Cranberry juice

Search This thread

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
What would happen to my phone if I completely submerged it in cranberry juice? I'm trying to pass a Chem class and the professor wants me to do something impressive with my phone since he sees me on it all the time. I showed him Cyanogenmod and the like but he's not fazed. He's like, 75 and doesn't understand computers. I don't know about the electrical capacitance of berry juice so I was wondering if I put my myTouch 4G Slide in a clear bucket of cranberry juice whether or not it would still be on while in the juice.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
What would happen to my phone if I completely submerged it in cranberry juice? I'm trying to pass a Chem class and the professor wants me to do something impressive with my phone since he sees me on it all the time. I showed him Cyanogenmod and the like but he's not fazed. He's like, 75 and doesn't understand computers. I don't know about the electrical capacitance of berry juice so I was wondering if I put my myTouch 4G Slide in a clear bucket of cranberry juice whether or not it would still be on while in the juice.

You would fry your phone. Nothing you do will be able to impress him as his point is that you shouldn’t be on it in class. Mainly with that device. There is not alot you can do. Maybe remotely login to your home pc. Thats about it. Also Showing him CM is not really impressive. They are turning into the running joke of the android world.

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
You would fry your phone. Nothing you do will be able to impress him as his point is that you shouldn’t be on it in class. Mainly with that device. There is not alot you can do. Maybe remotely login to your home pc. Thats about it. Also Showing him CM is not really impressive. They are turning into the running joke of the android world.

Well, isn't that a little discouraging?

Maybe I could submerge it in colored mineral oil since it doesn't conduct electricity? I saw some PCs submerged in mineral oil on Youtube.

And how is CM the "running joke of the Android world"? What are you using, MIUI? Or homebrew?

And he honestly doesn't care that I'm on it. He says, "It's your grade. Do what you want." and I have an A+ anyway. He just wants me to do something cool.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Well, isn't that a little discouraging?

Maybe I could submerge it in colored mineral oil since it doesn't conduct electricity? I saw some PCs submerged in mineral oil on Youtube.

And how is CM the "running joke of the Android world"? What are you using, MIUI? Or homebrew?

And he honestly doesn't care that I'm on it. He says, "It's your grade. Do what you want." and I have an A+ anyway. He just wants me to do something cool.
Have you been watching the tech news about CM? Check it out and you will know. No I don't use miui they are right there with cm.

As for something cool I guess you could try a remote login to your pc to recover missing homework or something of that nature.

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Have you been watching the tech news about CM? Check it out and you will know. No I don't use miui they are right there with cm.

As for something cool I guess you could try a remote login to your pc to recover missing homework or something of that nature.

I mean, yes, CM has screwed up a little in the past few months, I agree, and the weird shenanigans with OnePlus were a little sketch, but I don't think it's worth criticising.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
I mean, yes, CM has screwed up a little in the past few months, I agree, and the weird shenanigans with OnePlus were a little sketch, but I don't think it's worth criticising.

Have you seen their latest of wanting to take android away from Google? Do they not realize that if Google stopped pushing code to aosp they would die off completely. Then adding in untested code that causes tons of issues, forcing some of their developers to close source their apps so they can make money off of it. Yeah they deserve it. To the point that main aosp based roms have stopped using their sources and are ditching their theme manager.

justmpm

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 22, 2010
Jumpston Junction

Assuming you have done a unit on electrochemistry....why not make a battery to charge your phone.

Reactions: SiberianLeopard

MiyagiSan

Sep 18, 2014

You could "do something impressive" within the bounds of Chemistry. Dunking a phone in cranberry juice (or any other flavour) isn't impressive at all. I see someone already suggested making a battery...

Jan 30, 2015
Please do not put your perfectly good phone in cranberry juice.... please.
Instead do this....
Get an old charging cable you don't care about (a lot cheaper to destroy)....
and show you can charge your phone with a make-shift battery.
Whatever battery you make I recommend using a diode connected transistor or some kind of a limiter to limit current to your phone so you don't burn it out incase you make some awesome kind of a bad ass battery.
That will impress your professor.

Tips:
You can make a fruit battery out of:
Four lemons (the bigger and juicier the better)
Four pennies
Five zinc-galvanized nails
Five sets of alligator clips
but I'm not sure if the mA would be enough to charge your phone but it will be enough to power a small LED.

justmpm

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 22, 2010
Jumpston Junction
Instead do this....
Whatever battery you make I recommend using a diode connected transistor or some kind of a limiter to limit current to your phone so you don't burn it out incase you make some awesome kind of a bad ass battery.

Tips:
Four pennies
but I'm not sure if the mA would be enough to charge your phone but it will be enough to power a small LED.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of a fruit battery, more like an old school voltaic pile made out of coins (like pennies) or metal disks from the hardware store. Depending on which metals and electrolyte you use, you should get 0.5V to 1V per "cell". The diode transistor is a super good idea, and you probably will need a voltmeter to determine how many volts your battery is producing and you should also be able to determine the mAmp being produced. Look at the specs of your the charger for your device and just make sure you don't go over the current or voltage specs. My guess is that you will not be able to generate enough current to fully charge your device, so I would leave it off and just try and get the "battery charging" display to light up for a bit. If you go down this route, be prepared to answer some "chemistry" teacher type questions. The more you know the more impressed your teacher will be.

Reactions: SiberianLeopard

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Yeah, I wasn't thinking of a fruit battery, more like an old school voltaic pile made out of coins (like pennies) or metal disks from the hardware store. Depending on which metals and electrolyte you use, you should get 0.5V to 1V per "cell". The diode transistor is a super good idea, and you probably will need a voltmeter to determine how many volts your battery is producing and you should also be able to determine the mAmp being produced. Look at the specs of your the charger for your device and just make sure you don't go over the current or voltage specs. My guess is that you will not be able to generate enough current to fully charge your device, so I would leave it off and just try and get the "battery charging" display to light up for a bit. If you go down this route, be prepared to answer some "chemistry" teacher type questions. The more you know the more impressed your teacher will be.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The fruit trick is used too often and has lost its value.

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Instead do this....

Tips:
Four pennies

I bought a new phone yesterday, so my old myTouch will be fine to destroy just in case. The camera doesn't work, neither does the flash, or certain other things. I bought it on Amazon for $50.

justmpm

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 22, 2010
Jumpston Junction
That's exactly what I was thinking. The fruit trick is used too often and has lost its value.

Well if you have voltmeter you can set up your pile and try different electorlytes. Typically the stronger the acid and saltier it is the better. So you can try salt water, distilled vinegar, and salt added to distilled vinegar as your electrolytes and record the voltage/cell for each electrolyte...make a nice table, build your (probably 5V battery) explaining how the table helped you choose what kind to build, make a pretty picture displaying the chemistry involved and badda bing...you are done :cool:

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Well if you have voltmeter you can set up your pile and try different electorlytes. Typically the stronger the acid and saltier it is the better. So you can try salt water, distilled vinegar, and salt added to distilled vinegar as your electrolytes and record the voltage/cell for each electrolyte...make a nice table, build your (probably 5V battery) explaining how the table helped you choose what kind to build, make a pretty picture displaying the chemistry involved and badda bing...you are done :cool:

That's a great idea. I don't have a working camera so I can't take pictures of the process to show you guys...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Assuming you have done a unit on electrochemistry....why not make a battery to charge your phone.
    Instead do this....

Tips:
    Four pennies