[Q] In way over my head regarding a Android stick (Mk809III)

Search This thread

Christina1992

Aug 30, 2014
Hi guys

First of all, I am not a programmer.. Not even very tech savyy, so if "ordinary" people isn't allowed to ask around here, I apologize. I would also like to mention that english isn't my primary language, so also please forgive me for my bad english.
My problem is that I am in wayyy over my head. I bought an android (hdmi)stick over Ebay and actually kind of expected it to be plug and play. After a bit of playing around and reading up on it I realize that this is far from the case.

The item is an Azurill MK809III

I have the following problems:

When I am trying to use apps that requires a rooted device, they say it isn't rooted. When trying to use apps that doesn't allow rooted devices, the app says it is. I am quite convinced that it is, but I don't know why various apps (also apps which only purpose is to check for root) says it isn't. I would, solely for that reason like to find another (still mediacenter-friendly) rom.
I also find the movies kind of choppy. According to various posts on the internet, it's because of a problem in the way the stock "kernel" handles things. I've read various recommendations of which alternative kernel that should be used. I don't know if another rom will solve this problem also?

The problem is that it's a JUNGLE out there. I honestly don't know how to flash a rom, and when reading up on it it seems VERY complicated. I know from earlier escapades that tech-things often look more complicated in writing, but what worries me the most is that all the guides that I found includes some kind of code.. Is that Linux? And does that mean that I need to have a computer running Linux to do this?

I am a totally virgin when it comes to tampering with things on this level.. I honestly thought it would be a nice "out of the box" alternative to a Chromecast, but boy was I wrong.

Can anyone save me? Either by guiding me through the whole process or maybe just tell me if this is possible without Linux and pointing me in the right direction(s)? I fell over something called "Rockchip Batch tool", but I don't know if that can be used for the process or only to flash back to the stock rom (or maybe I totally misunderstood what its for) :)

I am of course kind of afraid of breaking my device, so I don't dare to start following some guide on my own initiative, unless someone assured me that it is the right thing to do.

Thank you in advance.. :fingers-crossed:
Christina