Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Rugged phone

OP Mokele Mbembe

15th December 2014, 06:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag On the border
Thanks Meter: 2

40 posts
More
Dear folks,
I need to hear your thoughts about rugged phones.
Basically, i an tired of drowning and destroying my phones during my outdoor activity (mostly fishing and hunting). I have had great Motorola defy, but recently got a nice corporate plan on Telus with a decent coverage, and a lot of data. Bought myself a moto g lte edition as a temporary solution, but need something nice and sturdy. Thought originally about any xperia z (1, 2, 3, whatever), they are indeed waterproof, but look flimsy. Recent Kyocera phones look nice, but brigadier is out of question, as it's for Verizon only and no one rooted it yet. Duraforce could be unlocked, i know, and used for telus, but no one knows about it. Samsung rugby is a but outdated. What would you guys buy (especially those who spend a lot of time in the wild)?
Thanks in advance!
P.S. Please don't suggest me an otterbox or a bag. The phone must be waterproof and LTE enabled
Last edited by Mokele Mbembe; 15th December 2014 at 07:02 AM.
15th December 2014, 08:40 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele Mbembe

Dear folks,
I need to hear your thoughts about rugged phones.
Basically, i an tired of drowning and destroying my phones during my outdoor activity (mostly fishing and hunting). I have had great Motorola defy, but recently got a nice corporate plan on Telus with a decent coverage, and a lot of data. Bought myself a moto g lte edition as a temporary solution, but need something nice and sturdy. Thought originally about any xperia z (1, 2, 3, whatever), they are indeed waterproof, but look flimsy. Recent Kyocera phones look nice, but brigadier is out of question, as it's for Verizon only and no one rooted it yet. Duraforce could be unlocked, i know, and used for telus, but no one knows about it. Samsung rugby is a but outdated. What would you guys buy (especially those who spend a lot of time in the wild)?
Thanks in advance!
P.S. Please don't suggest me an otterbox or a bag. The phone must be waterproof and LTE enabled

Well, all the brands you mentioned doesn't provide professional rugged phones you need. Instead of brands like Motorola, Xperia, Kyocera or Samsung, my advice is that it could be better for you to focus on professional dust-proof, shock-proof and water-proof rugged phones. ZGPAX S9 Rugged Android 4.2.2 phone supporting PTT / SOS / GPS / Compass could be an ideal rugged phone for outdoor activity enthusiasts.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingsbuying For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th December 2014, 09:07 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag On the border

40 posts
More
2G only on Telus
But thanks anyway
15th December 2014, 09:17 AM   |  #4  

13 posts
Get an old razr phone
15th December 2014, 09:22 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag On the border

40 posts
More
Razr Max?
"splash resistant " only
15th December 2014, 10:11 AM   |  #6  

13 posts
lolz no old razr. Flipy fone. Imposbile to break. they work so good motorola must make new version that break easier, make moar monies.

Look, you have special needs for fone. Nobody wants make fone for you, it's not profible. You can get good waterproof phone, but you must sacrifice. Can't have it all. Either get ottobox or get fone designed for waterusage. Extreme sprots phone.

youve already done you reserch, asking here won't change fone market. You must choose what's most imporant for you
15th December 2014, 10:17 AM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag On the border

40 posts
More
Thanks, I was asking about personal thoughts and experiences. For now, I am kind of torn between Kyocera duraforce and galaxy s5 active, but that may change. I have few more months before new season.
15th December 2014, 10:21 AM   |  #8  

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele Mbembe

Thanks, I was asking about personal thoughts and experiences. For now, I am kind of torn between Kyocera duraforce and galaxy s5 active, but that may change. I have few more months before new season.

Hope you get good new phone! Never fun to compromise. When fones first designed, engineers design them to last for 5 years. Phone companys say thats bad, plan obsoletence make moar money. Engineers want to give u good fone. It's thanks to greed we get what we has

engineers take pride in work. Take antennas for example. Thanks to new fractal designs, huge annetta fit in tiny new fone. Signal amazing compared to old fones. Engieers and math people make brilliant work. But it only included because it profitble for fone companies. Wish engineers were allowed to do moar for us.
Last edited by retconnie; 15th December 2014 at 10:24 AM.
15th December 2014, 10:55 AM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag On the border

40 posts
More
The world is not perfect my friend. You are right : more phones become waterproof means less phones drown, which means less replacement phones are purchased - sales go down = non-profitable
16th December 2014, 03:59 AM   |  #10  

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsbuying

Well, all the brands you mentioned doesn't provide professional rugged phones you need. Instead of brands like Motorola, Xperia, Kyocera or Samsung, my advice is that it could be better for you to focus on professional dust-proof, shock-proof and water-proof rugged phones. ZGPAX S9 Rugged Android 4.2.2 phone supporting PTT / SOS / GPS / Compass could be an ideal rugged phone for outdoor activity enthusiasts.

thanks for your sharing .this item seems very sturdy from its cover .i just want to buy
one for my outdoor water activity .

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread