Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,207 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Apple vs Android - Why Did You Pick Who Your Pick?

Tip us?

Benjamin150
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Default Apple vs Android - Why Did You Pick Who Your Pick?

So, with all the new tech announced and released the last couple of weeks, it gave me an idea to do something a bit different and rather than just covering the devices, actually getting YOUR input on why you guys like Android over iPhone and vice-versa after actually be asked and not random arguments in YouTube comments. Be sure to leave a comment with your reasoning behind what you pick whilst keeping yourself from being completely biased if you can.
II Signature made by Me II II Rooted Galaxy Nexus II
IIAOKP B.19 w/ LeanKernel and Black Exodus Theme v3.5II
II Want Custom Wallpapers for Your Nexus? Follow Me!II
II Link to my work: http://tinypic.com/BenLand150 II

Waltee
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I had an iPhone and switched over to Android and probably won't ever go back. The amount of customisation and mods you can make on Android is incredible, plus if you're not incredibly tech savvy even a custom ROM can give someone everything they'd want in a phone in a way that a jailbroken iPhone just never could for me,
Just wish there was a public release of something I came across a few months ago called "Cider for Android" which let iOS apps run natively on Android. Would be cool to have the option to have both kinds of apps on a single device.

doctor_droid
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,758
Android ...
I would try apple only when it leaves the motor cycle segment and comes back to mobile segment..
Nokia 1100 > Nokia 6600 > Nokia N72 > Nokia n95 > Nokia N86 > Htc Touch > Xperia U > Galaxy S2Plus > Galaxy S2 > Galaxy Grand Duos > NEXUS 5

Feel FREE to pm me in case u need technical support (not developer level ) or want any suggestion.

Burt Macklin, FBI
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I love everything you can do on an Android that you can't on an iPhone. Customizations, rooting, custom ROMS, being free from iTunes, etc.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using XDA Free mobile app

blade2k11
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Well I came back to Apple

Well my first smartphone was 3 GS jailbroken. Ran good, but customization sucked, even with cydia. So got a Desire HD, and Played around with different ROMS. It was cool for a while, then got Samsung Note, and Note 2. they were both ok, but not that many ROMs for them. So when I got sick of that, went back to an iPhone 5. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Functionality is the main reason I went back I guess, asa with Android, if you customized it you had to almost always give something up.
Work from Home by opening this link:

http://JobandPay.com/?id=205839
Make 300-1500$ starting today!

doctor_droid
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade2k11 View Post
Well my first smartphone was 3 GS jailbroken. Ran good, but customization sucked, even with cydia. So got a Desire HD, and Played around with different ROMS. It was cool for a while, then got Samsung Note, and Note 2. they were both ok, but not that many ROMs for them. So when I got sick of that, went back to an iPhone 5. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Functionality is the main reason I went back I guess, asa with Android, if you customized it you had to almost always give something up.
U didnt tried a nexus ?

Root + xposed is only thing needed to achieve extreme customization without giving up anything...

I would try a iphone 5s if my dad allows me to exchange my nexus 5 wid it....lol
Nokia 1100 > Nokia 6600 > Nokia N72 > Nokia n95 > Nokia N86 > Htc Touch > Xperia U > Galaxy S2Plus > Galaxy S2 > Galaxy Grand Duos > NEXUS 5

Feel FREE to pm me in case u need technical support (not developer level ) or want any suggestion.

gremtu1
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Chose android because there's so much more you can do with it it seems. Like when it comes to customization. You can choose different ROMs, kernals, etc. Just seem to have more freedom on android.

Planterz
Old
Thanks Meter 188
Originally I went with Android simply because I didn't like Apple/iTunes. I've always preferred PCs, and iTunes is one of the worst programs created (along with Real Player and Windows Vista). It wasn't until later on I learned the limitations of iOS outside of jailbreaking, short battery life, lack of 3rd party keyboards, and other such things. As time went on, I was increasingly happy I went with Android. I had LTE while everybody's iPhones topped out at 14.4Mb/s 3G. Expanding storage cost way less (and still does). Apple kickstarted the smartphone market; they weren't the first, but they were the ones that spurred on the revolution. But refusing to evolve outside their own little box that they prided themselves on thinking outside of made them fall way behind.

Obviously, many people will still and always love iPhones. The larger screens of the 6 and 6 Plus are obvious confessions by Apple that they've had their head up their collective ass for years. 4 years ago Steve Jobs said nobody will buy a phone that big (referring to the "huge" 4.3" screen of the Motorola Droid X). Samsung proved him wrong 3 years ago with the Galaxy S2, then the Note series, and have been proving him wrong ever since.

Frankly, I think iOS is just fine as an operating system. Is it the OS for me? Hell no. But I can't deny that it's well designed, well rounded, and nobody can deny the apps and games available for it. And if I had to, I could "get by" with an iPhone, since it will do pretty much anything I would want a smartphone to do throughout my day. But I also know I'd grow bored with it, and frustrated that I can't modify/customize/optimize it like I can an Android phone. And I'd never actually pay for an iPhone, unless it was an absurdly good deal (and I'd probably resell it anyway).
Relax, go nutz!

braddock84
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default android

I went with Android over apple because my friend had just got the new Galaxy Nexus back in 2011 and he was talking about how badass it was and how you could root it and unlock it so after I saw his I had to get my own and I also was told that you cant install roms on Apple phones.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade2k11 View Post
what is a 3GS? is that a Nexus S?

Monotoko
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddock84 View Post
what is a 3GS? is that a Nexus S?
iPhone 3GS I imagine, one of these things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_3GS

Tags
apple watch