Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Guide]How to root Honor 7

349 posts
Thanks Meter: 135

By piskr, Senior Member on 2nd August 2015, 01:18 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Why rooting Honor 7?

Huawei Honor 7 is one great Chinese phone, on design and performance side I might say that one of the best. But then, like most of branded phones, it comes with its own UI, precisely Emotions 3.1. As this UI might have a few useful options, it is generally (as many others) unwanted modification of AOSP. Most of adaptions and additional applications are adapted to the Chinese taste and feels strange to westerners.
Therefore I suggest potential buyers from the West to wait for European model which is expected to be available in early September. It may come without additional Chinese applications though it keeps Emotions UI for sure. The only way to change this at least partially is to root the phone.
In the beginning I had replaced the most inconvenient essential applications like dialer, messenger and calendar with Google’s ones and had removed all Chinese apps. But later, due to really frequently OTA updates I got tired of reverting system applications, returned all Chinese, froze them and kept only 3 additional Google apps, which I removed from the system before every update and pushed them back after.
I advise you to push desired system apps as apk files with the appropriate explorer (i.e. Root Explorer) rather than flash zip. Flashing zip according to my experience might cause bootloop (allegedly due to the inappropriate graphic parameters).

How to root Honor 7?

In the beginning I must warn you that rooting your device might be risky, especially if you don’t follow instructions. Hence, do your homework first, read everything carefully and make a nandroid after every new alternation of the system.
I’m not taking any responsibility for your device. You should be aware that it is your device and your own responsibility. I’m not a developer and therefore I might not be able to advice you if something goes wrong. I’ve just used the method described below and succeed without any issues or damage. I strongly believe that you’ll benefit from this method too If followed correctly. Do not improvise or omit any instruction.
I must apologize to not insert pictures into text, I was to short to do it in reasonable amount of time with my current knowledge. Pictures are numbered and attached.

Part 1: Unlock your bootloader

In order to root your phone, you have to unlock the bootloader first. Surprisingly, unlike in my previous cases, unlocking Honor 7 bootloader doesn’t factory reset the phone. Anyway, like always, I do not take credit for any of this material or information, so backup your contacts, texts, pictures, etc. to the computer before unlocking.
Unlocking (and relocking) procedure
Register to Huawei and obtain an unique unlock code here:
https://hwid5.vmall.com/oauth2/porta...in%2Flogin.php
Unlock your bootloader following this procedure (Google translate from Huawei web instructions):

Step 1: Preparation Work

1. Install the phone driver is properly on a PC, driver download Huawei Terminal official website.
2. Download the ADB toolkit provided by Google and installed on your PC, such as the installation to D: \ adb_tools-2.0 directory, make sure the directory with fastboot.exe file.

Step 2: Unlock Operation

1. Put the phone into fastboot mode:
First phone off (note need to be in the setup menu, close the "Quick Start" feature, or unplug the battery after shutdown, more than two seconds and then re-inserted), and then press the power button and the volume down key (flat simultaneously Press the volume keys and power button), and maintain more than 10 seconds, you can enter the fastboot mode.
If this does not enter fastboot mode, try the following steps:
Phone off (note need to be in the setup menu, close the "Quick Start" feature, or unplug the battery after shutdown, more than two seconds and then re-insert), then insert the USB cable, followed by pressing the volume down and power button key, holding more than 10 seconds, you can enter the fastboot mode.
2. Connect your phone and a PC:
Use USB cable to connect your phone and PC, open the PC command line window, enter the ADB installation directory, make sure your phone and PC is connected, confirm method in the command line window, type fastboot devices, you can see the normal connection information, such as: 9e42530e fastboot.
picture 1

3. Perform the unlock command:

Enter the PC command line window fastboot oem unlock ****************, * No. 16 unlock code, for example: fastboot oem unlock 1234567812345678.
picture 2

4. Wait for the phone to unlock:

After entering the unlock code, the phone will automatically restart, if you enter the correct password, the phone will enter restore factory settings mode. Restoring the factory setup is complete, the phone automatically restart, enter the standby interface, complete the unlocking operation. If the user enters the password information is incorrect, the phone will prompt an error message, and enters the standby interface.

5. Test if the phone is unlocked sucesfully:

Repeat steps 1 and 2, and then enter the fastboot oem get-bootinfo, phone bootloader will display the current status information, such as the PC command line window "Bootloader Lock State: LOCKED", indicates bootloader is still locked, please re-unlock operation or confirm the password is correct and then conduct; If "Bootloader Lock State: UNLOCKED", means that the phone has been unlocked, you can brush machine operation.
picture 3

Note: After unlocking success, if you want to re-lock the phone, follow these steps: First, upgrade via SD card, will be restored to Huawei mobile version of the official release version; then, enter fastboot mode, the command line at PC Enter the command fastboot oem relock ****************, * No. 16 unlock code. The phone will automatically reboot, bootloader converted to "RELOCKED" state.

Part 2: Install custom recovery

All credits go to Chinese developer Wang Hao, who invented this procedure, I’m only the interpreter.
Go to the site: http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shar...&uk=3020839592, use password: nwae and download the file. Extract and open the map: 荣耀7root工具包. Make sure that you have proper USB driver installed and ADB debugging enabled. Start command line in map 荣耀7root工具包(shift + right click of mouse simultaneously): Power off the phone and connect it with USB to the computer. On the phone pres volume down + power simultaneously. It will boot to the fastboot. Then type in the command line on the computer:
fastboot devices
if your device is recognized, type in the command line:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
when process is finished, type:
fastboot reboot
You’ll boot the system. You’ll have installed TWRP recovery in CHINESE LANGUAGE and you won’t understand anything. Luckily there is not much to understand. Configuration of the recovery is the same as in English:
picture 4

Find an English description of TWRP if you want to use more functions. For the beginning we want to root the phone so the instructions is be only about installing the SU.

Part 3: Root your phone

Copy zip file BETA-SuperSU-v2.49 from the map荣耀7root工具包 to the phone internal memory or sdcard if you have one (wherever, just remember, where it is copied) and boot to recovery: turn down your phone, wait a few secs, simultaneously press volume up and power buttons. If you can’t do it, turn phone off, wait a few secs, connect it to the computer with USB cable and press simultaneously volume up and power.
In TWRP press install (first button up and left), select zip file, where you put BETA-SuperSU-v2.49 and press the only button for installing. Then go back to the main TWRP screen, find reboot (lower right button) and boot the system (upper left button).
That’ll be all. Install Play Store from web if you don’t have it already, Busybox and one explorer with root capability (i.e. Root Explorer) for desired modification of the system. And most importantly: ALWAYS MAINTAIN AN ESCAPE LINE. DO NANDROID BEFORE ANY MODIFICATION OF THE SYSTEM.
Accepting OTA requires restoration of the original system and flashing stock recovery. Stock recovery could be flashed following procedure for TWRP flashing and could be obtained from ROM for your respective phone from the site: http://www.needrom.com/?s=honor+7&sa=search&scat=0, following procedure described in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2433454 thanks to the developer worstenbrood.
Serious advice: Don’t try to accept OTA with modified system or custom recovery installed. In first case OTA will be refused, in second case you might experience TWRP bootloop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 1.png
Views:	224
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	3425981   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 2.png
Views:	224
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	3425982   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 3.png
Views:	182
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	3425983   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 4.png
Views:	234
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	3425984  
Last edited by piskr; 10th August 2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Adding boot to the fastboot for TWRP istalling
The Following User Says Thank You to piskr For This Useful Post: [ View ]

3rd August 2015, 02:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is this really working? for which model of HONOR 7? 16GB or 64GB?
Thanks
3rd August 2015, 02:25 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by almohanad

Thanks

It's real. I did it, turned back to stock, flashed the new rom and rooted it again. I have 16 GB PLK-UL00, but the method is universal for all Honor 7 models.
The Following User Says Thank You to piskr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd August 2015, 11:30 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by piskr

It's real. I did it, turned back to stock, flashed the new rom and rooted it again. I have 16 GB PLK-UL00, but the method is universal for all Honor 7 models.

Please help, the model of Honor 7 is not listed in the models so i can get the unlock code. which model should i use?
4th August 2015, 10:18 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
You can find your respective phone model in -settings-about phone-model number. Just register and follow the procedure at: https://hwid5.vmall.com/oauth2/porta...in%2Flogin.php

To make procedure easier, I'm attaching the TWRP recovery img and SU zip file. If you have android platform tools already installed or can find them somewhere else, you don't need to seek them on pan.baidu.com, you can flash TWRP.img from any platform tools following the description above and flash SU.zip after from TWRP.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.83 MB, 30 views)
File Type: zip TWRP.zip - [Click for QR Code] (15.18 MB, 34 views)
5th August 2015, 11:41 PM |#6  
Flag Poděbrady
Thanks Meter: 68

More
I'm not able to obtain unique unlock key because there is not listed our cell on that web site. in the list of all models.
Last edited by Lucki_X; 5th August 2015 at 11:49 PM.
6th August 2015, 12:58 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucki_X

I'm not able to obtain unique unlock key because there is not listed our cell on that web site. in the list of all models.

OK. Let's start from the very beginning. Do you know what model of the phone you have? My is PLK-UL00 and I'm deriving instructions on this model. So: go to http://emui.huawei.com/, change language to English (picture 1). You'll get to http://emui.huawei.com/plugin.php?id=hwdownload. Enter your phone model and you'll jump to the menu: http://emui.huawei.com/cn/plugin.php...ock&mod=detail (picture2). Now enter requested data. In first column choose smartphone. In second enter your model. In third the product serial number as marked on the box containing your phone. Next enter IMEI of the first SIM. Then product identification code (dial *#*#1357946#*#* and you'll get it (picture3)). Enter Captha as seen at last column and enter submit. You are done and you'll get unlock code.

Use google translate on pages to understand the text. If you are unable to follow instructions you can still write Huawei for code to email address seen in attached picture (mobile.huawei.com).

Hope I helped. Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf picture 2.pdf - [Click for QR Code] (129.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: pdf picture 3.pdf - [Click for QR Code] (133.2 KB, 72 views)
Last edited by piskr; 6th August 2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added missed attachment
6th August 2015, 03:18 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucki_X

Hi,
I also had this problem - the site does not seem to list my model (PLK-AL10) on the english language one. It does list it on the Chinese one, but gives me a cryptic error and wont give me a code.
I've emailed support but no response yet.

I'll update here if I get a response from them

--Alex
6th August 2015, 07:36 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by achard

Hi,
I also had this problem - the site does not seem to list my model (PLK-AL10) on the english language one. It does list it on the Chinese one, but gives me a cryptic error and wont give me a code.
I've emailed support but no response yet.

I'll update here if I get a response from them

--Alex

I tried and i don't feel that you can't obtain the unlock code. Did you register correctly? I found that your model is listed as well in drop down menu, just credentials, which logically I don't have, are to be entered.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brush unlock - EMUI.pdf - [Click for QR Code] (135.5 KB, 90 views)
7th August 2015, 12:34 AM |#10  
Flag Poděbrady
Thanks Meter: 68

More
My model is PLK-TL01H, the site doesn't seem to list my model. I've found it in chinese version, but my IMEI is not connected with my Huawei cloud account. I'll try it tomorrow again. Thanks for advice to try Chinese version of site.
7th August 2015, 12:49 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by piskr

I tried and i don't feel that you can't obtain the unlock code. Did you register correctly? I found that your model is listed as well in drop down menu, just credentials, which logically I don't have, are to be entered.

Yes, i tried the links you provided, they are working but for some reason i am receiving the message you see in attachment,
PIC

I am 100% sure that i have entered the right info.

It seems that i have to send an email to Huawei support to gain the unlock code..

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
honor7, huawei, root, twrp, unlock bootloader
Previous Thread Next Thread