried that with my old Note 2, when I accidentally bent a corner up (and yes, apparently it is possible to do so), and so I set a thick glass skull on the corner overnight. It helped quite a bit, actually. It didn't completely go flat, but it definitely lessened the problem.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)