root for the rct6303w87dk w/ 5.0 lollipop

Search This thread

mayzemay

May 23, 2015
hey, i just registered here to inform you all that ive figured out a way to root the new rca viking pro, but i cant seem to get supersu to install its updated binaries... i went about it like this, i searched google for kingroot app, installed it, followed the instructions it came with, and for my own benefit, i ran it twice just to make sure it worked. and wala, root! but the downside is they have their own form of su called king user. and i hate it. i hope this info helps someone, as ive came to this site on so many occaisions and everytime something on here bailed me out of a jam, i figured it was bout time i gave to a site that contributed so much to me. i love xda, and i hope someone here can get some nice things going with this tablet. thanks for your time... May

mayzemay

May 23, 2015
info on the RCT6303W87DK

also, FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, DO NOT CHANGE THE GENERIC.kl file on this device!!! the keyboard that comes with it, and the volume and power buttons on the device will NO LONGER function!!! just got a replacement from wallyworld because of my epic failure.... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! :good:

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
I tried a few different methods last night to install supersu binaries effectively breaking root a few times all resulting in using king root to "reroot". The main issue I'm having is it immediately has an update to version 1.9.1 (tablet firmware).. To get around this prompt lock the tablet, turn screen back on but unlock it with camera (bottom right). After doing this you get home rows back. Now since root I'm getting failures to install the update and every time it comes on I'm promoted for the update multiple times. Any ideas?

mayzemay

May 23, 2015
I tried a few different methods last night to install supersu binaries effectively breaking root a few times all resulting in using king root to "reroot". The main issue I'm having is it immediately has an update to version 1.9.1 (tablet firmware).. To get around this prompt lock the tablet, turn screen back on but unlock it with camera (bottom right). After doing this you get home rows back. Now since root I'm getting failures to install the update and every time it comes on I'm promoted for the update multiple times. Any ideas?

you have to be unrooted to apply system updates... then re root. king root should have an unroot option in app, so un rooting isnt hard. or you can hook the tab to your pc and use kingo to unroot. it will unroot, but it wont root...

simstimstar

Feb 17, 2010
I can confirm that kingroot does in fact have an option to unroot. I can also confirm that it is able to reroot after the 1.9.1 update.

Mine updated to that the first time I turned it on and I lost the update file. Can anyone tell a difference before and after the update?

I'm going to do a full stock ROM dump tonight to share. Just in case me or anyone else screws theirs up. I want to install a custom recovery and don't want to take any chances with it. Locked mtk bootloaders are ugly. Especially on these newer chipsets which cannot be unlocked as easily as the old ones.

Btw, before I finally found kingroot I must have tried about thirty different ways to root this thing. I tried several on phone root apps and a bunch of ones which required a pc connection to work and I came up short.

I got partial root with iroot 1.7 something for PC. It installed kingroot and would say that it was granting root to apps but noting actually had root.

Finally I found the latest version of vroot. V1.8 something, it had the same root database number as the earlier iroot which I had, though. Then I installed the pdanet drivers and ran the vroot and it worked! Finally! I spent hours on the stupid thing.

I did try the kingroot (iroot) apk and it couldn't root it and suggested I try the PC version.

What I'm getting at is that possibly fw 1.9.1 is just a security patch that makes it harder to root. Because when I tried the apk it couldn't handle it and I had to use the PC version with pdanet drivers to get it to work. While the apk worked for you on v1.9.0 (mine updated the first time I powered it on).

So if you install the update you might want to watch out for that.

It may be possible to stop the forced ota with fotakill. Just Google the apk and place it in your /system/app folder, then delete it rename the update in your cache folder and restart.

That has always worked for me so far on all of my other Android devices.

Cheers,
-SS

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
Used titanium back up to freeze the updater. Went to Dev options, enabled show processor usage or something to that nature.. Watched for any thing popping up that said update. I don't remember the exact apk but a simple search with in titanium for the word update returns the only app containing it. This did indeed solve my problem about the constant update. Also another work around to bypass the update, tell it to "download and install" then immediately his stop/cancel download. This will be my last post for now on the device as I no longer own it.

Have a blessed day!

Reactions: omgitsMATT

mayzemay

May 23, 2015
For those wanting wired controller support, tincore works wonderfully. Im using an official xbox360 control and it controls the ui and a majority of my games. Emulators as well. This is pretty much the only way to use a wired control on this tablet as far as i know. I've tried dozens of methods to no avail. Still trying to get su up and running as well. King root does function but id prefer something im used to. Anyone know of a custom recovery that'd work on this thing???

Reactions: safarial

mayzemay

May 23, 2015
I can confirm that kingroot does in fact have an option to unroot. I can also confirm that it is able to reroot after the 1.9.1 update.

Mine updated to that the first time I turned it on and I lost the update file. Can anyone tell a difference before and after the update?

I'm going to do a full stock ROM dump tonight to share. Just in case me or anyone else screws theirs up. I want to install a custom recovery and don't want to take any chances with it. Locked mtk bootloaders are ugly. Especially on these newer chipsets which cannot be unlocked as easily as the old ones.

Btw, before I finally found kingroot I must have tried about thirty different ways to root this thing. I tried several on phone root apps and a bunch of ones which required a pc connection to work and I came up short.

I got partial root with iroot 1.7 something for PC. It installed kingroot and would say that it was granting root to apps but noting actually had root.

Finally I found the latest version of vroot. V1.8 something, it had the same root database number as the earlier iroot which I had, though. Then I installed the pdanet drivers and ran the vroot and it worked! Finally! I spent hours on the stupid thing.

I did try the kingroot (iroot) apk and it couldn't root it and suggested I try the PC version.

What I'm getting at is that possibly fw 1.9.1 is just a security patch that makes it harder to root. Because when I tried the apk it couldn't handle it and I had to use the PC version with pdanet drivers to get it to work. While the apk worked for you on v1.9.0 (mine updated the first time I powered it on).

So if you install the update you might want to watch out for that.

It may be possible to stop the forced ota with fotakill. Just Google the apk and place it in your /system/app folder, then delete it rename the update in your cache folder and restart.

That has always worked for me so far on all of my other Android devices.

Cheers,
-SS

When I first got the tablet, i let it update then got the kingroot apk, installed it and it rooted. The one i used is in chinese but it had instructions and i followed them to the t. It worked. And the back up of the rom would be greatly appreciated by ALOT of us trust me. Especially me...?

mayzemay

May 23, 2015
Overall, this is a pretty nice tablet to own. The space alone is worth the price of admission. The specs are decent as well. Quad core, mali gpu, one gb ram, the detachable keyboard, oh i could go on. Im a heavy gamer and this is perfect for me. I have all the power i need to run everything i use. And with a 32 gb sdcard and 32gb internal, thats plenty storage for pretty much anything. I recommend this device to anyone looking for performance on a budget. 10/10

simstimstar

Feb 17, 2010
Yes, I'ts very nice. I couldn't find anything else that would even come close to it in that price range. Even used ones....

I was able to edit some config files for mrkdroidtools and got it working properly with mt8127 for the most part. At least now it will create the proper scatter file (in the correct format) for mt8127. Even though it's working properly to create the scatter, you have to use Windows enabler to allow to click the greyed out scatter file button. Before if you did that it would create a scatter in the old format without correctly identifying partition types and even not setting the correct partition sizes in the scatter. Also the chip was identified incorrectly before and now it's not.

All of the mt8127 scatters I have seen use scatter v1.1.2 (not the old format) and now I got it to output that. With proper scatter you can manually pull each partition correctly in spft.

Mtkdroidtools will now partially work for backup. It will pull firmware.info, mounts.info, and phone.info. along with NVRAM and /system only. Can't pull the others because the partitionsions are locked. Even with insecure adb (root ADB) and selinux set to permissive.. You can get old style scatter from firmware.info and mtk studio, but better to let mtkdroidtools pull the correct one.

It will try to make the CWM recovery but fails out. Magic twrp will now create the correct recovery and push it to the phone (with files from spft backup) but the recovery won't work due to the locked loader.

At least I know my backup works now because I was able to reflash the original recovery with it (this is how I screwed up my first one, which ended up going back to Wal-Mart). That first one stopped booting, but it was still recognized by spft. I just had no backup to fix it with. If they rma it, I'm sure it can be reflashed with original firmware and resold.

I will be putting this all in a toolkit and uploading. This can benefit all devices with mt8127, not just us. I also have the latest spft and I even found the checksum.exe in another package somewhere. This can be used to generate the firmware checksums for spft so you don't have to flash with checksum turned off (safer).

Haven't tried to reroot with mtkdroidtools because I think the supersu is pretty old. Don't think it will work properly in lollipop.

I wish there was a way to unlock the bootloader. I poked around in my backup of it and it clearly references files from NVRAM. Files with checksums and lists. I would think that there would be some other tablet sold under a different brand which is unlocked out there
Somewhere which is the same as ours.

Gotta run. I'll try to upload the toolkit after work if there is time. I need to clean up my backup to remove personal files from data before uploading. If it's an emergency and someone needs backup without /data I can provide now. Don't know if it will work though because kingroot resides on data. Perhaps it will work just can't authorize root.

Cheers!
-SimStim

simstimstar

Feb 17, 2010
Again, with the new one I got I couldn't root with the latest iRoot from the PC until pdanet was installed on the phone. Then it worked fine.

Without pdanet it will get temp root, then restart and when kingroot automatic root check runs it says no root and will try again and again in a loop.

With pdanet, temp root, reboot, and it's permanent root.

Just in case anyone is trying to root via this method.
Cheers!
-SimStim

mayzemay

May 23, 2015
Again, with the new one I got I couldn't root with the latest iRoot from the PC until pdanet was installed on the phone. Then it worked fine.

Without pdanet it will get temp root, then restart and when kingroot automatic root check runs it says no root and will try again and again in a loop.

With pdanet, temp root, reboot, and it's permanent root.

Just in case anyone is trying to root via this method.
Cheers!
-SimStim
You may be right... The first one i had i let kingoroot on the pc download and install some drivers. And i used pdanet awhile ago for a previous rca tab and never deleted the drivers, so maybe thats why it worked flawlessly the second time. If you have a custom recovery installed, which did you use and how'd you install it?

simstimstar

Feb 17, 2010
I tried the "magic" auto-build of CWM and TWRP, but neither one works because of the locked boot loader.

Which also makes me wonder if my backup would work on someone else's tab... The 7" RCA tab on here with the prerooted ROM works because they found another tablet which was the same and had an unlocked bootloader. At least that's what understood from it. I could be wrong though. I didn't read all 35 pages (or however many).

I'll try and double check that
Cheers,
-SimStim

Reactions: mayzemay

mayzemay

May 23, 2015
I tried the "magic" auto-build of CWM and TWRP, but neither one works because of the locked boot loader.

Which also makes me wonder if my backup would work on someone else's tab... The 7" RCA tab on here with the prerooted ROM works because they found another tablet which was the same and had an unlocked bootloader. At least that's what understood from it. I could be wrong though. I didn't read all 35 pages (or however many).

I'll try and double check that
Cheers,
-SimStim

any progress yet? ive been searching hi and lo for custom recoveries that work to no avail. i want to try and unlock the bootloader but im afraid i may screw somthing up if i cant restore a backup. i guess its a chance im willing to take if it furthers development on this tablet. i honestly want to rip lollipop off of here and run jb 4.2.2. personally i think thats the best version of android yet. at least with funcionality. and the fact you can just plug and play on that version is a plus for me!!! hope you come across something....
may

simstimstar

Feb 17, 2010
I'm planning to return mine. I started looking around at tablets in this price range and have decided to buy a Pipo M9S instead. The price is pretty close and it absolutely spanks this device in hardware specs.

I'm somewhat biased, because I have an Android tv device based on the RK3288 and I know how fast it is. The hardware video decoder is the best I've seen yet. Plus it is so nice not to have to deal with the locked bootloader.

I wanted an RK3288 based tablet before, but was put off by the $200-300 price range which I had seen on the Pipo P9 and the P1. Then just recently I found that I could get a p7 for ~150 and an M9S for ~$175, so I've decided that I would much rather go that way(M9S).

I will hang on to my backup of this device in case it will come in handy for anyone else in the future.

Cheers,
-SimStim

mayzemay

May 23, 2015
Yes, I'ts very nice. I couldn't find anything else that would even come close to it in that price range. Even used ones....

I was able to edit some config files for mrkdroidtools and got it working properly with mt8127 for the most part. At least now it will create the proper scatter file (in the correct format) for mt8127. Even though it's working properly to create the scatter, you have to use Windows enabler to allow to click the greyed out scatter file button. Before if you did that it would create a scatter in the old format without correctly identifying partition types and even not setting the correct partition sizes in the scatter. Also the chip was identified incorrectly before and now it's not.

All of the mt8127 scatters I have seen use scatter v1.1.2 (not the old format) and now I got it to output that. With proper scatter you can manually pull each partition correctly in spft.

Mtkdroidtools will now partially work for backup. It will pull firmware.info, mounts.info, and phone.info. along with NVRAM and /system only. Can't pull the others because the partitionsions are locked. Even with insecure adb (root ADB) and selinux set to permissive.. You can get old style scatter from firmware.info and mtk studio, but better to let mtkdroidtools pull the correct one.

It will try to make the CWM recovery but fails out. Magic twrp will now create the correct recovery and push it to the phone (with files from spft backup) but the recovery won't work due to the locked loader.

At least I know my backup works now because I was able to reflash the original recovery with it (this is how I screwed up my first one, which ended up going back to Wal-Mart). That first one stopped booting, but it was still recognized by spft. I just had no backup to fix it with. If they rma it, I'm sure it can be reflashed with original firmware and resold.

I will be putting this all in a toolkit and uploading. This can benefit all devices with mt8127, not just us. I also have the latest spft and I even found the checksum.exe in another package somewhere. This can be used to generate the firmware checksums for spft so you don't have to flash with checksum turned off (safer).

Haven't tried to reroot with mtkdroidtools because I think the supersu is pretty old. Don't think it will work properly in lollipop.

I wish there was a way to unlock the bootloader. I poked around in my backup of it and it clearly references files from NVRAM. Files with checksums and lists. I would think that there would be some other tablet sold under a different brand which is unlocked out there
Somewhere which is the same as ours.

Gotta run. I'll try to upload the toolkit after work if there is time. I need to clean up my backup to remove personal files from data before uploading. If it's an emergency and someone needs backup without /data I can provide now. Don't know if it will work though because kingroot resides on data. Perhaps it will work just can't authorize root.

Cheers!
-SimStim

if you still have it, can you upload that stock image and the tools you have? or send them to me via email? ive done something terrible and i wish to go back to stock until i figure something else out. if you can do it via email, heres my address-mayzeman28@live.com- thanks

Jun 2, 2014
Mooresville, NC
How can I contribute

While I haven't had any issues with my DK on v1.9.1, I'm always interested in the latest and greatest Android ROM. I've got my fingers crossed for you on making restore images so you can get another ROM built on this. So, if I can contribute, even if it is paypal'ing $20 to pay toward a second tablet for you to work on, let me know.

Regards,
David

Phexyaa

Jul 14, 2015
Is anyone working on unlocking the bootloader of this device? Fastboot allows me to see the "press volume up key to unlock" screen using fastboot oem unlock, however it does not respond to volume keys. Being that I got that far could it possibly succeed if it didn't have to prompt for permission?

Last edited:

simstimstar

Feb 17, 2010
It's going to be really tough to try and crack it. The RCA 7" tablet here on xda that got an unlocked loader because they found out that there was a Cube branded tablet which was identical, except it had an unlocked boot loader.

RCA is not the actual manufacturer (I forget who is, but cpu-z will tell you I think). Perhaps if someone were to contact the manufacturer and find out which other companies they OEM that tablet hardware to. Then check them out for unlocked bootloaders.

I would be willing to bet that they may not reveal that info so easily, so try looking around for similar hardware.

I found on a benchmarking site that the RCA 10" which doesn't have the keyboard is also the same spec and model number as a model sold by gigabyte. I don't know the status of the bootloader, though. If you flash it you risk bricking your tablet.

MTK is pretty much the opposite of rockchip, who has made their devices nearly brick proof. MTK devices with locked bootloaders are very likely to brick because of the security measures built in, odd and often encrypted filesystems with specific hashes for certain partitions, write protection on the main system partions. It's really a massive pain in the neck. Those are the reasons why I decided to get rid of mine.

It's rooted and someone who doesn't want to build custom ROMs will be perfectly happy with it. Me, I want full access! Really the tablet is pretty nice. Just not if you want custom recovery, kennel, unofficial ROMs, etc.

I'm still looking. It's probably out there somewhere. I'll be sure to post if I see anything.

Cheers,
-SS

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
How do you know the bootloader is locked? I see walmart has cut the price on them, I haven't seen any rca tablets with bootloader locked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey, i just registered here to inform you all that ive figured out a way to root the new rca viking pro, but i cant seem to get supersu to install its updated binaries... i went about it like this, i searched google for kingroot app, installed it, followed the instructions it came with, and for my own benefit, i ran it twice just to make sure it worked. and wala, root! but the downside is they have their own form of su called king user. and i hate it. i hope this info helps someone, as ive came to this site on so many occaisions and everytime something on here bailed me out of a jam, i figured it was bout time i gave to a site that contributed so much to me. i love xda, and i hope someone here can get some nice things going with this tablet. thanks for your time... May
    info on the RCT6303W87DK

also, FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, DO NOT CHANGE THE GENERIC.kl file on this device!!! the keyboard that comes with it, and the volume and power buttons on the device will NO LONGER function!!! just got a replacement from wallyworld because of my epic failure.... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! :good:
    Looking forward to the step by step instructions. My kids will be very happy if this works as the tablet will be going to them.

I am not responsible for anything that happens in your life including what happens to your tablet as a result of these steps.

Steps(Windows 7):
    1- Install the drivers( they are unsigned don't worry it's ok.)
    2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug a male to male usb wire from the computer to the usb port on the tablet. now plug the power wire into the tablet(at this point your computer should detect the preloader and install the driver). Once that is done, unplug the power cable from the tablet.
    3- Extract the firmware and the sp flash tools to your desktop.
    4- Start the sp flash tools and where it says scatter file loading click and navigate to the folder where you have the firmware and load the scatter file. You will see the firware get loaded and a checksum check.
    5- Once that is done, Click on the download button.
    6- Plug the power cable into your tablet. At this point the sp flash tool will load the firmware into the tablet. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL THE SP FLASH TOOLS SHOWS YOU A GREEN CHECK MARK TO INDICATE THAT IT IS DONE OR YOUR TABLET WILL BE HARD BRICKED AND UNREPAIRABLE.
    7- Press the reset button and turn it on. Done!

Sp Flash Tools(Download version:SP_Flash_Tool_V5.1532.zip)

Working Firmware

Driver Auto Installer v5.1524.03

Sources:
    http://laurentiumihet.ro/technology/download-sp-flash-tool-v3-v5-latest-versions/
    http://www.needrom.com/download/mtk-driver-auto-installer-v5-1453-03/
    And Google of coarse...
    Doing some testing….

ced55b79b5ffb31ac96fab00e9f2a251.jpg

6c86280bab7a0a4f646d5dc24a668097.jpg
    I am not responsible for anything that happens in your life including what happens to your tablet as a result of these steps.

it's not a bad question to have. basically they have different software packs depending on where its sold and when it's sold and each firmware version(10.12.x-1.12.x-2.12.x-1.9.x-10.9.x -b- v63-v66-v70-etc...) is a different branch of devellopment.
    the newest one was found by ewiley2008 and its new from this month and its v70. From what i've seen, the important part of the firmware is the .12 or .9. Those are not compatible with each other. so 10.12.20 or 1.12.30 or 1.12.20 or 2.12.20 can intermix but put any firmware with a .9 instead of the .12 and you got yourself a paperweight. an other thing a user on this thread said that is good practice, I'm sorry I forgot who it was, is when flashing firmware that you are not sure about, omit the preloader when flashing and you can always go back. and one more thing, there are partitions in the tablet that are not included in the firmware so never format and flash with sp flash tools or you will have some bugs. mine had a gost wifi network call "nvram err (0x1)" or something like that and the hdmi stopped working. so don't format. The v70 is the smoothest one i've used so far fyi

Steps(Windows 7):
    1- Install the drivers( they are unsigned don't worry it's ok.)
    2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug a male to male usb wire from the computer to the usb port on the tablet. now plug the power wire into the tablet(at this point your computer should detect the preloader and install the driver). Once that is done, unplug the power cable from the tablet.
    3- Extract the firmware and the sp flash tools to your desktop.
    4- Start the sp flash tools and where it says scatter file loading click and navigate to the folder where you have the firmware and load the scatter file. You will see the firmware get loaded and a checksum check.
    5- Once that is done, Click on the download button.
    6- Plug the power cable into your tablet. At this point the sp flash tool will load the firmware into the tablet. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL THE SP FLASH TOOLS SHOWS YOU A GREEN CHECK MARK TO INDICATE THAT IT IS DONE OR YOUR TABLET WILL BE HARD BRICKED AND UNREPAIRABLE.
    7- Press the reset button and turn it on. Done!

Sp Flash Tools(Download version SP_Flash_Tool_V5.1532.zip)

Sp Driver Installer

RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V63-V2.12.20-B-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20150811(Horisontal Splash)

RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V63-V10.12.0_T8515B_V6.3_PCDDR31G_20151106.zip(Vertical Splash)

RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V70-V1.12.30-B-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20160121.zip(Horizontal Splash)

Sources:
    http://laurentiumihet.ro/technology/download-sp-flash-tool-v3-v5-latest-versions/
    http://www.needrom.com/download/mtk-driver-auto-installer-v5-1453-03/
    http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=2...ategory/type=0
    http://baiduyun.57fx.cn/so-result.html?keyword=RCT6303W87DK&type=share
    And Google of coarse...