[Guide][Verizon LG G Vista] Unlock bootloader / flash CWM Recovery

40 posts
Thanks Meter: 75
By scottgl9, Member on 11th June 2015, 05:24 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
This is a guide on how to boot your Verizon LG G Vista (vs880) into fastboot mode, unlock the bootloader, and flash CWM recovery. This device will now be open to flashing custom roms based on this discovery! I've verified this on my Verizon LG G Vista running 4.4.2:

This guide requires that you have first rooted your device, so google 'Root LG G Vista' if your device is not yet rooted.

1. Backup your current LAF partition in case you'd like to boot to LG download mode in the future (instead of fastboot):
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img

2. In order to boot your LG G Vista into fastboot mode, we need to zero out the LAF partition:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf

3. Now you will be able to boot into fastboot mode! Power off your device. Now while holding volume up key, attach usb cable to phone, and plug into your computer. The phone will boot into fastboot mode (It will say DOWNLOAD MODE at the top, but it should now say 'fastboot processing commands')

4. Now you are ready to unlock your LG G vista! Using the fastboot tool on your computer, run the command 'fastboot oem unlock'. The bootloader will now be unlocked.

5. Verify bootloader is unlocked by removing the battery from your phone, and booting back into fastboot mode. Now run the command 'fastboot getvar all'. You should now see the following: 'Unlocked: Yes'

6.In order to flash Philz CWM recovery, boot into fastboot mode, and run the command 'fastboot flash recovery vs880_cwm_recovery.img' with the file attached to this thread.

Congrats! Your Verizon LG G Vista is unlocked with Philz CWM Recovery, and it is now possible to develop custom roms for the Verizon LG G Vista.

- scottgl9
Attached Files
File Type: zip - [Click for QR Code] (10.02 MB, 1070 views)
Last edited by scottgl9; 11th June 2015 at 05:35 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scottgl9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2015, 04:14 AM |#2  
Flag San Benito
Thanks Meter: 1
U sir r the man!!!!
I was hesitant on getting one of these for the reason that there was no development for it, but now this is a game changer. Just a question though, will unlocking boot loader still format/delete all my data?
15th June 2015, 11:21 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thumbs up
Originally Posted by elivaldez84

I was hesitant on getting one of these for the reason that there was no development for it, but now this is a game changer. Just a question though, will unlocking boot loader still format/delete all my data?

Since I own this phone and feel like is one of the best bang for your buck large screen phones for Verizon, I really hope my discovery will lead to ROM development. To answer your question, all of your data will remain in tact. The only thing that changes is that you will now have full fastboot access when booting into download mode, instead of the heavily restricted LG software recovery.

This phone actually has no security restrictions from what I've seen, which is a great change of pace from for example, the LG Intuition which is quite heavily locked down. From my research on this phone, it seems to have specs most similar to the LG G2 mini, main difference of course is the screen size.
16th June 2015, 12:06 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 277
I hope it leads to Rom development as well. Can this process be done on the AT&T version as well, or Verizon only?

Sent from my LG-D631 using XDA Free mobile app
16th June 2015, 05:01 AM |#5  
OP Member
After doing some further research, found out that these are the variations of the LG G Vista:
VS880, LG-D631, and LG GX2 (F430L)

Here is a utility which flashes the Philz CWM recovery for the LG GX2 F430L (LG G Vista):

UPDATE: Flashed the Philz CWM recovery using this tool (LGRecovery_430L.apk), and rebooted to recovery. It is fully functional! This application works perfectly on my Verizon LG G Vista.
Attached Files
File Type: apk LGRecovery_F430L.apk - [Click for QR Code] (10.48 MB, 314 views)
Last edited by scottgl9; 16th June 2015 at 05:10 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scottgl9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2015, 01:01 PM |#6  
Flag Kyiv.UA
Thanks Meter: 22
Upgrade Device Software for the LG G Vista (D631)

Update summary

AT&T released a software update for the LG G Vista (D631) on July 1, 2015. This update will be pushed to customers via the Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) over Wi-Fi only.

What's changing?

This software update includes:

Add McAfee Factory Reset Protection
Update to Android 5.0.2

What to expect after the update

Although there should be no impacts to settings or data, we recommend that you back up your media files to an SD card, a PC, or using a favorite application (from the Play Store), prior to upgrading the software.

How to update

Ensure your phone is sufficiently charged.
Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
Tap Settings from application tray or pull down menu.
Tap General in the top right corner.
Tap About phone.
Tap Update Center > Software Update, and then follow subsequent prompts.

Verifying the update

Tap Settings from application tray or pull down menu.
Tap About phone.
Tap Software Information.
The following information displays:
Android Version: 5.0.2
Software Version: D63120d
Baseband Version: MPSS.DI.2.0.1.c1.15-00050-M8926DAAAANAZM-1.20488.1
Kernel Version: 3.4.0+
Build#: LRX22G
File Size: 764MB
The Following User Says Thank You to viven134-2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th August 2015, 03:14 PM |#7  
Flag Kaunas
Thanks Meter: 13
I have LG F430L (LG G Vista) and LGRecovery_F430l.apk not working, my phone rooted.
19th August 2015, 10:53 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6
can someone upload laf.img for lg vs880 4.4.2
i hv lost it and cant find anywere
i need to get the download mode for rooting
19th August 2015, 02:09 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1
I personally prefer TWRP, but nonetheless a great post.
appreciate your work!
26th October 2015, 08:58 AM |#10  
Flag Wichita Falls
Thanks Meter: 8
Can Someone Show me how to Root my Verizon LG Vista v880 Verion 5.1.1 im so lost and dont know where to look i tryed all them prtty much keep getting failed .....
31st October 2015, 05:48 AM |#11  
Flag Muncie, IN
Thanks Meter: 37
I'm on a VS880, and I got to step two, and if I run the command in adb shell on my computer it doesn't return anything, but if I do it on my phone (android terminal) it says it can't find some file, and when I go to "download" or fastboot it shows firmware update page.... I just downgraded to 10B? Please help what's wrong? :/

Edit: got it, sorry
Last edited by lancespahr; 2nd November 2015 at 05:55 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

cwm, fastboot, lg g vista, unlock, vs880

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread