Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] In way over my head regarding a Android stick (Mk809III)

OP Christina1992

30th August 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi guys

First of all, I am not a programmer.. Not even very tech savyy, so if "ordinary" people isn't allowed to ask around here, I apologize. I would also like to mention that english isn't my primary language, so also please forgive me for my bad english.
My problem is that I am in wayyy over my head. I bought an android (hdmi)stick over Ebay and actually kind of expected it to be plug and play. After a bit of playing around and reading up on it I realize that this is far from the case.

The item is an Azurill MK809III

I have the following problems:

When I am trying to use apps that requires a rooted device, they say it isn't rooted. When trying to use apps that doesn't allow rooted devices, the app says it is. I am quite convinced that it is, but I don't know why various apps (also apps which only purpose is to check for root) says it isn't. I would, solely for that reason like to find another (still mediacenter-friendly) rom.
I also find the movies kind of choppy. According to various posts on the internet, it's because of a problem in the way the stock "kernel" handles things. I've read various recommendations of which alternative kernel that should be used. I don't know if another rom will solve this problem also?

The problem is that it's a JUNGLE out there. I honestly don't know how to flash a rom, and when reading up on it it seems VERY complicated. I know from earlier escapades that tech-things often look more complicated in writing, but what worries me the most is that all the guides that I found includes some kind of code.. Is that Linux? And does that mean that I need to have a computer running Linux to do this?

I am a totally virgin when it comes to tampering with things on this level.. I honestly thought it would be a nice "out of the box" alternative to a Chromecast, but boy was I wrong.

Can anyone save me? Either by guiding me through the whole process or maybe just tell me if this is possible without Linux and pointing me in the right direction(s)? I fell over something called "Rockchip Batch tool", but I don't know if that can be used for the process or only to flash back to the stock rom (or maybe I totally misunderstood what its for)

I am of course kind of afraid of breaking my device, so I don't dare to start following some guide on my own initiative, unless someone assured me that it is the right thing to do.

Thank you in advance..
Christina
2nd September 2014, 08:46 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Unhappy
Bump..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread