FORUMS

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

OnePlus 2 Teardown, Major Android Vulnerability – XDA TV

The OnePlus 2 has been officially released. That and much more news is … more

ZTE Zinger aka Whirl 2, aka Prelude 2, aka Salem Z667, Z667G, Z667T ($10 Android GSM)

216 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By _ck_, Senior Member on 11th November 2014, 07:22 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I cannot find a thread for the ZTE Zinger Z667T yet.

Maybe it is too new? Or am I searching badly?

Low end phone but it is a dirt cheap GSM ($10 !) yet fast dual core with KitKat 4.4.2

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/ZTE-Z667_id8985

The hardware buttons are WAY too bright and and haptic feedback is way too strong.

Hoping those can be addressed someday as well as reprogramming hardware buttons.

Framaroot and towelroot do not work on it. Bootloader rom replacement is probably a pipedream?

Apparently this phone is also sold as the "Whirl 2" same exact specs and internal model number (Z667G) for $10 at some dollar stores

This post is a must read for the possible future of these models:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...8#post57312948

2015-05-13 Whirl2 has been partially rooted (adb shell root)
Last edited by _ck_; 14th May 2015 at 07:58 PM.

12th November 2014, 12:52 AM |#2  
Flag Iowa
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I picked one of these up as well. I would be happy just with root, no need for a ROM here. I am curious how long it will take to get root access. I might play around with rooting, but really have no idea where to start at.
12th November 2014, 02:05 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD41

I picked one of these up as well. I would be happy just with root, no need for a ROM here. I am curious how long it will take to get root access. I might play around with rooting, but really have no idea where to start at.

I have 7 of these! Would love to root them so I can run a VNC server on them.
12th November 2014, 04:46 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ck_

I cannot find a thread for the ZTE Zinger Z667T yet.

Maybe it is too new? Or am I searching badly?

Low end phone but it is a dirt cheap GSM ($10 !) yet fast dual core with KitKat 4.4.2

The hardware buttons are WAY too bright and and haptic feedback is way too strong.

Hoping those can be addressed someday as well as reprogramming hardware buttons.

Framaroot and towelroot do not work on it. Bootloader rom replacement is probably a pipedream?

Yeah, I tried Kingo Root as well. It ran for about 15 min and reset twice. Its doing something with it, but not rooting. I'd like vnc as well. Good luck guys!!
12th November 2014, 06:50 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
The only chance at root for now perhaps is for someone to go through all the permutations that geohot allows inside of towelroot via modstrings:

https://towelroot.com/modstrings.html

Hopefully zte did not patch it after June 3rd because then none of the futex bug root hacks are going to work and we might have to wait a long time for another exploit to be found.

I'll happily send one of these phones to any established developer who has proven they can root other phones without known exploits, no need to return it, PM me.

Or better yet, maybe we all can somehow contribute to a "bounty" for rooting it, which might motivate talented people.
Last edited by _ck_; 12th November 2014 at 06:59 AM.
13th November 2014, 03:59 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
count me in for a root also!
The Following User Says Thank You to illtww For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th November 2014, 04:09 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
+1 for root, I'd love it
13th November 2014, 04:25 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
I'm not sure how to do this officially but I'll offer a 100K (100,000) dogecoin reward for any developer producing a working root for this device.

Note the reward is for the actual developer, not someone who just finds another tool that does it.

Less than 5% of dogecoin remains unmined so they are bound to increase a bit in value over time.

Maybe others can contribute to the reward as well.
Last edited by _ck_; 30th November 2014 at 08:19 AM.
13th November 2014, 04:59 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ck_

I'm not sure how to do this officially but I'll offer a 100K (100,000) dogecoin reward for any developer producing a working root for this device.

And another 100K (100,000) for an opensource unlock calculator (from imei).

Note the reward is for the actual developer, not someone who just finds another tool that does it.

Less than 5% of dogecoin remains unmined so they are bound to increase a bit in value over time.

Maybe others can contribute to the reward as well.

Awesome. Does anyone know if there is a better section for this?
15th November 2014, 04:34 PM |#10  

More
Where would be the best section to post so a dev would see this? I'm sure we can get a real bounty going.
15th November 2014, 07:03 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Picked some of these for Perk TV They run pretty well.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
z667, z667g, z667t, zinger, zte
Previous Thread Next Thread